• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Charles Tyrwhitt 50% off sale

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It depends on your need/value. Even their "fitted" shirts are not going to be as close to the body as most people would consider "fitted," so if you're looking for a genuinely slim shirt, that's probably not it. But $50; I mean, you can do better, but not often from a full retail establishment. I like that you can specify pocket or no, and double or button cuff, all in the same patterns/collars.

Also, v. important, make certain they're not charging you VAT.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm wearing one of their shirts right now from last season. It's admittedly too big through the waist. The slim fit shirts fit about the same as my standard Ascot Changs--that is to say, a little full through the waist but much better than anything comparable to most British or American makes. At 50% their shirts are a decent value, not incredible.

I've personally retricted my shirt shopping down to Ascot Chang RTW, Jantzen, some Zegna, designers on discount (Paul Smith, Etro, Varvatos, etc.), Charvet if I could ever find them at discount, and random odds and ends. Strangely enough, my best fitting shirt is from Shirtmaven (CEGO) that was a canceled order from some other skinny dude. I need to shorten the sleeves about 0.5-0.75" for a perfect fit.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NI don't think the VAT applies, since when I went to the UK site, they had the prices up in US dollars - probably because I previously gave them my information and specified the US (those infernal internet cookies.). I think they have one pricing structure for the UK and another for the US.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
J, How did you get your hands on a brand new Tywhitt shirt for only $4?
My former favorite thrift store, RIP. The shirt didn't have tags, but I couldn't find any signs of wear on it at all. Not the best I've ever seen, but it's nice. I don't wear it often because I have to wear a jacket with it. It blouses out unless I tuck it way in, but luckily the tail is also humongous.
dozingoff.gif

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I meant, "I", not "NI", of course.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I ordered some black chelsea boots from there, they seem as decent as any other relatively inexpensive ones that I've found anywhere else.

raley

Reaction score
I ordered some black chelsea boots from there, they seem as decent as any other relatively inexpensive ones that I've found anywhere else.
Are they a pretty good shoe for casual wear?

jerseyguy

Reaction score
The last time I checked at the NYC store, the shoes were made by loake with corrected grain leather, which is typical of shoes in this price range.

They have 50% off sales all the time, so you shouldn't ever pay more.

The fit on the regular line is pretty blousy, but not as much so as thomas pinkor brooks. The sea island line has mop buttons and the 180s have silver collar stays. Fused collar and cuffs. I have one of their "fitted shirts" and after washing it, I find it to small. I have a 46" chest (where it is tight) and a 36" waist (where itis loose) and bought the 17" collar. Ifyou are slim throughout, I'd imagine the fit wouldn't work.

One thing I do admire is their pattern matching between shirts, ties, and cufflinks and I have several old catalogues for this purpose.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am puzzled by the compareson. It would be more easy to understand if you could name which labels you are comparing it to.

raley

Reaction score
(drizzt3117 @ 04 Nov. 2004, 12:34) I ordered some black chelsea boots from there, they seem as decent as any other relatively inexpensive ones that I've found anywhere else.
I am puzzled by the compareson. Â It would be more easy to understand if you could name which labels you are comparing it to.
Agreed. Also a picture of them maybe? I am really considering getting a pair now.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well I just ordered them so I guess we'll see how they are.

As for the price, $107.50, the competition is Kenneth Cole, et. al, and I think it's certainly a better product than that, especially if Goodyear welted. I imagine they will be just fine for casual wear, but I guess I will find out. They are the black ones under "black shoes" on the site.

jekv12

Reaction score
I have two shirts purchased in the summer of 2004. They aren't trim, but they aren't anywhere near as blousy as BB, especially the BB non-irons. (I am a 15 1/2, and wear 40L suits, always with the sleeves let down, pants are fine at 34").

Here's what I like about the shirts/company:
- virtually all patterns are available in 15.5 x 37. I need this. Without going MTM or bespoke, getting that size (or even a 15.5 x 36 if I care to compromise) in anything but blue, white or ecru is nigh on impossible.

- all shirts are available with button or French cuffs

- shirts are available without pockets

- they can alter sleeve lengths for an additional charge

- if you don't like a shirt, you can return it for up to three months, washed, unwashed, it doesn't matter

- prices, on sale (happens often, as mentioned earlier) are decent

On pricing, my company has an arrangement with some agency that gets discounts at many places. Imagine my surprise yesterday when I checked that site and saw a deal for CT - $100 off if you sepnd $250. 40% off isn't bad; alas, it ended yesterday and I wasn't near the city (this was for in-store only).

Customer service seems to be decent - the cuff holes on one of the shirts I bought aren't large enough for silk knots to pass through. I called the store, and the assistant said it was known problem on that model, and they'd take care of if for me next time I was in.

They do trade on the English connection though - the name and of course "Jerymn Street" though only a few of the shirts are made there. My "Classic" was made in Romania, and my "Premium" was made in Italy. These are necessarily bad things, but if having a "English" shirt is important, look closely at the label...some are made in England.

DPDNYC

Reaction score
Has anyone found that, of the classic line of shirts, the ones ordered via the Web site are of a slimmer cut than those purchases in the shop in NYC? Is it just my imagination?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads