1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Charles Tyrwhitt Dress Shirt advice

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MKSage, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Halifax

Halifax Senior member

I don't have square shoulders but I hope the below images help.

Black label has imitation MoP plastic buttons but the luxury label is definitely real MoP (albiet rather thin) buttons. Both yokes are vertically split.

The luxury label cloth is rather thin. In one of the pictures, I did a close up to show the visibility of the singlet underneath (it's even more distinct to the eye). This issue can be mitigated with an undershirt and if you live in a warmer climate, I think the cloth is quite suitable.

The ESF is noticeably tighter around the arms but I think I'll stick to this fit for future purchases. My waist in 35".

Black Label ESF:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Luxury Label SF:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Ecstasy

Ecstasy Senior member

Thank you. ESF looks like a good fit on you!

3. Halifax

Halifax Senior member

Cheers,

I got the luxury in slim with the intention of sending it to the tailor to get the best fit possible. I haven't got round to that yet but I think the ESF OTR doesn't even need adjustments for me. Definitely saves myself a few dollars.

If you do purchase, I advise using the UK site because [edit] the other sites use an unfavourable exchange rate and there are offers for free shipping or 12% [edit] discount atm.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. MrZBrown

MrZBrown Member

Sorry to come so late to the party here. That ESF looks good. I just got a couple CT shirts and while they are comfortable and look great for the most part, MAN are they thin. I went with the twill for a dressier plain shirt but now I wish I had gone with a different weave to try and hide it. I am debating sending them back. Any suggestions on what I can get that wont be quite so see-through?

5. Halifax

Halifax Senior member

I have found their poplins' to be quite thin. Are you referring to the new range of Egyptian cotton twills MZB? I don't own an example but I would think any of the shirts made from a basket weave material wouldn't be as thin.

6. MrZBrown

MrZBrown Member

I got some of their non-iron slim fit twills and you can really see through them pretty well. Even with patterns. I figured for sure it would be thicker.
    Here are the ones I got for reference:
    http://www.ctshirts.com/men's-shirt...shirt?q=usddefault||fn017wht|||||407,||||||||
    http://www.ctshirts.com/White--and-...t?q=usddefault|FN107WSK|fn107wsk|||||||||||||
    http://www.ctshirts.com/Royal--twil...t?q=usddefault|FN260RYL|fn260ryl|||||||||||||

7. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

I'm wearing that middle one right now, and its fine... how freaking dark are your nipples/chest hair!?

8. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

I have over a dozen of the white twill and have no issues with them being thin. Consider some grey undershirts if you really find this problematic.

9. MrZBrown

MrZBrown Member

like night!

no, its just lighter than I am used to. I have a darker tan skin color than some others, so I guess it stands out more.
    the biggie for me is the fact that its light enough tattoos show through. I think I am going to keep them anyways because to be honest the quality is still damn excellent for the price.

10. MrZBrown

MrZBrown Member

thanks for the advice. I usually hate undershirts but in this case it might need to be done.

11. Halifax

Halifax Senior member

+1 on grey/neutral undershirts under white dress shirts as white undershirts/singlets cause strong contrast with the areas not covered. I think wearing an undershirt with white dress shirts is definitely advantageous. Has anyone purchased any of the new Egyptian cotton twill shirts? I'd be keen to know how thin those one are, and what the count is.

12. D Pantinella

D Pantinella New Member

I just received my second shipment of CT shirts, the first being returned because the sleeve length was way too short. I decided to keep it simple and order just white and blue shirts this time.

The second batch is going straight back again for a final refund. The white poplin is ridiculously thin/see-thru and the sky blue poplin hue looks really cheap to me for some reason and a little darker than the traditional blue poplin you see from most manufacturers. I guess thats the downside of ordering online.

DP

13. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

My personal experience has been that CT twill looks great and wears really well, but I've been disappointed in the poplin as well.

14. Halifax

Halifax Senior member

Does anyone know if any of the current CT shirt lines are single needle lock stitched or double needle chain stitched?

I have an old luxury one that is single, and a black label that is double. I'd be interested to know if they are phasing out single needle shirts or not.

Secondly, do any of the shirts have MoP buttons now, or are the all synthetic?

15. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

The luxury shirts are single needle and MoP buttons. They at 2 for £80. The mainline (4 for £100) are plastic and double needle stitch.

I never wear the Poplin lines, why buy a thinner material when the thicker twill is the same price? Seems like a dumb choice to make...

16. Halifax

Halifax Senior member

It seems that, apart from the Marcella shirt, the luxury line is no longer cut in the extra slim fitting... I'm certain that wasn't always the case.

17. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

Correct. I may be mistaken but the impression I get is that the guys who want the luxury shirts are slightly older and this not quite so slim fit.

I'm not sure the company really wants to promote them anymore, their business is all about the 4 for £100. £25 per shirt suits the vast majority of clients, once you move up to £40 a shirt you're in slightly new territory.

18. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

I have a few CT poplins. I always wear an undershirt with them, but I generally think they are fine. Poplin is supposed to be the finest, smoothest shirt fabric, and are inherently thin. It doesn't mean they are poor quality.

As for the blue color, I did find a very pale blue poplin about a year ago. I love this shirt and would like to get more, but I haven't seen CT make anything in this color recently.

19. D Pantinella

D Pantinella New Member

Living in SoCal and dealing with 100 degree days I find a high quality poplin to be a better warm weather fabric than twill, just my opinion/preference. But in the case of CT shirts specifically, sounds like I definitely would have been better off with twill - now that I know.

Also, I'm wearing an older JCrew poplin button down collar with no under shirt and it's not really see-thru or close to as thin. And I wouldn't consider it a very high quality shirt.

20. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

Don't forget that you can get thick shirts that are poor quality and thin ones that are good. Weight is almost never an indicator of quality.