• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Charles Tyrwhitt opinions

kasakka

Reaction score
Originally Posted by B1FF
Worse, the collar is at about half an inch larger than the marked size. I'm left hoping that there is quite a bit of shrinking after the first wash.
I would recommend sending them back and getting one size smaller. That's what I did and the slim and tailored fit are then fairly decent, though still not truly form fitting or anything. Thinking of sending back the whole Black Label suit I got. It would require alterations at the waist and the shoulders seem a bit wide for me, plus the quality problems I mentioned in an earlier post. Maybe I should've gone even smaller for a correct fit but then the sleeves would've probably been too short.

brokencycle

Reaction score
I have 4 CT shirts that I just purchased. I also have a cashmere scarf and a tie. The scarf seems to be great quality and is made in Scotland.

I bought the 4 shirts just recently, and the price and fit are great. The quality seems to be there, but I can't comment on durability. My biggest complaint for CT shirts is they don't have a gauntlet button (or at least not on the ones I bought) and their slim fit shirts shorten the tail a bit. I really like their new cutaway collars.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brokencycle
I have 4 CT shirts that I just purchased. I also have a cashmere scarf and a tie. The scarf seems to be great quality and is made in Scotland.

I bought the 4 shirts just recently, and the price and fit are great. The quality seems to be there, but I can't comment on durability. My biggest complaint for CT shirts is they don't have a gauntlet button (or at least not on the ones I bought) and their slim fit shirts shorten the tail a bit. I really like their new cutaway collars.

The lack of a gauntlet button is very common on English shirts. I have (or have had) shirts from CT, Harvie and Hudson, Hilditch and Key, New and Lingwood and maybe one or two others that I've forgotten about, and none of them had gauntlet buttons.

arvidg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
The lack of a gauntlet button is very common on English shirts. I have (or have had) shirts from CT, Harvie and Hudson, Hilditch and Key, New and Lingwood and maybe one or two others that I've forgotten about, and none of them had gauntlet buttons.

Actually, one (1) of my TMLewin shirts has a gauntlet button. It's a slim fit shirt I ordered by mistake.

I don't know if CT slim fit shirts have them, as I don't usually order slim fit. (I might now that I've lost a few kgs, though.)

bjornb17

Reaction score
Originally Posted by arvidg
Actually, one (1) of my TMLewin shirts has a gauntlet button. It's a slim fit shirt I ordered by mistake.

I don't know if CT slim fit shirts have them, as I don't usually order slim fit. (I might now that I've lost a few kgs, though.)

I have about 15-20 slim fit shirts... none have gauntlet buttons, although I am indifferent to them anyway.

nicedream

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman

Yes, I've noticed this too. The British shirtmakers just do not have gauntlet (sleeve placket) buttons.

On CT shirts this doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would. I usually buy their single (non-French) cuffs, and they have two buttons sewn on. This prevents the sleeve from pivoting, and keeps the placket closed.

raphaelargus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by B1FF
Worse, the collar is at about half an inch larger than the marked size. I'm left hoping that there is quite a bit of shrinking after the first wash.

I've had the opposite problem. Either the collars are already too small pre-wash, or if they are not they certainly shrink heavily after washing. (I have owned about 15-20 CT shirts in total.)

My actual, measured neck size is 15.0", but I usually just buy 15.5" from most brands to get a still comfortable but snug enough fit. The CT shirts I have in 15.0 are literally at least 0.5 to 1.0" too small to even attempt to button, and the 15.5" shirts would literally choke me if I tried to wear it buttoned.

I would say that CT shirt collars are, post-wash, about 0.5" smaller than the stated collar size in comparison to a Brooks Brothers shirt of the same size.

IsteRed

Reaction score
Ordered a few shirts,jacket and a tie from them a few days ago.Never bought from them before,will comment on quality later. BTW I was thinking about this coat from them,i think it'll be a good coat for that price,also is it considered winter coat or more for fall season? And also this suit,pink lining+waistcoat lapels is awesome in my opinion.

Curbed Enthusiasm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by miketcooper
Good advice there. Thanks.

To the second (and third) part of my question:

Has any one tried their suits (espec. the Black label range)? Critique?

And they have shoes that are stated as UK made (Loake I'm assuming) but am I safe to assume that those shoes where country of origin is not mentioned (their entire standard range pretty much), are not UK in origin? They employ interesting tactics in hiding the "made in" on the sole with the other shoe in the photos.

I own two Black Label suits. I bought them in late 2008/early 2009 and have been moderately satisfied. On the pro side, they sell 38L suits, are half-canvassed (at least the Black Labels are), and have nice touches like working button cuffs and horn buttons. They also have held up well with regular wear. However, my two suits ended up being a lighter shade than the online photos, and I disliked the wool/mohair blend used (though it looks like CT is only selling 100% wool now - fortunately). Also, on both orders, my 34" slacks measured at 33" - thus requiring extra tailoring that I did not expect. I will also note that CT has excellent customer service over the phone.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse
Which fit did you get on your shirt? I checked Classic and Slim, and they both have 15.5/36 as an option, but Tailored fit only went up to 15.5/35....if I wanted a custom sleeve length, they could only do shorter, not longer.

The only Tailored fit shirts that had a 15.5/37 sleeve length was their Black Label, but I wasn't about to shell out $115 for one of those when I could get basically 3 standard Tailored fit shirts for the same price.

I bought slim fit, but I just checked their classic fit white shirts and 37" sleeves was an option for both slim and classic (just also checked tailored fit and 37" is not an option. Strange).

Originally Posted by raphaelargus
I've had the opposite problem. Either the collars are already too small pre-wash, or if they are not they certainly shrink heavily after washing. (I have owned about 15-20 CT shirts in total.)

My actual, measured neck size is 15.0", but I usually just buy 15.5" from most brands to get a still comfortable but snug enough fit. The CT shirts I have in 15.0 are literally at least 0.5 to 1.0" too small to even attempt to button, and the 15.5" shirts would literally choke me if I tried to wear it buttoned.

I would say that CT shirt collars are, post-wash, about 0.5" smaller than the stated collar size in comparison to a Brooks Brothers shirt of the same size.

I agree that CT sizing is small, but for me that's a good thing, since I'm a slender guy.

I bought one CT shirt in my usual 15" neck size and the neck was a little tight, but the shoulders were also narrower than any other brand I've bought. I next sized up to 15.5" and the fit is much better.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got my CT Tailored Fit shirts and the fit is pretty spot on. I might have to get them slimmed just a tad around the waist - I like the darts...I can probably just have my tailor take them in a bit to reduce some of the billowing in the back when I tuck the shirt in.

I actually had the opposite problem with the neck size. I usually get a 15.5 neck, and these actually feel a little loose on me. I hope they shrink maybe a quarter of an inch after the first washing.

miketcooper

Reaction score
Got a first batch of test CT shirts and I'm really happy. Both the Slim and the fitted shirts fit me really well. The biggest issue for me is chest fit (at 16" neck and 43" chest) and they're just on the cusp of being tight but a comfortable cusp. The trade-off is excellent, fitted silhouette.

The ability to select 36" sleeves is also really useful for the old monkey arms.

Regarding neck size, all the CT shirts I ordered are at 16.5" (measured centre of button hole to centre of button) for a 16" stated size, and all shrunk to an alarmingly perfect 16" after 2 washes (I even chucked one of them into the dryer and its a perfect 16" now too). So overall really happy.

miketcooper

Reaction score
Oh and does anyone have coupon codes for CT? They've finished their 4 for 3 deal to revert to a phony "summer sale" where the prices are identical to the way there were a day before.

Still great prices though.

Kali

Reaction score
Does anyone have the measurements on their suits? What's the length and pit-to-pit etc on their 42 jacket?

bjornb17

Reaction score
Originally Posted by miketcooper
Oh and does anyone have coupon codes for CT? They've finished their 4 for 3 deal to revert to a phony "summer sale" where the prices are identical to the way there were a day before.

Still great prices though.

They're down to $35 each... That's below the usual $59!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads