1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Charles Tyrwhitt Reviews and Fitting

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LooksGood, Feb 16, 2013.

1. lexxdeleon

lexxdeleon Senior member

Looks like they have a handful of suits for $299 that seems like a pretty good deal. Anyone have experience with the quality of CT suits? I just bought a few of their shirts during the $29 a shirt sale a few weeks back and am very happy considering the price I paid. Do their suits hit this price point often?

2. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

$299 is about as cheap as their suits ever get, but they hit that point fairly often. I have a black twill suit that I bought as a requirement for a wedding party and in my estimation, they aren't bad suits for $300. If I had some time and a little bit more discretion in choices, though, I would spend a little bit more to upgrade to their "Luxury Suit" line, which are half-canvassed and feature nicer fabrics.

3. lexxdeleon

lexxdeleon Senior member

Thanks, I have a wedding to attend in October and will look to purchase my first decent suit closer to that time if CT has sales on them somewhat regularly.

Any idea on how the CT lower end suit compares with suit supply or brooks brothers in same price range when on sale?

4. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

Anyone have a CT coupon code or discount they aren't using? If so, please feel free to PM it to me! :embar: Otherwise, I expect they'll have a Fourth of July discount soon (it was 10% off everything last year).

5. ogredave

ogredave Member

Still waiting for the next $39/tie/shipped sale ..

6. SBear

SBear Senior member

All my shirts are Banana Republic (BR) non-iron "tailored" slim fit (and a few slim fit). Any direct comparisons with the CT extra slim fit in torso fit (I'm medium in BR and 16/33)? Looking at the $140 (now $49) CT extra slim fits, bengal/gingham/herringbone styles white and blue - how does the weight of the fabric compare with my BR shirts?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  7. PeachBrah

PeachBrah Member

probably a stupid question, but what does this mean?

8. Jazz3Pickz

Jazz3Pickz Active Member

The chest measurements correspond to your actual chest circumference, instead of the measurement of the garment. For example, a 40" chest jacket does not have a 40" chest measurement (rather something like 43"-44" depending on how slim-fitting it is), because then you obviously wouldn't be able to fit in it. For garment-based measurements you would look at the number and calculate if that's within your range, with the added 3-4". CT's measurements say 40" for a 40" jacket, but the actual measurement is something like 44". Thus you could be led to believe it won't fit you (giving the example of a 40" chest), as you might think the garment measures 40" across the chest, while in fact, the number measured is what your maximum chest size should be in order to wear that particular size. I'm pretty tired, so I'm sorry if it's a somewhat fuzzy explanation, hopefully you get the idea though.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  9. topos

topos Senior member

It means the measurement they provide is not a measurement of the shirt, but rather what chest size they feel the shirt should fit. Of course, different "fits" mean different measurements for the same chest size. In other words: the CT chest measurement size is useless. I have a slim fit CT shirt with a 15.5 collar that measures 45 in the chest. I bought this before they changed the chest measurements to a "to fit" on their site, and I don't know whether this means the various cuts received updates or not (for instance I measured that same shirt's waist to be larger than they claim their slim fit is on the website by a little more than an inch).

10. Midnight

Midnight Well-Known Member

Flyswatter - you're right. Charles Tyrwhitt have not changed the sizes of their shirts, just the way they present the measurements (I had this confirmed by a Charles Tyrwhitt sales rep on email). Instead of giving the actual shirt measurements they now give a "to fit chest" measurement.

You can find the old chest measurements at the link below towards the bottom of the page. The table shows that for the chest measurements the Classic Fit is larger than the Slim Fit which is larger than Extra Slim Fit.

http://www.shirtdetective.com/charles-tyrwhitt-shirts/

[Full disclaimer: this is my site and I have affiliate links on it. However, I think it's justified to post a link as it directly addresses the questions above and it's probably the only place on the web you can get this information. If people think this is wrong I'll happily remove the link.]

This earlier post in this forum may be helpful if you're trying to judge the sizes of Charles Tyrwhitt shirts.

11. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Just picked up four shirts (2 black label and 2 regular shirts) for 87 GBP (around $135) including shipping. They've got some solid "sale" deals on the UK website and are doing 10 GBP off an order of 4 shirts. Decent time to stock up if you like the shirts.

12. theh00d

theh00d Senior member

^ Seem like the sale is ending soon, debating on whether or not I should pull the trigger and get 4 dress shirts
    These will be my first sets of dress shirts so I'm not sure if this is the best value I can get in terms of price/quality
    was looking into others like brook brothers and tm lewin but I'm a skinny guy, so not sure if their fits would be good for me

I'm 5'8 135lb
    XS in uniqlo slim fit oxford
    which size should I be in the esf?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  13. CarolinaMan

CarolinaMan Active Member

They seem to have almost as many sales as Joseph A Banks. Tough call thehood on what size you need. I would bet 15 or 15.5 with a 33 sleeve, but who knows.

My only advice is that CT shirts shrink slightly in the neck (at least that has been my experience with them). If you wear a tight and it is tight in the neck before you wash the shirt, it will probably be too small after washing.

Other than the slight problem of shrinking, their shirts are a very good value.

14. theh00d

theh00d Senior member

^ thanks, i was thinking 14.5 but that will be too small?

15. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

^

Measure your neck. That's the only way to find out. Guessing your size is likely to leave you stuck with shirts that do not fit. I also agree with the comment that the Tyrwhitt shirts shrink at the neck more than others.

16. LEgoiste

LEgoiste Senior member

I ordered a CT ESF Black Label shirt last month, and after only one washing and medium dry it shrunk to one size down (both neck and sleeves). So, I'll definitely buy CT shirts one size up from now on.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  17. Kroaker

Kroaker Senior member

Anyone tried their flannel trousers? Those things are so hard to find, and CT appears to have a nice charcoal flannel option.

18. theh00d

theh00d Senior member

Went to Brook Brothers today and tried on their ESF
    14.5/32 fits perfectly

Should I stay the same for Charles Tyrwhitt or go up a size since others have mention the shrinkage
    Edit: Is anyone having problem with the site? When I add the shirt to my basket the price changes to the original price..the sale should be on for 4 more hrs

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  19. LEgoiste

LEgoiste Senior member

The main thing I don't like about CT shirts is its wide collars are extra wide, compared to wide collars from TM Lewin and BR.

20. Hellkamp

Hellkamp Member

I don't understand all the people that dry their dress shirts... They won't shrink if you hang dry them. It's better not to machine dry anything you care about.