Charcoal pants with dark brown suede shoes, yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Patrician, Mar 21, 2010.

1. MrG

MrG Senior member

I think the color combination is great, but I'm a little iffy on the slacks/suede shoes combo. I think I'd have to see them together to have a strong opinion.

bowtielover offers the worst sartorial advice ever, I am just telling the OP the 'rules' as I believe they exist. There is a joke often said in England that Americans 'wear brown shoes to funerals'. This is owing to their tendency to wear brown shoes in many inappropriate situations.

You guys make jokes about our shoes? Don't you have anything better to do? No wonder the Empire collapsed.

2. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Well, I think chocolate suede works well with mid and charcoal gray flannels.

3. Patrician

Patrician Senior member

Somewhere in crazy Europe with all the naked girls
    I think the color combination is great, but I'm a little iffy on the slacks/suede shoes combo. I think I'd have to see them together to have a strong opinion.
    I wish I could provide you with a photo. For the record, the slacks are quite thick in wool, so they're not from a business suit or anything.

4. BareSolid

BareSolid Senior member

You guys make jokes about our shoes? Don't you have anything better to do? No wonder the Empire collapsed.

ooh looks like I rattled your cage.

5. MrG

MrG Senior member

I wish I could provide you with a photo. For the record, the slacks are quite thick in wool, so they're not from a business suit or anything.

This sounds quite nice. I can see where a heavier fabric would go very well with suede shoes.

ooh looks like I rattled your cage.

Sorry to disappoint, but you didn't. I'm just genuinely suprised and amused that Brits have jokes about Americans' shoes. I'd like to think that, if I got to the point where I was cracking jokes about the shoe preferences of people in a country 4,000 miles away, I would find a new way to occupy my time (perhaps I'd take a up a hobby).

6. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

doable.

Aeglus - maybe not quite "there", but a look in progress. something along these lines
    [​IMG]

Small snapshot of ManOfKent, I imagine a different sportscoat, plus cardigan, etc. basically mixed accessories creates a casual but formed look. a suit and tie plus suede = disjointed
    [​IMG]

I also seem to recall Gnatty8 doing this a lot. Not suede I realize, but here's the same idea, light grey flannel and brown, just swap for suede.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. BareSolid

BareSolid Senior member

Sorry to disappoint, but you didn't. I'm just genuinely suprised and amused that Brits have jokes about Americans' shoes. I'd like to think that, if I got to the point where I was cracking jokes about the shoe preferences of people in a country 4,000 miles away, I would find a new way to occupy my time (perhaps I'd take a up a hobby).
    One doesn't 'find time' for that sort of thing, it's just a cross-cultural joke made by Britons about Americans rooted in some truth. A bit like how Yanks manage to 'find time' to accuse the British of having messed up teeth... your cage is really rattled, admit it.

8. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

If your going for more of a casual look then yay if not then nay.

9. MrG

MrG Senior member

One doesn't 'find time' for that sort of thing, it's just a cross-cultural joke made by Britons about Americans rooted in some truth. A bit like how Yanks manage to 'find time' to accuse the British of having messed up teeth... your cage is really rattled, admit it.

Sorry, my limey antagonist, but I've made a resolution to avoid being baited by untalented trolls, so no dice.

10. Neo1824

Neo1824 Senior member

yea....use this look often.

11. ASG

ASG Member

Yes

From Alan Flusser (Clothes and the Man):

12. George

George Senior member

I'm not a fan of brown shoes whether they be calf or suede with any shade of grey. I much prefer black.

13. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Almost Special

grey and brown suede is a great combo. I am in the process of looking for the perfect brown suede shoes to match with grey pants.

14. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

I don't like suede with dress slacks. Jeans, yes. Slacks, no. Nay. A preemptive "fuck you" to the fag who criticizes my criticism.

Nice.

15. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

Bumping this because I was about to ask the very same question. (Search FTW!)

Adding to the OP's question, what socks and belt would be appropriate for the combination he put forth?

- Keith