• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Charcoal Suits, Navy Suit, then what?

cruxisfalcon

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm going to be working in a business formal job (suit 4 days a week), so I'm guessing I'll need 3 suits. I already have a charcoal suit and am planning on getting a plain navy as well. Any suggestions for a third? I was thinking of getting a lighter grey, or maybe a navy or charcoal windowpane (subtle). Any others you guys recommend?

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you are wearing a suit four days a week you'll need at least 6, but never mind that for now.
smile.gif

Here was my progression: Charcoal, Navy, Medium Gray, Brown, Charcoal pinstripe, Navy pinstripe. I don't know if brown will be accepted where you work, but I believe it to be a really nice change of pace. Besides that, medium gray is essential.

Last edited:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll second medium gray as the next suit. Nice alternatives are blue (not navy) birdseye or medium gray birdseye.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Medium grey is a good third suit as others have mentioned. I would also consider getting a double breasted navy suit early on in the rotation if you're comfortable with that look.

bertie

Reaction score
In many cases you are actually limited by the selection of RTW. Medium grey is very versatile and easy to find. I think birdseye is elegant and would work for you in blue and grey but it may be more difficult to track down off the rack. If you go MTM of course these issues go away.

You will likely need more than three suits as noted though unless you can fill in with odd jackets and trousers. Stick with classic, conservative colors for the first 6 or so to get a good foundation before you add too much novelty. I do include brown as basic but your industry may be more conservative.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Stick with classic, conservative colors for the first 6 or so to get a good foundation before you add too much novelty. I do include brown as basic but your industry may be more conservative.

This is extremely good advice. I wish I had followed it to a greater extent when I was first starting out building my wardrobe.

Balfour

Reaction score
Agree with the suggestion of medium grey, with some texture (i.e. nailhead, non-shiny sharkskin). If appropriate to your workplace of course.

Macallan

Reaction score
Get a plain navy suit and a plain or patterned charcoal suit (assuming your current suit is plain); both with spare trousers.

If you really want a med-grey suit instead of charcoal, you could do that as well.

Long-term, you will need 4 three-season suits & rotation of 2 suits for summer. More long term, you could add wintet suits; however, personally, do not think it is required, depending on climate.

Last edited:

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy herringbone
Light(er) grey
Charcoal with subtle striping pattern
Nailhead, gives you a nice mix of colors.

Balfour

Reaction score
Get a plain navy suit and a plain or patterned charcoal suit (assuming your current suit is plain); both with spare trousers.

If you really want a med-grey suit instead of charcoal, you could do that as well.

Long-term, you will need 4 three-season suits & rotation of 2 suits for summer. More long term, you could add wintet suits; however, personally, do not think it is required, depending on climate.
Agree with the spare trousers, especially with a small number. They'll take much more punishment if you take your jacket off in the office, and with this little rest time between wears, will usefully extend the life of the suits.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...medium grey, medium blue or a blue-grey color. I them all. One of my favorites is a medium blue sharkshin. It's got a "two parts blue, one part grey" appearance...very sharp. I'm not a huge fan of DARK navy suits.

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For someone who wears a suit four days a week, I think I'd want more than four three-season suits before branching out into summer suits. Five might be good, because then you can have one out of the rotation (at the cleaners, etc.) and still be able to let your suits rest for a week between wearings. Six is probably better.

I do agree that summer suits are more useful than winter suits. I can see having a winter suit or two being a nice luxury, but for all practical purposes an overcoat provides the needed protection from the cold.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It depends on your climate obviously. Some places have longer and more brutal summers than others.

I agree that for practical purposes, a 3-season suit is going to be fine no matter how cold it gets as long as you've got a nice overcoat. But I don't know if I could wait 5 suits before getting anything in flannel.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It depends on your climate obviously. Some places have longer and more brutal summers than others.

I agree that for practical purposes, a 3-season suit is going to be fine no matter how cold it gets as long as you've got a nice overcoat. But I don't know if I could wait 5 suits before getting anything in flannel.

Fair point. For Chicago weather at least, flannel probably is a three season suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads