• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

charcoal grey shoes

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a company that makes/ sells charcoal grey dress shoes? I've been having a hard time in search of some.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's an odd colour. I have seen some lighter gray shoes, mostly Italian, so would suggest that you look in that direction. More likely you'd have to go with a made to order program with one of the flexible shoe makers like Gravati or Martegani. I honestly can't recall ever seeing charcoal gray leather offered by any shoe maker, though.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Berluti
French more likely than Italian as they do have the entire color scheme

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
That's an odd colour. I have seen some lighter gray shoes, mostly Italian, so would suggest that you look in that direction. More likely you'd have to go with a made to order program with one of the flexible shoe makers like Gravati or Martegani. I honestly can't recall ever seeing charcoal gray leather offered by any shoe maker, though.

I'm fairly certain I've seen gray shoes by Gravati, so that's an excellent suggestion.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
French is a good suggestion, since they can dye and antique. The Berluti gray shown isn't so uncommon; I know Lance at VCH had some boots in a similar graphite, perhaps a bit lighter, and samples of the colour are readily available.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
John Lobb's pewter museum calf is an interesting grey but perhaps not quite the shade you seek.

deepitm

Reaction score
Thanks CY.

What happens if you polish shoes with the wrong shade? In this example, could I turn the grey into black? It seems possible, but I dunno. In a more extreme example, could you turn brown dress shoes black with polish alone?

deepitm

Reaction score
FYI, that Meltonian Charcoal Grey did the trick. Thanks again.

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks CY.
What happens if you polish shoes with the wrong shade? In this example, could I turn the grey into black? It seems possible, but I dunno. In a more extreme example, could you turn brown dress shoes black with polish alone?

No. You could darken it, but it would wear off. You would need shoe dye to make it black.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 142 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 265 32.4%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.9%
  • 31 - 40