• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Charles Tyrwhitt Reviews and Fitting

nubirth

Reaction score
Go for the 16/32 as that fits on you the sleeve and neck. As for the cut, that depends on your own style preferences. The slim fit garment size is 43 inches on the waist and the classic is 46.75. With five inches between your waist size and the slim fit garment size you should be fine. If the gap were to be below four inches then you are likely to see some bulging around the buttons when you sit down.

Thanx for the response. I was actually looking at the extra slim. I will take your advice and try a slim shirt. Thanx again.

Pendulum

Reaction score

Thanx for the response. I was actually looking at the extra slim. I will take your advice and try a slim shirt. Thanx again.

Extra slim wont work - find the right collar size first, then sleeves, then make sure it fits across the body, don't forget to leave some room also to make sure it's not skin tight.

nubirth

Reaction score
Extra slim wont work - find the right collar size first, then sleeves, then make sure it fits across the body, don't forget to leave some room also to make sure it's not skin tight.

Thanx. Im gonna go with the 16/32 slim shirts.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What happened with all of CT's shirt prices suddenly jumping to at least $100 a pop? They can't really be serious, right?

For a $30 work shirt, these can't be beat. But when Kamakura is pumping out far superior product at $79, I just can't fathom what CT is thinking.

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What happened with all of CT's shirt prices suddenly jumping to at least $100 a pop? They can't really be serious, right?

For a $30 work shirt, these can't be beat. But when Kamakura is pumping out far superior product at $79, I just can't fathom what CT is thinking.

Hmmm. I just went to the website. Looks like most of their stuff is still 4 for $199 at the moment, which seems to be pretty typical. Maybe individually they're pricier, but I think the key is to buy in bulk. I've always just bought on clearance or waited until I saw 4 shirts I wanted / needed.

SS 376

Reaction score

They want to steer you to the 4 for $200 deal. Nobody is going to spend $100 on one shirt.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems to be a U.S. thing.

The prices for UK customers on their UK website are cheaper. The individual shirt prices are close to what US prices were about a year ago. E.g.,

White twill non-iron: £34.95; four for £100. (Currently 1 GBP = 1.57 USD.)

Might have to do with the strong dollar. Other European companies have been raising dollar-denominated prices to compensate.

Cheers,

Ac

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've bought several shirts from CT. Their return policy is very helpful.

My experience has been that the shirt sleeves run a full inch too short, if it's not non-iron then it will shrink a lot, and I wear their extra slim fit cut but I find it too tight across the chest* (the slim fit is too loose around the waist and does not taper enough). I've found that buying their mid-priced shirts rather than their cheapest shirts offers a big improvement in fabric quality. I like the fabric variations they offer, especially to complement the limited range from BrooksBrothers.

* I'm 6'0 and 185lbs. I wear BrooksBrothers 15/33 and find them slightly loose in the waist, slightly tight in the neck if I button the collar, but fit very well across the chest, back and shoulders plus good sleeve length. I buy 15.5/34 in extra slim fit from CT.

I have tried some other purchases from CT but with less success. I bought two ties but returned one for very coarse fabric. I also tried an overcoat once, but the fabric and cut were really unimpressive so I just returned it.

smoothmoose

Reaction score
Guys, what's the story with customs/duty for USA customers? Everything ships from the UK right? Does CT charge local sales tax already, so no additional duty is added?

I tried asking their CS, but their answers have been a bit vague and not that helpful.

Doug

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

UK selling law says that any product that is advertised at a "sale" price must have been sold for at least 30 days in the last 6 months at the higher price. Twice per year CT will return to "pre-sale" prices in order to satisfy this condition and avoid any trouble for that whole Permanent Sale thing they do.

Give it a few weeks and they'll be back to normal, advertising their 70% off prices.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Guys, what's the story with customs/duty for USA customers? Everything ships from the UK right? Does CT charge local sales tax already, so no additional duty is added?

I tried asking their CS, but their answers have been a bit vague and not that helpful.

Doug

In my experience, shipping costs are the only added expense.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Doug

My orders have always been sent by Royal Mail, and have never incurred a duty. However it's possible I've never exceeded the 199 USD limit beyond which duties kick in. I can't remember. I do know from other threads that Royal Mail, which is handled by the USPS once it gets to the US, is less likely to trigger duty than couriers like DHL.

Cheers,

Ac

smoothmoose

Reaction score

My orders have always been sent by Royal Mail, and have never incurred a duty.  However it's possible I've never exceeded the 199 USD limit beyond which duties kick in.  I can't remember.  I do know from other threads that Royal Mail, which is handled by the USPS once it gets to the US, is less likely to trigger duty than couriers like DHL.

Cheers,

Ac
Thanks. My order will likely exceed $199. I definitely got hit with duties from other international vendors that ship via Fedex.

UTfootball747

Reaction score
Quick sizing question maybe someone can help with:

I decided to give CT's "extra slim" fit a shot since Brooks Brothers doesn't seem to be able to make an actual slim fit dress shirt to save its life. I went with my usual size in BB (16/34).

I generally like how the shirt fits. Collar is fine. But the sleeves seem to be just a bit too short. This may be due to a little bit of tightness in the shoulders.

So my question: Should I just go for another inch in the sleeve? Is this somehow a sign that I shouldn't be wearing the "extra slim"? It's certainly 'slim' but that's what I prefer and I'm afraid going up to the next cut will give me something along the line of what Brooks Brothers offers. I wear a size 40R jacket typically, pants 32 waist. 5'11 175-80 lbs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics