• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Charles Tyrwhitt Question

sartorially senseless

Reaction score
I like a lot of the stuff on the Charles Tyrwhitt site.
I've read a bit on the shoes, but what about the dress shirts/suits? are they qualtiy?

where does these ship from, do you get hit with duty to canada?

new obsession

Reaction score
Single piece of advice - they shrink - alot - if you are buying, buy big, and don't pay full price

sartorially senseless

Reaction score
Originally Posted by new obsession
Single piece of advice - they shrink - alot - if you are buying, buy big, and don't pay full price

i think that's 2 pieces of advice
biggrin.gif
, thx though. how much do they shrink?

M@t, i see you managed to use the search function better than me. thx for not jumping down my throat over using search...i thought i did give it a try

new obsession

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartorially senseless
i think that's 2 pieces of advice
biggrin.gif
, thx though. how much do they shrink?

Yeah, yeah, yeah, next time maybe no advice... Seriously, I can't given you hard numbers, but I can tell you that the collars went from roomy to snug, difficult to button... maybe 1/2 inch or more. The sleeves went from showing past my jacket cuffs to having to be pulled down every few minutes. Again, maybe 1/2 inch.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
The shirts, as I've never been shy about reporting, are middling at best. I own three. They are my first (and last) Tyrwhitts.

Ditto

If you want to go with reasonably-priced English shirts, you will be much better off going for TM Lewin instead of CT, IMHO. Fit is better (although not fantastic), fabrics and construction are also better

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And I'll repeat what I undoubtedly said in those other threads linked above: at 50% off they are a good shirt. Mine aren't too baggy as some say their shirts are, mine have not shrunk either. I am happy with my purchases. But will never pay full price.

bob

new obsession

Reaction score
My intial purchase of their shirts, and ties for that matter, was my last. I am partial to their shoes at 50% off, however, so I will remain a "new customer" for as long as I can.

Fabro

Reaction score
Buy them on the cheap and treat them as a basic introduction to the details of British shirts. You'll soon appreciate where they fall short (even their top-of-the-line 180s) and move on. But in the meantime, they do get great colours so have fun with them and treat them as a stepping stone.

And yes, you will almost definitely get hit with PST+GST and possibly duties into Canada. If you can get them to ship from the NYC store, then duty will possibly be ignored because it will appear the shirts are coming from the US and fall under nafta. Strictly speaking though, they are made in Romania or somewhere are are eligible for another 18% or so duty. I bought all mine on business trips to NYC, and they were under my exemption.

muelleran

Reaction score
I own three Tyrwhitt shirts and at least they are better than the Eterna shirts 99% of the male population in this country wears. I have nothing else to compare them to, but I just ordered from Coles via Jermyn Shirts. They were mentioned in the forum before, but once again, how do they compare?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'd say Coles is a half step better than Tyrwhitt.

Cotton quality OK, nothing to write home about.

Nothing about my Coles shirts is memorable, come to think of it, except their poor quality control -- plastic buttons instead of their promised MOP and no gussets despite their vaunted product description. But this was four years ago. However, for a shirt that actually has all the features Coles describes, I'd buy Hilditch & Key RTW.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a bunch of Charles Tyrwhitt "fitted" shirts and they fit pretty great. There's a picture of me wearing one on the first page of the "Pants Quality" thread.

muelleran

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
However, for a shirt that actually has all the features Coles describes, I'd buy Hilditch & Key RTW.

They have a sale on right now, I think I'll give them a try.

billiebob

Reaction score
The CT fitted shirts also fit me precisely the way I prefer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads