• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've decided as of today that I have too many pairs of black shoes. So I'd like to try and change the color on one or two pairs. Has anyone done this, and how?

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Once you go black, you don't go back.

rimshot.gif

JSK

Reaction score
I got the impression from other posters that you could strip the shoes to fairly light colors with acetone. I've not tried it myself, but I would suggest trying that on your least desirable shoes, or buying a cheap pair at a thrift or ebay. I do know that rubbing alcohol got some burgundy shoes of mine to a very pale shade of red, but I decided there was no way in heck I could pull that off, so several layers of polish restored it to burgundy. Now I can't find where the heck I left that tin. Bah.

Shoe-nut

Reaction score
I had a friend at one time who spilled some black dye onto a nice pair of brown custom boots. It wasn't much of a spill but nevertheless it really stood out on the boot it was on. He tried everything to get that stain removed even sanding the leather down trying to get below the stain.

That dye had soaked into the leather so deep that he finally gave up on them and gave them to me. I didn't want them and dyeing them all black wasn't an option as he had ruined the surface with his sanding so I sold them.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
usually black shoes are permanently black . you cannot go backwards (dark to lighter)

and acetone is not strong enough to wipe out black color dyed on the shoe.

remember, acetone is essentially nail polish remover sold over counter at cosmetics sections.
if they were powerful to remove dyes off of factory blackened leathers, many women will be out there in the emergency room with flaming fingers.

anyways, a good experience i have is with shoe cream of a lighter color let say crimson. it has to be bright.

apply and buff apply and buff to the toe or heel. every time you buff the color of the cream will penetrate a little but it will still be mainly black.

do this again the next day, apply buff apply buff. do not cake it on. make sure you buff it all off. only the color residue will remain.

do this for three or four days, and each day the color will start to come through ... do not apply wax polish until the cream job days are all over . until you got your desired level of hue. as once you apply the wax, the cream on top does not make sense.
it takes practice and patience. but the color of cream will not be the exact on the black shoe. it will be a mix of whatever cream color and black.

soin the instance of crimson, the eventual color will be a sort of orangy brown. (black + red)

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
usually black shoes are permanently black . you cannot go backwards (dark to lighter)

and acetone is not strong enough to wipe out black color dyed on the shoe.

remember, acetone is essentially nail polish remover sold over counter at cosmetics sections.
if they were powerful to remove dyes off of factory blackened leathers, many women will be out there in the emergency room with flaming fingers.

anyways, a good experience i have is with shoe cream of a lighter color let say crimson. it has to be bright.

apply and buff apply and buff to the toe or heel. every time you buff the color of the cream will penetrate a little but it will still be mainly black.

do this again the next day, apply buff apply buff. do not cake it on. make sure you buff it all off. only the color residue will remain.

do this for three or four days, and each day the color will start to come through ... do not apply wax polish until the cream job days are all over . until you got your desired level of hue. as once you apply the wax, the cream on top does not make sense.
it takes practice and patience. but the color of cream will not be the exact on the black shoe. it will be a mix of whatever cream color and black.

soin the instance of crimson, the eventual color will be a sort of orangy brown. (black + red)

i have been meaning to do this, only that I want the final effect to be eggplant-like, so I want a dark purplish hue on the toe and heel.

Edit: OMG, I must be the first to have 4 posts in a row basically saying the same thing. My computer/internet is acting up. My apologies

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i havent yet tried, as i have only tried 3 days worth:

a bit of red rubbed in /buff repeat repeat

day2
same repeat repeat

day3
same repeat repeat

result is i get a orangy brownish toe.

ok now, if i was to continue now this time with a burgundy cream:

day1 bit of burgundy rubbed in /buff repeat repeat

day2 ...and so on...
now i got a burgundy mixing in with the already brown colored leather underneath.

this gradual change of colors (g r a d u a l l y) will maybe one day be able to make an eggplant coloration on it.

i would not expect that kind of a color to appear right away as black mixed with anything red just gives brown for now.
but a brown leather mixed with that kind of color will bring about something closer to eggplant but not that close yet

and so on and so on until the color of the leather underneath finally is able to harmonize with the constant creaming that will one day impart that eggplant desired color.

im not making any sense, cannot articulate, but i will have to give this a try myself one day and let you know.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
sysdoc did it

So he says, though he won't tell anyone how.
sly.gif

JSK

Reaction score
Doing another search I found that A Harris stripped some shoes, and he got them to a nice blue shade. I had thought that it was possible to change the color of the shoe completely to say brown or whatnot, but I guess I was wrong. I'm going to try acetone on some eBay AE Macneil's I just got in, and see how that works.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is a Vintage 2002 after acetone stripping

johnlobbvintage2002acetxs9.jpg

Here is the Vintage 2002 with added green and red kiwi polish

johnlobbvintage2002acetrl7.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads