1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

charcoal grey shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by contactme_11, Jul 10, 2006.

1. contactme_11

contactme_11 Senior member

Does anyone know of a company that makes/ sells charcoal grey dress shoes? I've been having a hard time in search of some.

2. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

That's an odd colour. I have seen some lighter gray shoes, mostly Italian, so would suggest that you look in that direction. More likely you'd have to go with a made to order program with one of the flexible shoe makers like Gravati or Martegani. I honestly can't recall ever seeing charcoal gray leather offered by any shoe maker, though.

3. Soph

Soph Senior member

[​IMG]
    Berluti
    French more likely than Italian as they do have the entire color scheme

4. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

That's an odd colour. I have seen some lighter gray shoes, mostly Italian, so would suggest that you look in that direction. More likely you'd have to go with a made to order program with one of the flexible shoe makers like Gravati or Martegani. I honestly can't recall ever seeing charcoal gray leather offered by any shoe maker, though.

I'm fairly certain I've seen gray shoes by Gravati, so that's an excellent suggestion.

5. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

French is a good suggestion, since they can dye and antique. The Berluti gray shown isn't so uncommon; I know Lance at VCH had some boots in a similar graphite, perhaps a bit lighter, and samples of the colour are readily available.

6. Soph

Soph Senior member

7. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

John Lobb's pewter museum calf is an interesting grey but perhaps not quite the shade you seek.

8. deepitm

deepitm Senior member

Absolutely ancient thread to bump, but how does one go about keeping the charcoal tone of the shoe when polishing? Is there grey polish?

EDIT: Nevermind, searching for "gray" instead of "grey" yielded a recommendation. http://www.styleforum.net/t/175881/caring-for-gray-shoes

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  9. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

10. deepitm

deepitm Senior member

Thanks CY.

What happens if you polish shoes with the wrong shade? In this example, could I turn the grey into black? It seems possible, but I dunno. In a more extreme example, could you turn brown dress shoes black with polish alone?

11. deepitm

deepitm Senior member

FYI, that Meltonian Charcoal Grey did the trick. Thanks again.

12. cbbuff

cbbuff Senior member

No. You could darken it, but it would wear off. You would need shoe dye to make it black.