• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Charcoal Suit - Italian/British - 2 Months - $800-1,200

cestlaguerrre

Reaction score
Hi looking for a suit before mid-October, I am based in NYC

Style:

Budget:
$800-1,200

Looking for best value I can find in that range.
Spier and Mackay is sold out. Anglo is sold out.

All help is appreciated!
thank you

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
Cad and the Dandy has a studio in NYC, they might just be within your budget depending on the fabric. It's full bespoke though, so mid October can be tight, but you'll be pretty sure you get the style you want.

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
Looks nice! Seems $2,000 is unfortunately their base price.. Thanks for the rec anyway -- hadn't heard of them before

Hmm... didn't know the prices were that high state-side. Still, worth checking out if you ever have that kind of budget, the price is still much lower than most full bespoke, and I've been very happy with my purchases from their Swedish sister-company (made in the same workshop as the US ones).

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be honest that is a bit of a difficult price point. At $500-800 you have quite good options like Spier and Mackay but sounds like they’re sold out. SuitSupply and Cavour are other options. But then there is a pretty big gap above this. $1200 is too low for very good RTW at retail or decent custom makers, and in any case October is getting close for custom. I’d take a look at RL/Polo. If you can stretch to $1500-$1800 you’d have more options (e.g. Armoury, No Man Walks Alone).

cestlaguerrre

Reaction score
To be honest that is a bit of a difficult price point. At $500-800 you have quite good options like Spier and Mackay but sounds like they’re sold out. SuitSupply and Cavour are other options. But then there is a pretty big gap above this. $1200 is too low for very good RTW at retail or decent custom makers, and in any case October is getting close for custom. I’d take a look at RL/Polo. If you can stretch to $1500-$1800 you’d have more options (e.g. Armoury, No Man Walks Alone).

Ha - you’re telling me!

appreciate the thought here

Is Mashburn any good? They’re at like 1,000.. looks a touch skinny and generic to my eye, but I’m not sure

if I go to $1,500ish, is there an option that stands out In your eyes? Assuming points for in-person access because I have no clue what I’m doing! Ha

Treble

Reaction score
Hi looking for a suit before mid-October, I am based in NYC

Style:

Budget:
$800-1,200

Looking for best value I can find in that range.
Spier and Mackay is sold out. Anglo is sold out.

All help is appreciated!
thank you

If you like that one, did you phone or email Anglo Italian to see if they could just have something made? October should be plenty of time.

papado

Reaction score
SuitSupply can probably work depending on if their fits work for you. Sam Wazin has a MTM line which should be around $1200 and can usually be had in under 8 weeks but supply chains are messed up for everybody (I have some custom stuff from him and all my OTR stuff is altered by him). Alan David Custom may also be a good choice; though not sure about reviews as I can't speak for it myself.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha - you’re telling me!

appreciate the thought here

Is Mashburn any good? They’re at like 1,000.. looks a touch skinny and generic to my eye, but I’m not sure

if I go to $1,500ish, is there an option that stands out In your eyes? Assuming points for in-person access because I have no clue what I’m doing! Ha
You may already know this, but it’s important to know that custom does not always result in a good fit. For MTM/MTO, the risk goes up with more changes to the block template that the maker uses. If you don’t already have a good idea of what looks good on you, definitely go out there and try suits on. If $1500 is a possibility I’d definitely check out the Armoury. Try RL Polo and Brooks Brothers for less.

cestlaguerrre

Reaction score
You may already know this, but it’s important to know that custom does not always result in a good fit. For MTM/MTO, the risk goes up with more changes to the block template that the maker uses. If you don’t already have a good idea of what looks good on you, definitely go out there and try suits on. If $1500 is a possibility I’d definitely check out the Armoury. Try RL Polo and Brooks Brothers for less.
Yeah, I understand. Heritage American makers just look so frumpy and dull to me. I was hoping for a touch of that Italian influence. Armoury walks that line. Anglo Italian too.

Thanks for the wise words, appreciate it

Jnarcane

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hickey Freeman is in NYC. It's a heritage American maker, though. Frumpy?

If you strike out locally and want to look online, I'd suggest Pini Parma, Boggi, and Von Amper.

Edit: Paul Stuart is in NYC and in your price range when on discount. Still American, but maybe worth a look.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads