• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Charcoal sport coat + ??? pants?

m0bbie

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Please ignore everything, but the jacket.

I have this wool jacket in charcoal with thin pinstripe, and I usually wear them with black cotton pants.

Now, I want to try something different, and J. Crew is having a good sales at the moment, so I decided to purchase these chinos here in Urban Slim fit.

I tried to avoid the same shade of charcoal/grey, so I looked for a light color of grey.

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/pantsbyfit/urbanslim/PRDOVR~24976/24976.jsp

Do you think it would be a good combination?

Wool Jacket + Chino Cotton?

or this

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/pantsbyfit/urbanslim/PRDOVR~90312/90312.jsp

They are cotton, but I think it could be more appropriate with the jacket I own.

Or I should get these instead,

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/pantsbyfit/urbanslim/PRDOVR~47475/47475.jsp

They are wools.

P.S. I also have a black blazer, which I think it also could be a good match with these chinos, or no?

One last question, I got these TF loafers for pretty cheap, and would like to know that how do I wear this with suit/blazer during the summer?

The materials are white/cream suede with black leathered laces.

Maybe light colored linen or cotton sport coat+cotton chino would be great?

Thank you for answering my questions. I am in the progress of learning how to dress right with style, and open for every suggestion.

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
That jacket is going to look like an orphaned suit jacket no matter what you do (in fact, I had assumed you were wearing a suit in all of its appearances in WAYWRN). This is a problem for any charcoal jacket; that that jacket has pinstripes makes it all the harder.

A black jacket is even trickier to work with. It's probably time that you invest in a decent navy blazer.

If forced (by time or budgetary constraints), I'd go with brown rather than another gray for the pants.

And no on the shoes. They are nice enough shoes for wearing with shorts or jeans. But worn with any sort of jacket or tie, they would clash horribly.

A useful link: JRD's guide to coherent sportcoat combinations:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/317329/jrds-guide-to-coherent-sportcoat-combinations

Last edited:

m0bbie

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
That jacket is going to look like an orphaned suit jacket no matter what you do (in fact, I had assumed you were wearing a suit in all of its appearances in WAYWRN). This is a problem for any charcoal jacket; that that jacket has pinstripes makes it all the harder.

A black jacket is even trickier to work with. It's probably time that you invest in a decent navy blazer.

If forced (by time or budgetary constraints), I'd go with brown rather than another gray for the pants.

And no on the shoes. They are nice enough shoes for wearing with shorts or jeans. But worn with any sort of jacket or tie, they would clash horribly.

A useful link: JRD's guide to coherent sportcoat combinations:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/317329/jrds-guide-to-coherent-sportcoat-combinations
The jacket is actually a sport coat, and I have to agree that it looks like an orphaned suit jacket.

As of a navy, I am actually planning to buy a full navy suit at sometime next year, when I have money. I would really love Tom Ford, but my wallet will not be so happy about it.

http://www.yoox.com/us/36370889cr/item?dept=men#cod10=36370889CR&sizeId=4

I also like these pants. I love the pattern, and I think if only I had navy blazer, it will look great together. If I am buying these pants, will it be a good buy? or no.

Last edited:

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It may indeed have been intended to be a sport coat by whoever made, but if it was they sure went out of their way to make it look like an orphaned suit jacket. Like he said, no matter what you do that is what it will look like. My suggestion? Go on eBay and get you a navy blazer at a discount. I see guys at my workplace try to match up things like this all the time and it just ends up making them look like scrubs.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'd pass on those pants. And at this stage in the game, there's no need to get a TF suit. Get all the staples from brands known for their good value (quality to price). There is another good thread on building a wardrobe, but I can't remember the name of it.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the business, we call that an "orphaned suit jacket." Regardless of what the tag may have said, it's clearly a suit jacket without the matching pants. What can you wear with it? Well, if the matching pants are out of the question, I'd wear it with anything besides grey pants because if you don't, you'll probably look like a mismatched idiot who's trying to build a suit.

m0bbie

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
In the business, we call that an "orphaned suit jacket." Regardless of what the tag may have said, it's clearly a suit jacket without the matching pants. What can you wear with it? Well, if the matching pants are out of the question, I'd wear it with anything besides grey pants because if you don't, you'll probably look like a mismatched idiot who's trying to build a suit.
I realized. I normally wear them with solid black cotton casual pants, or sometimes, jeans.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this an example of a "worsted wool" jacket?

Steve Papas

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
When you see a suit jacket our mind expects to see a matching pair of pants. The orphaned suit jacket look only looks odd to people who know the difference between a sport coat, a blazer and a suit jacket. The overwhelming majority of the population does not know the difference. As long as you do not try to pull it off as a mismatched suit, you can pull it off and still look decent to the majority of the population. Try to find some pants that compliment the jacket in colour, but still provides a stark contrast. Also go for cotton pants instead of wool. This way the jacket will not look like an orphaned suit jacket to the general populous. It will just look odd to the clothing enthusiast. But in the end we have to look the best we can based on our resources.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't wear it. Solid suit jacket I could live with - but this one in pin stripe is like business suit jacket written all over it. The only pair of pants that will look good with this one would have to me with the same matching fabric of this jacket - so you can complete the suit.
At the end of the day its your choice if you want to use this orphan jacket as blazer. No one cares of what you wear or you don't.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a problem for any charcoal jacket

Not really. It's not a versatile colour, and I don't think it works with anything but light grey pants, but as long as it's not smooth worsted wool and has some sort of check pattern, or an interesting texture (think Donegal tweed) it doesn't have to look like an orphaned suit jacket...

That said, OP's jacket does really look like an orphaned suit coat, and probably is, no matter if it was sold as an odd jacket...

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would not wear any grey pants with that jacket. It is an orphaned suit jkt.
Buy a blazer/sports coat.
If you must, try blue slacks...

The loafers are to be worn with jeans....or shorts on a yacht.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Not really. It's not a versatile colour, and I don't think it works with anything but light grey pants, but as long as it's not smooth worsted wool and has some sort of check pattern, or an interesting texture (think Donegal tweed) it doesn't have to look like an orphaned suit jacket...

That said, OP's jacket does really look like an orphaned suit coat, and probably is, no matter if it was sold as an odd jacket...

True enough. I was just thinking in terms of worsted wool (and I want a gray Donegal tweed so bad).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads