• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Charles Tyrwhitt and conversion rate disparity?

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed a disparity in the conversion rates and pricing at CT? For instance, if you select UK pounds in order to order these shoes
http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/p/gbpdefau...nned=&browse=Y

the price is 159 pounds, the equivalent of $226 according to XE currency converter, whereas if you select US currency for these shoes

http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/p/usddefau...nned=&browse=Y

the price is $299. Furthermore, the UK price includes VAT, which would get deducted, while it is not clear if the American price would be reduced. Shipping is about $3 more if you order in UK currency.

Of course, if you order in pounds, you will get charged a currency conversion fee on most credit cards (although not on Capital One) but even a 3% conversion fee would not make up the price difference.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quite a lot of British sites are fairly similar, for example Swaine Adeney Brigg or New & Lingwood. Your best bet is to get a proxy to do the service for you if you want to purchase any of their goods.

butkusrules

Reaction score
good catch. I wonder if you call they would give you the actual exchange rate?

Edit : I was thinking about scoring a couple of the shirts, I sent them an email about matching the exchange rate. I was promised a response in 24hrs. Will post response.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I've been experiencing the same thing with Paul Smith

recently bought a shirt from Paul Smith UK online for $180 approx after shipping and VAT refund. The same shirt sells on the US site and local store for $270 + tax

also bought a pair of sunglasses for $340 shipped, if the local store even carried these they'd be around $540

and bought a pair of shoes for $280 shipped, the US site and local store sell for $475+tax

Huge disparities, and unfortunately it means my local B&M won't be getting a lot of my business this year because it's just too large of a price difference. Add to the fact that in my case Paul Smith ships 1 day International so I get it immediately.

But with the current exchange rate you definitely get some good prices ordering from UK

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TM Lewin keeps it all in GBP so you don't get hosed like you would from CT.

A proxy works though, small service fee + additional shipping cost from the proxy.

*EDIT* I believe TM Lewin's sale is through this weekend. After the removal of VAT, coupon code, shipping, and conversion, it comes out to around $26 per shirt. I have to get the sides taken in on their Slim Fit line so add another $10-15 on that and that's still a reasonably priced serviceable shirt.

butkusrules

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian

A proxy works though, small service fee + additional shipping cost from the proxy.

*EDIT* I believe TM Lewin's sale is through this weekend. After the removal of VAT, coupon code, shipping, and conversion, it comes out to around $26 per shirt. I have to get the sides taken in on their Slim Fit line so add another $10-15 on that and that's still a reasonably priced serviceable shirt.

What coupon code?

Narciso

Reaction score

That's a pretty sweet price. I like how they offer a sleeve asjustment on the site. How's the slim fit vs the regular fit? I have a fairly average-athletic build and doubt I would need anything taken in further.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I passed the Tyrwhitt store on 7th yesterday & the window signs say "50% OFF EVERYTHING"

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by butkusrules
What coupon code?

Someone requested one here a week or so ago, not sure if it still works:

11sur1

They're definitely a bit more slim than most offerings, however I have an 8-9" drop from chest to waist along with a 16.5in neck so I almost always have to take in my shirts, unless it's MTM.

I have 4 other TM Lewin shirts that I'm pretty happy with. Good value imo. I'm going to give Jantzen a try in the next few weeks though.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
I passed the Tyrwhitt store on 7th yesterday & the window signs say "50% OFF EVERYTHING"
That comes out to $60-70 for their lowest range shirts...or 4 for $199. I was not terribly impressed at the price point.

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TM Lewin is great, I got a couple shirt from them last week for about 25 usd each. Great quality for the price, hell great quality for 3 times that price IMO.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlesAlexander
TM Lewin is great, I got a couple shirt from them last week for about 25 usd each. Great quality for the price, hell great quality for 3 times that price IMO.

There you have it folks, the great Charles Alexander himself praising the wares of TM Lewin!
laugh.gif

I think I might pull the trigger on some more spring/summer patterned shirts...Waiting the 1-2 weeks for delivery is a bit annoying though.
confused.gif

marin

Reaction score
TM Lewin keeps it all in GBP so you don't get hosed like you would from CT. A proxy works though, small service fee + additional shipping cost from the proxy. *EDIT* I believe TM Lewin's sale is through this weekend. After the removal of VAT, coupon code, shipping, and conversion, it comes out to around $26 per shirt. I have to get the sides taken in on their Slim Fit line so add another $10-15 on that and that's still a reasonably priced serviceable shirt.
No need for a proxy. I have ordered from CT's UK site to obtain the price in GBP. Even after including international shipping (IIRC, GBP 8 to US) the savings over purchasing from the US site is significant. As the OP suggested, use a credit card that doesn't charge the currency conversion fee.

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There you have it folks, the great Charles Alexander himself praising the wares of TM Lewin!
laugh.gif

I think I might pull the trigger on some more spring/summer patterned shirts...Waiting the 1-2 weeks for delivery is a bit annoying though.
confused.gif

ha, ha, I do really think TM Lewin is underrated. The fit, styling and quality of their shirts is better then most brands that charge twice what they do (especially Tyrwitt). Plus their customer service is excellent.

That being said, the wait is a pain.
frown.gif

Doc4

Reaction score
I always just order from the UK website in GBP. Do orders originating from computers in the USA automatically get rerouted to the US$ version of their website?

... come to think of it, I remember now a thread a few weeks or months ago about a guy complaining of getting 'hosed' by CT on the exchange rate when he did a return ... he got back fewer dollars than he spent originally since the GBP had fallen in the meantime relative to the US$, but I forget if he placed his original order in US$ or GBP.

Originally Posted by bigbris1

Ah, so they're at normal pricing for now, eh?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads