Charles Tyrwhitt Reviews and Fitting

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LooksGood, Feb 16, 2013.

1. AFCForever

AFCForever Active Member

To answer the first question shrinkage has never been a problem.

As far as which shirts I like I find their thinner poplins very wrinkle prone so I am not keen but some of the patterned ones have been great (the fabric used in the plain shirts seems to wrinkle more).

Twill are awesome and are my go to shirts.

2. rxcats

rxcats Senior member

I ordered 5 shirts a few days ago. I selected Priority shipping and tracking has them scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I decided on twill, but I may be interested in herringbone, Egyptian cotton and imperial weave in the future. Anyone with experience in any of those varieties? I only want wrinkle-free. I don't mind a little ironing, but I can't stand a shirt that wrinkles the first time you sit down. I ended up buying some as extra slim in a 16/35 and some in slim in a 15.5/35. Hopefully they all fit well enough to keep. I'll buy more of what ever fits best. I also purchased a pair of cufflinks and a tie. I got all of the shirts with French cuffs.

3. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Never had a problem with my Tyrwhitt shirts. I agree, twill is the best.

4. Josteinbk

Josteinbk Member

I've bought 9 non-iron shirts, all in the same size. I was advised by the store employee to go one size up on the sleeves. Unfortunately, this seems to have been rather bad advice.

cuff.png
    cuff2.png

The red is where it goes without a jacket, green is with a jacket, and blue is how long I'm pretty sure it should have been.

The question then is, how much can I expect the shirt to shrink? It is a good 2.5cm/1 inch too long. I have washed it once, but it did not seem to shrink at all. Should I just keep washing them, or do I have to get them adjusted?

5. adagio

adagio Senior member

Was this shirt the CT severe cutaway collar style? If yes then I've found you should go for a sleeve length 1" longer than normal. It appears that the collar shape influences the sleeve length. No need to do this for any of the other collar styles. Also I've never noticed any shrinkage of the sleeves of any of the shirts.

6. Josteinbk

Josteinbk Member

Yes, it was. Well, the problem is that it is too long. I've tried to both wash and tumble dry now, and still no shrinkage. I'll just have to return them for a shorter sleeve length.

7. Virgil Caine

Virgil Caine New Member

I have several CT shirts. Great 'work-a-day' quality for the price.

8. Nikola

Nikola Senior member