• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

charcoal grey shoes

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a company that makes/ sells charcoal grey dress shoes? I've been having a hard time in search of some.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's an odd colour. I have seen some lighter gray shoes, mostly Italian, so would suggest that you look in that direction. More likely you'd have to go with a made to order program with one of the flexible shoe makers like Gravati or Martegani. I honestly can't recall ever seeing charcoal gray leather offered by any shoe maker, though.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1zmjm6h.jpg

Berluti
French more likely than Italian as they do have the entire color scheme

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
That's an odd colour. I have seen some lighter gray shoes, mostly Italian, so would suggest that you look in that direction. More likely you'd have to go with a made to order program with one of the flexible shoe makers like Gravati or Martegani. I honestly can't recall ever seeing charcoal gray leather offered by any shoe maker, though.

I'm fairly certain I've seen gray shoes by Gravati, so that's an excellent suggestion.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
French is a good suggestion, since they can dye and antique. The Berluti gray shown isn't so uncommon; I know Lance at VCH had some boots in a similar graphite, perhaps a bit lighter, and samples of the colour are readily available.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
John Lobb's pewter museum calf is an interesting grey but perhaps not quite the shade you seek.

deepitm

Reaction score
Thanks CY.

What happens if you polish shoes with the wrong shade? In this example, could I turn the grey into black? It seems possible, but I dunno. In a more extreme example, could you turn brown dress shoes black with polish alone?

deepitm

Reaction score
FYI, that Meltonian Charcoal Grey did the trick. Thanks again.

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks CY.
What happens if you polish shoes with the wrong shade? In this example, could I turn the grey into black? It seems possible, but I dunno. In a more extreme example, could you turn brown dress shoes black with polish alone?

No. You could darken it, but it would wear off. You would need shoe dye to make it black.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads