• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Charles Tyrwhitt Shirt Sale - 2/$100

Gordon Geeko

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BBdude
Can you link me to a Golden Fleece BB shirt on their website? I've shopped there a lot and never saw a Golden Fleece dress shirt.

Sorry I just edited my post. I confused the luxury fit with GF.

AgentQ

Reaction score
Love ur handle haha.

Can you link me to a Golden Fleece BB shirt on their website? I've shopped there a lot and never saw a Golden Fleece dress shirt.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...lor=Light-blue

Golden Fleece just refers to their "highest-end" apparel, regardless of whether it is dress shirt, polo, or suit. It just so happens that the Golden Fleece dress shirts are all under "luxury fit."

billiebob

Reaction score
I don' t think Golden Fleece BB dress shirts are even sold online. They are at least $225 in stores. There is some hand sewing, great fabrics, and nice MOP buttons. They fit like tents.

The lux fit shirts are still blousy, but good fabrics and quality.

CT slim fit 100s aren't as nice as the BB lux shirts, but they fit a little better. The durability of my CTs has been excellent. My Paul Stuart slim fit shirt collars are bubbling a little, the only shirts ever to do this.

H and M are not really in the same conversation, but they have an awesome slim fit.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At that price, Charles Tyrwhitt shirts aren't bad.
However, they're not great, either.

Certainly, their standard shirts are quite blousy - but that's the same as the vast majority of off-the-rack dress shirts available, particularly in the US and Australia.

My primary complaint about CT shirts is the stiffness of the collars - I think that the interlining is far too stiff. After all, if one is using collar stiffeners, the interlining should be quite soft.

A point in their favour is the wide variety of patterns that CT offers in their shirts, some of which are very nice and quite unusual. A few years ago, I picked up a very pale orange shirt with a narrow blue and purple overcheck on a 60% final discount. I only wear it every couple of months, but it only cost me something like $40.

BBdude

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
Since I'm not in the market for RTW shirts, I probably couldn't be of much help. You might want to take a trip to your local Marshalls/TJ Maxx, where, from time to time, I've seen Ike Behar and Robert Talbott shirts on sale for $40 or less (sometimes significantly less). Both are an option far better than Tyrwhitt.

TJ Maxx and Marshalls is a great idea, but everything I've ever found there is the wrong size or hideous.

Too bad those Behar and Talbott shirts are so much $$. Just by the looks of them they've got to be $150 a pop.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TJ Maxx and Marshalls is a great idea, but everything I've ever found there is the wrong size or hideous.

Too bad those Behar and Talbott shirts are so much $$. Just by the looks of them they've got to be $150 a pop.

Heck, then give Sierra Trading Post a whirl. They have quite a few Behar and Talbott dress shirts at $70 or $80 a pop. Combined with a 20% coupon, that gets you within shouting distance of Tyrwhitt's offer.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In this price range, I own shirts from:

-- CT
-- JCrew
-- Gap and various brands (for example, Calvin Klein and Tailorbyrd) I've found at Filene's

I'll focus on CT and JCrew, since (a) finding something at Filene's or a another similar discount store is something you can't count on, (b) some of my Filene's shirts have required tailoring, which takes them out of your price range, and (c) nobody from SF shops at the Gap. (Apparently, nobody shops at the Gap, regardless of their SF membership. They've been losing money for years.)

-- Fit: Tossup. CT's shirts fit me well, but the collars are too small, and the collars on some of their casual shirts have no stiffeners. Stay away from those, as they curl awkwardly. Also, while most on the forum insist on CT's slim fit, I've found either fit works well for me. As for JCrew, their collars are small, too, but work better for me. However, despite their "tailored" fit, I'm left with extra fabric in the waist, though not enough to bother taking them in.

-- Construction quality: JCrew wins hands down despite the plastic buttons. I worry about busting seams and losing buttons on my CT shirts. The JCrew shirts have held up to more abuse. I regularly go to the beach in my JCrew button downs and don't hesitate to tussle with my dogs. I wouldn't dream of doing that in my CT shirts, as I'd be returning their shell buttons to the sea.

-- Fabric: Tossup. CT's fabrics are all over the map in terms of quality, but they've got an edge on fun patterns. JCrew's choices are consistent. They use one of two (three if you include TM; both are fine) yarns, and weave these into relatively boring patterns.

I post this not to convince you to buy from JCrew, but because I think it's helpful to think about what you like and dislike in your shirts, regardless of the brand you choose. As you can see, my post includes a lot of information that's specific to me, and won't generalize to you or other members well (just because I can like either CT fit, doesn't mean you will; just because I find the extra fabric on JCrew's waist acceptable doesn't mean you will, or that you'll have any for that matter; you may have no need to tussle with large dogs in your dress shirts; etc.).

My advice: EXPERIMENT. When you first join, there is a barrage of information, and it is really tempting to say, "Hey this sounds like exactly what I need--I'll grab a bunch to fill the gaps in my wardrobe," especially since things feel like such a better bargain than what you were getting in B&M stores prior to joining. Instead, at first, buy one-two of a variety of brands so that you can experience them first hand, and also so that you see how they wear, in practice and with time. I did not always show this kind of restraint when I first joined, and now have several items of clothing that at best, needed to be tailored before I could wear them, or at worst, just sit in my closet because they weren't as successful in practice as they sounded in theory.

In short, it sounds like CT might be a good fit for you, so by all means give 'em a twirl. But start by buying at most two (ideally, very different) shirts.

This is my longest SF post ever.
teacha.gif

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
You might want to take a trip to your local Marshalls/TJ Maxx, where, from time to time, I've seen Ike Behar and Robert Talbott shirts on sale for $40 or less (sometimes significantly less). Both are an option far better than Tyrwhitt.

I second this recommendation. Try eBay as well, with some patience you can definitely get far better shirts, even at CT's "sale price".

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
I would take a serious look at CEGO this month. I plan on heading to NY City to take advantage of his discounts and what I've heard to be excellent quality and service.

Is this who makes some of Colin Powell's shirts?

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a few Charles Tywitt shirts that have been in regular rotation (probably 1x/month for several years), my dad used to get them for me for X-mas. I don't mind them, they could be cut better, but nothing a tailor can't fix, they have held up fine. I recently got some T.M. Lewin slim-fit shirts, and I like both fit and quality more. They are having a 4 for 100 pound sale currently, and after the 17% discount on VAT, I got them shipped for around $150. You may have to pay a bit more to shorten the sleeves, but I like their fabrics a lot.

http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/

StylingUK

Reaction score
This deal is definitely worth it for people in the UK. With CT's free alterations, I decided to purchase two shirts knowing full well its not the most popular choice in here. Since I live in the UK, its hard to get a quality shirt for £25 including sleeve shortening. I know Lewin would be a better choice but I'd have to buy 4 shirts in order to get the same price and have to pay additional costs for sleeve alterations. And if I don't like the CT, I can just return them for a refund. I wish here in UK, things are at least close to prices in the US. But its not going to happen so for £25/shirt, its worth a shot. Yes I know MTM shirts are another option...but don't get me started. I'm still crying over my MTM suit
frown.gif

BBdude

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrZRM
I have a few Charles Tywitt shirts that have been in regular rotation (probably 1x/month for several years), my dad used to get them for me for X-mas. I don't mind them, they could be cut better, but nothing a tailor can't fix, they have held up fine. I recently got some T.M. Lewin slim-fit shirts, and I like both fit and quality more. They are having a 4 for 100 pound sale currently, and after the 17% discount on VAT, I got them shipped for around $150. You may have to pay a bit more to shorten the sleeves, but I like their fabrics a lot.

http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/

Wow. These shirts are great. Wonder what their return policy is. Can you compare their slim fits to that of a slim fit BB shirt? I'm a pretty built guy so I need a little room for my shoulders, haha.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics