Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Charcoal worn casually - black or brown?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by misterbowles, Jan 28, 2005.

1. misterbowles

misterbowles Senior member

Hi. Another sartorial question needing a quick response...

What's best with a charcoal suit worn in a casual setting (probably tie-less), black or brown/burgundy shoes? My guess is black; now that I think about, maybe that's the only answer?

Quick replies would be great.

Thanks,
    John

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

If it's an evening thing, black. Brown is great for the day time, but is sort of business-y. And try a sleek black pair that won't be mistaken for business wear. Sorry guys, that means Prada Spazzos, not Vass U-lasts. Ditch the tie unless you want to make an impression with a matte textured skinny tie (no patterns - that's a daytime, businesswear thing), and make sure you have a shirt that stands on its own. And ideally, the suit should be slimmer and cut more like an evening suit than a daytime business suit as well.

Also helps if you have Brad Pitt's physique.

3. misterbowles

misterbowles Senior member

It's a non-vented charcoal 3-button I got thrifting; there is a Lord&Taylor tag inside, but no actual manufacturer info. Sized 42R by the tag, but it's been tailored, and fits in exactly the slim way you suggest, as I am usually a 46R. A hot suit, really.

Burberry french-cuffed shirt w/red/maroon stripes and some antique cufflinks to add a little flair.

Black plain-toe AEs. Slick.

Thanks for the advice, LA.

- jpb