• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Charles Tyrwhitt & Modern Tailor - Canada

Shad0w4life

Reaction score
So I figured I'd write a little review as I could not find any info about Canada and shipping etc. and people's experiences

CTSHIRTS/Charles Tyrwhitt

First off, don't order from the us site it will cost more as they raise the prices slightly to compensate for them paying customs. They only pay customs for us orders, canada is not included in that deal. Next is you will pay 8.50 per parcel for handling fees, so make sure you tell them one box.second is 18% duty will be charged along with your provinces applicable taxes. So some hefty fees are possible. returns will also cost you.
Regarding shirts quality, fit etc.

I order typical shirts, 4 for 150 type deal 3 dress 1 casual. The material is extremely nice compared to department store typical brands.

Fit is absolutely terrible and meant for guys with no V shape, I have 2 slim fit dress and one tailored all 16.5 neck and they all billow very badly. Even the tailored fit is not very good most likely these are made for larger bellies. 16.5 neck slim fit is 45 chest and 40 waist on their site. I thought they may have meant 40 inch opening at bottom, nope that's for mid section.you will most likely need it tailored so account for that in price.

For reference I'm 6' 185 42" chest if I keep it conservative(The chest and shoulders fit pretty well) 32-35 waist, probably a bit, judging how my 34 pants are too loose.

Modern Tailor:

I did the 19.95 trial shirt in black, picked a nice big collar and french cuffs.

Fit is really nice, I thought i was being cleaver and added a few inches to chest as most shirts tend to fit too tight, eg. Tyrwhitt 45" chest fits me very nicely. They take that into account apparently. The only real complaint is the yoke seems to have a bit extra on the back when I relax arms, but I took my own measurements half assed so I will say it's my fault.

Material is pretty typical, not nearly as nice feeling as the Tyrwhitt shirts. Wrinkles like crazy but irons just fine(I have the B&D All temperature steam iron which may help make life easier) and I didn't get dinged any duty and shipping because it was listed at about $20, other shirts ordered will suffer the same duty and handling etc.

Now

I'm stuck in a toss up, keep the shirts and what I think is nice fabric or getmade to measure shirts for roughly the same price but also the possibility of duty and reduced fabric quality. And I just found fitcustomshirts that has a canadian address, so I asked them if they have any trials and about duty, as i'd get more shirts for the same price and egyptian cotton to boot.

I'm leaning towards returning the tyrwhitt shirts, just because for the price I paid and all the duty etc they are expensive, and I paid more than I would have if I ordered from the non US price site. Plus they will need to all be tailored heavily to fit right, I don't think darts will save me, which sucks as I do love the patterns and material and I haven't seen anything similar on MTM sites.

rcoreytaylor

Reaction score
Shipping your returns to CT will cost you about $40 Canada Post, plus you'll be out the $ spent on duty and brokerage - so I suggest spending that $40 on having them tailored to fit you.

just a thought - a good one.

cheers

Shad0w4life

Reaction score
Thanks for heads up, was going to get shipping quote. I talked to cbsa and if I return I'm only out handling fee and can get a full duty and gst refund. Rather pissed as I found out I can order from ratio and have it made in usa to my measurements 100s for around 100$ and 20% discount code drops out to 80! Ontop of that no duty etc.

Was debating on tailoring them, it's so much extra fabric I'm scared it will end up coating more than shirts ;)

rcoreytaylor

Reaction score
I've had rather good luck with CT - they fit alright (not great, but alright) and the material is good. Actually, I've received more unsolicited compliments on my CT shirts than any others. Also - I learned not to purchase CT shirts unless they're running their $19.99 (BPS) special and have now relegated any future CT purchases to the basics such as simple white or blue dress shirts, etc.

Birks and Grey Socks

Reaction score
FWIW I received a couple of $40 sale MT shirts to Canada, and the $40 declared value was low enough that I didn't get dinged brokerage or taxes by Canada Post.

OTOH, the ModernTailor shirts are so crappy compared to CT that I don't mind paying the occasional $20 to tailor the sides on my CT Slim shirts. I have a tiny bit of a belly, so the 'Tailored' CT shirts fit me like a glove.

I for one have been very disappointed with my MT experience, crappy fabrics compared to CT, and inconsistent sizing.

Last edited:

ajmanouk

Reaction score
Never been dinged on MT orders...done 5 so far ranging from 20 to 55 bucks per.

rcoreytaylor

Reaction score
CT currently running this special:

shirts now from £17.95 and free delivery for one week only.

Now's probably the best time throughout the year to pick up CT shirts

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads