• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Charles Tyrwhitt evening waistcoat

WICaniac

Reaction score
Per Blacktieguide.com and numerous postings here, I'm having a devilish time finding a proper, low-cut waistcoat to go with my SB PL tuxedo. I counted myself lucky, then, when I found this from Charles Tyrwhitt for a fraction of the price asked by Oliver Brown, Ede & Ravenscroft, etc.

As it (like the tux) is wool, I was aware that I could have a problem matching fabrics and colors, but I was unprepared for this image on the product page:

I wrote customer service and expressed my concern about the length of the waistcoat and received this incredible response:

"In regards to the Dinner Waistcoat (DJ009BLK42) itself, the reason why it does not cover the trouser waist is because it is ideally and primarily worn with a Black Silk Cummerbund (NE003BLK)."

Needless to say, this doesn't inspire confidence in the product or the company. Has anyone purchased this waistcoat? Is this typical of CT customer service?

I know this question's been asked before, but what are my best alternatives for a waistcoat in this style (ideally in faille)? Has anyone tried Waistcoatsdirect.co.uk? I'm thinking of sending them faille to make me their "Mr. U."

Anthony Jordan

Reaction score
You may not be at all comfortable with the idea, but have you considered a white waistcoat? I suggest it as they are relatively easy to find online, can be found fairly inexpensively, obviate any mathing issues and, finally, would set off your vintage detachable buttons beautifully. Just a thought.

Geezer

Reaction score
I can sadly believe that some cretinous knob-end in Charles Tyrwhitt customer service might believe that a dress waistcoat should be worn over a cummerbund.

I am partly posting in deep sympathy with your having to deal with such a cretinous knob-end in Charles Tyrwhitt customer service, but mostly to increase the chances of Google including the words "cretinous knob-end" in searches for "Charles Tyrwhitt customer service".

Have I mentioned "Charles Tyrwhitt customer service" and "cretinous knob-end" often enough yet?

flirtkakat

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm here about the cretinous knob-ends at CT.. I hear they're causing quite a stir, the bastards. Cretinous knob-ends they are.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's possible to interpret the reply as you did, but there is perhaps another explanation: perhaps they meant that since the dinner suit is usually worn with a cummerbund (instead of a waistcoat) that the gap wouldn't be there since the height of the cummerbund can be in accordance with where on the waist you wear the trousers. The vest, OTOH, is limited since it hangs from your shoulders.

I wouldn't worry too much about this, since at worst you'll just end up hiking your trousers up a little higher, which is quite easy with tux trousers, as one wears braces and there is a bit of room left in the waist.

Anthony Jordan

Reaction score
TimelessStyle, I think you are being generous to CT there; if you look at the construction of the sentence, the "it" which is "ideally and primarily worn with a black silk cummerbund" is almost certainly the waistcoat. This sort of sartorial misdirection is not new, unfortunately. A few years ago 'Mr Hackett' was advising people to flip the leaves of their stiff detachable collars up when tying their ties, a challenging piece of advice which, if followed, is guaranteed to ruin the finish, if not damage the collar.

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have seen the Duke of Windsor Tartan dinner suit in person when it was re-auctioned last year and it was designed to indeed be worn with cummerbund and waistcoat at the same time, si there is some sort of tradition, however I would have preferred a not aligned waistcoat as per example below

Anthony Jordan

Reaction score

I have seen the Duke of Windsor Tartan dinner suit in person when it was re-auctioned last year and it was designed to indeed be worn with cummerbund and waistcoat at the same time, si there is some sort of tradition, however I would have preferred a not aligned waistcoat as per example below

My eyes!

WICaniac

Reaction score

You may not be at all comfortable with the idea, but have you considered a white waistcoat? I suggest it as they are relatively easy to find online, can be found fairly inexpensively, obviate any mathing issues and, finally, would set off your vintage detachable buttons beautifully. Just a thought.

I considered this option but eventually bit the bullet and ordered this from Favourbrook. They're making it in a moire silk that matches my RRL tie and substituting stud holes for the buttons. I was very impressed with the customer service I received and have high expectations for the waistcoat itself.

Anthony Jordan

Reaction score

I considered this option but eventually bit the bullet and ordered this from Favourbrook. They're making it in a moire silk that matches my RRL tie and substituting stud holes for the buttons. I was very impressed with the customer service I received and have high expectations for the waistcoat itself.

Sounds marvellous - I look forward to seeing it.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I personally like the look, when the jacket is worn open, but it doesn't solve the "Bermuda Triangle" issue when it's buttoned. It also rules out the possibility of a pleated shirt, as a white (presumably pique) waistcoat can really only be worn with a marcella evening shirt. Not sure whether it matters; I prefer marcella anyways.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics