• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bespoke-london
I have tried this technique & as you will see from the photo's it works & I believe that with care, any colour can be achieved.

1...Use Asetone chemical to remove the surface polish. Rub very hard with a cloth / duster. (approx 5 mins per shoe) This will leave the died black leather without a shine surface.
2...Use un-diluted hosehold Bleach to remove colour. Rub very hard with a cloth / duster. Where you want an extra light area, pour the bleach on to the shoe being careful to wipe in quickly to ensure an even area..( if not, it will look streaky) (approx 10 mins per shoe)..I left some areas black so to give a patina look.
3...Leave to dry for an hour or so. (The shoes will smell of bleach for a week or so)
4...To Colour...Use Kiwi Renovating polish on the dry leather & then kiwi polish to create the required shine. I did not use shoe cream as I have found that renovating polish is more of a dye & creams tend to wipe off easily.

I would say that I polished these 10 or so times to achieve the shine I wanted.

I remembered this post & pics when I recently bought a pair of black Chukkas & aim to do the same. Good work.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have tried this technique & as you will see from the photo's it works & I believe that with care, any colour can be achieved.

1...Use Asetone chemical to remove the surface polish. Rub very hard with a cloth / duster. (approx 5 mins per shoe) This will leave the died black leather without a shine surface.

2...Use un-diluted hosehold Bleach to remove colour. Rub very hard with a cloth / duster. Where you want an extra light area, pour the bleach on to the shoe being careful to wipe in quickly to ensure an even area..( if not, it will look streaky) (approx 10 mins per shoe)..I left some areas black so to give a patina look.

3...Leave to dry for an hour or so. (The shoes will smell of bleach for a week or so)

4...To Colour...Use Kiwi Renovating polish on the dry leather & then kiwi polish to create the required shine. I did not use shoe cream as I have found that renovating polish is more of a dye & creams tend to wipe off easily.

I would say that I polished these 10 or so times to achieve the shine I wanted.

Reviving an old thread....

I have a pair of 10 years old Bostonian Classic LWB in black. Given that I don't really wear black shoes a lot, I want to change the color to dark burgundy.

Question for the experts here: I am just wondering if I could skip the bleaching part (step 2 and 3) and only use acetone and red/burgundy shoe polish?

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Starting with tan or brown leather gives you a chance but starting from black, at least for my own experiences, has proven a waste of time.

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a nooB is wondering about an idea & asking for help and advice.
i'm wodering if it is possible to strip say a top layer of black from a shoe and refinish the area as navy blue.

i realize having a black base will substantially darken virtually any color 'laid' on top of it but what i'm truly after is a fairly high bluer sheen.

anyone have any experience with this ? is it even possible.

Last edited:

Ivar

Reaction score

a nooB is wondering about an idea & asking for help and advice.
i'm wodering if it is possible to strip say a top layer of black from a shoe and refinish the area as navy blue.

i realize having a black base will substantially darken virtually any color 'laid' on top of it but what i'm truly after is a fairly high bluer sheen.

anyone have any experience with this ?  is it even possible.

I wouldn't worry about the "black base". Shoe dye normally is so thick that it more than covers whatever color the shoes originally had. You have to scrape pretty heavily at the dye for it to crack and reveal the color underneath it. I've dyed two pairs of leather shoes, and they both turned out great.

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about the "black base". Shoe dye normally is so thick that it more than covers whatever color the shoes originally had. You have to scrape pretty heavily at the dye for it to crack and reveal the color underneath it. I've dyed two pairs of leather shoes, and they both turned out great.
thanks for the reply. have you ever used Saphir recolorant for something like this or just dyed in the wool dye ?

maybe it's just time to take an old pair of black shoes & experiment a little.

Last edited:

Ivar

Reaction score

Bertrand

Reaction score
here is a pair of black shoes i creamed crimson several times and then repeat the next day. at the end i put a mirror polish.
(you cannot put a mirror polish if you just cake or layer cream on the leather like paint, you have to impart the essence of the cream color and buff off the cream. do this several times per day and a few days).

IMGP2487.jpg

here is how they look under a flash. they dont look like this in natural light (those of you experience taking pictures of shoes with digital camera know).
see how the cream imparted a brownish reddish hue . i repeat, i did not cheat and just paint the cream dried on. or else i cannot get a mirror shine like above. it is imparted color . if you take your finger and run across that toe, you will feel a smooth even surface.

IMGP2470.jpg

as you can see i tried a john lobb red MUSEUM mottled effect. doesnt look good in flash but in natural light under the mirror polish it is subtle.
Hi Sir sho'nuff ,

your antiquing is fantastic ! what brand of cream polish did you use on the black shoes?

thanks!

Bertrand

Reaction score
Hi Sir sho'nuff ,

your antiquing is fantastic ! what brand of cream polish did you use on the black shoes?

thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads