• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Charles Tyrwhitt 3 for $99 Dress Shirts

rjc149

Reaction score
I'm in the market for new white dress shirts to replace the shrunken, frayed, or elbow-torn ones.

I was a Joseph A Bank customer, frequently purchasing their 3 for $99 deals. However, I do not want non-iron shirts. They are stuffy in the summer and I don't like the idea of formaldehyde in my clothing. My dress shirts are all laundered and pressed at the cleaners, so the chore is not an issue.

I've noticed that Charles Tyrwhitt offers an Egyptian cotton poplin shirt. It conspicuously lacks the "non-iron" designation on most of their shirt offerings, leading me to believe that I've finally found an off-the-rack "X for $XX" offering that doesn't have chemicals in the fabric.

Thing is, I'm heavily built from 2 decades of pumping iron (not tooting my horn). I'm not Jimmy Juicer but I have an acute V-taper down to my waist. The Joseph A Banks Traveler "Tailored" fit shirts are perfect up top, but billow out considerably at the waist.

I'm 5'10. My dress shirt size is 15.5 neck and 32/33 sleeve. I've been reading that CT shirts are cut snugly and people have fit issues.

Any recommendations, or experiences with CT shirts?

Calanon

Reaction score
They're great for returns. Buy some different shirts in different fits, see what you like best.

OldMetairie

Reaction score
I've been happy at the price point. For me they are somewhere between Banks and Brooks Brothers your mileage may vary.

Betta

Reaction score
+1 they are awesome for returns, not only that days later after your first purchase you'll get a 25% code that works on sale/clearance as well. Order different sizes and return whatever doesnt fit. Also the return is to a warehouse in the US.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've worn CT for at least a decade. They're not the highest quality but they are fine and would describe them as my workhorse shirts. I have some that I've been wearing for many years and with the occasional button repair and a soaking in Oxyclean, they just keep on trucking.

rjc149

Reaction score
I pulled the trigger with the 3 for $99, white twill non-iron. The Egyptian poplin was too thin, I knew those elbows would rip through soon, so I just went with the non-iron.

I went with my usual size, 15.5 neck and 33 sleeve, in the "slim" fit. It's a bit more trim than the Joseph A Bank Traveler, which is good, because the Travelers are baggy. However, the CT slim shirts still muffin-top at my waist. Given that these are going to be office work shirts, that's acceptable. The muffin-topping will be covered by the jacket otherwise.

The twill fabric seems nicer, softer, and more textured than the Travelers. I'm wondering about shrinkage -- the 15.5 leaves some room around my neck, so I'm hoping a few washings will snug it down a bit. Maybe they're cut roomier for that purpose.

Overall I like the styling of the regular spread collar and the 2-button barrel cuffs. I have a big melon head, so I can't do small, button-down, or cut-away collars or I look like Mr. Mackey. Let's see how these shirts hold up. I'll update, in case someone else is looking into CT shirts.

rjc149

Reaction score
After a single launder and press at the cleaners, my CT shirts don't seem to have shrunk in any appreciable way. Maybe ever so slightly in the collar, which was quite roomy when new, so if anything it's improved the fit.

I actually prefer the lack of a button on the arm placket, since I often roll my cuffs up at my desk and it's one less point of wear to worry about. When the cuffs are buttoned, the placket stays closed so a button is unnecessary.

I'm not a fan of the brass collar stays, they are too malleable and put undue stress on the collar points. Plus, I've heard they will stain the shirt with verdigris. I've ordered a set of plastic ones.

Being pleased with the lack of shrinkage after a launder (although I expect more shrinkage throughout the useful life of the shirts) I've ordered another set of 3. I think at $33 each, these are unbeatable.

Let's see how the elbows hold up.

Panama

Reaction score
There are around ten leading manufacturers of shirts, and the brands swap around or use several so CT will probably be as good as most other brands.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the money, I've found CT shirts to be about the best bargain out there. I don't order from them very much anymore because I've basically moved on to custom from My Tailor. For me the customized fit improvement is worth the extra money. But for $30-50, I think you would be hard pressed to find a better business shirt than CT. I got married in a CT shirt.

Panama

Reaction score
I just received 4 CT shirts, and the quality is quite good. One was made by Laguna in India and two others made in China by either TAL or Esquel. The 4th shirt is going back, it's a cotton linen blend that feels like cardboard.

Calanon

Reaction score
Great returns. Personally I find them too tight in upper arm but the returns to hone in on fit otherwise is great.

Panama

Reaction score
I just received 4 CT shirts, and the quality is quite good. One was made by Laguna in India and two others made in China by either TAL or Esquel. The 4th shirt is going back, it's a cotton linen blend that feels like cardboard.
They washed well and feel relatively fine. They are Egyptian cotton, but all budget shirts appear to be Egyptian cotton - CT, TML, H&C, and H&H. They are more blousy than TML. These are my first CT shirts.

nubirth

Reaction score
I wear a 31 sleeve with 15.5 collar size. Should I purchase the 31 sleeve ( $15 customization) with 15.5 collar, or would you guys recommend going with a 16 collar and 32 sleeve and wash at least once in hot water to shrink the shirt? I intend to dry clean. ( not buying wrinkle free shirts).

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear a 31 sleeve with 15.5 collar size. Should I purchase the 31 sleeve ( $15 customization) with 15.5 collar, or would you guys recommend going with a 16 collar and 32 sleeve and wash at least once in hot water to shrink the shirt? I intend to dry clean. ( not buying wrinkle free shirts).
I highly doubt they will shrink down to your dimensions.....just buy the right size and you’ll be 10X happier. Just my $.02

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads