Charcoal tie

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by vesses, Aug 18, 2012.

1. vesses

vesses Senior member

I'm always tempted to buy a charcoal tie when I see one and I have bought quite a few in the past, but I never find a practical use for them.
    For navy, i think lighter grey goes better, sure you can do with a grey suit and light blue or white shirt, but a million other ties would look better, and I certainly don't wear black suits.
    Thoughts? Pics would be most welcome.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  2. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Maybe a light gray Harris Tweed jacket? That's the first thing that comes to mind.

3. landshark

landshark Senior member

Navy suit and white shirt.

4. Tropicalist

Tropicalist Senior member

Goes well with a mid Gray suit and white shirt. Can also work with a tan suit.

5. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

FWIW, I have exactly the same problem with charcoal cashmere or wool ties. They always look splendid as an item in themselves. But most of the time I want to wear a very dark grey tie, it's in the evening, and I prefer something a bit shinier at that time of day. And in the daytime, another tie always feels a better choice. I think it comes down to how much you like the aesthetic of a charcoal tie against a navy suit. If you really like it, you'll find the tie useful. If you think it's perfectly pleasant, but still tend to prefer something else (inc. light grey), then you'll just never use the charcoal tie.

But yeah, pics of options would be nice.