• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Charcoal pants and brown shoes

shawnd64

Reaction score
My wife always tells me black shoes with black pants, and since charcoal is a variation of black then black is the way to go. I usually wear brown shoes/belt with tan or brown pants.

I often see that people do wear charcoal and brown... And I tried it on this and thought it looked quite nice... Tho I stuck to the black instead.

When I say brown, my shoes are a cherry brown.... Do any of you do this?

Also I usually wear a brown watch band or black watch band to match my shoes... If I can pull off charcoal pants and brown shoes, which watch is appropriate?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do wear dark brown shoes with odd charcoal trousers and SC but never with a charcoal suit.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
charcoal pants with brown shoes is perfectly acceptable, and when done well, sublime. I particularly like dark brown suede with charcoal trousers.

I've never really bought all that hard into watch bands matching shoes/belts (maybe it's just because I don't have that many watches) so I'd say either is fine. In any case, you can wear brown shoes/belts/watchbands with charcoal trousers and suits with confidence.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have always though of charcoal as a variation of gray not black. As such it goes with any color of shoe.

Sazerac

Reaction score
Charcoal pants and brown shoes work very well together. In fact, it's a far more interesting look than charcoal pants and black shoes.

Don't worry about matching your watch band to your shoes. Do, however, match your belt to your shoes. The match doesn't have to be exact, but keeping it in the same family of browns is probably for the best.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
looks great with charcoal trousers and a sportcoat....id wear black with a full suit though.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
looks great with charcoal trousers and a sportcoat....id wear black with a full suit though.
Same here, although I think burgundy works even better with charcoal.

tim_horton

Reaction score
Dark brown looks nice, but so does black. Purely up to personal preference and the situation. Some people like lighter browns as well but that's not for me (again, personal preference.)

For some reason I also prefer black with suits though.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm wearing charcoal flannel trousers and brown shoes today. It was a toss up between the brown shoes or black shoes this morning but brown won because they were easier to reach without making any noise and waking up my wife before work.

shawnd64

Reaction score
Oh good
I noticed myself in the mirror at work and really didn't like the black I had on, much preferred the look of the browns... next time. And I guess watch doesn't matter to much huh? Cause I like the black ones I own better than my one brown one....

Oleg

Reaction score
chop and change depending on mood - live dangerously!

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PenelopeWildberry
Everything goes with Black Shoes but brown is unacceptable. Btw charcoal shoes is acceptable. If you really wanna be Mr. Brown then get every accessories like watch, belt, shoes in brown and rest things match with your test of style.

Penelope Wildberry

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PenelopeWildberry
Everything goes with Black Shoes but brown is unacceptable. Btw charcoal shoes is acceptable. If you really wanna be Mr. Brown then get every accessories like watch, belt, shoes in brown and rest things match with your test of style.

Penelope Wildberry

"What you talking bout Willis?"

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 22 16.8%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 38 29.0%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 28 21.4%