• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Changing the angle of sleeve attachment

nicad2000

Reaction score
I'm hoping I can articulate myself clearly regarding the question after a few drinks and so forth... Anyway, please bear with me.

I've come to the conclusion that in order for many jackets to fit me properly I will need to have the angle at which the sleeve attaches to the chest adjusted slightly inward. As part of this I will also need to have the excess fabric directly under the armpits taken in a bit. It seems to me that this alteration would preserve a clean line from the shoulder seam through the body of the jacket.

My question is this: Is this a fairly routine alteration that can be undertaken by a competent tailor, or am I thinking of something that's never been attempted before? Finally, does my reasoning behind wanting to do this seem sound?

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your concerns are not unwarranted. Finding a competent tailor will be problematic.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have to get the same thing done on many of my RTW suit jackets and it is important to find a really good tailor for this. It should also be an expensive operation at $100 and up.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's