• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Changing sole edge color

Northampton Novice

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am curious to find out if I can change the sole edge color on a pair of shoes.

The shoes in question just aren't featuring in my rotation because they are a little bland looking. They are welted and have a stacked heel with the sole edging in black. I think it would look more interesting if the shoes in question had a brown sole edge as per most C&Js.

I've considered two possibilities:-

1. Lightly sand down the existing sole edge finish and then re-color with Fiebings brown sole edging

Or 2) Bleach the existing sole edge and then color with the aforementioned brown sole edging

What do you think?

I'll be grateful for your guidance!

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Northampton Novice
1. Lightly sand down the existing sole edge finish and then re-color with Fiebings brown sole edging
I don't see why this wouldn't work, although I must admit I've never done anything like this before. I would avoid the bleach option if possible, I'm not sure what other deleterious effects the bleach would have on shoe leather. EDIT - I'd start with very fine sandpaper. Don't use too coarse stuff if you don't have too.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
I don't see why this wouldn't work, although I must admit I've never done anything like this before. I would avoid the bleach option if possible, I'm not sure what other deleterious effects the bleach would have on shoe leather.

x2

To be honest though, unless you are a professional who works with shoes, I see this ending in disaster.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not going to work. There are two things, the welt and the sole. The sole edge won't be a problem, but the welt will. There are too many grooves in the top of the welt to sand the color out. Also, I would be worried than any chemicals would compromise the adhesive that holds the sole on.

TRA8324

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
Not going to work. There are two things, the welt and the sole. The sole edge won't be a problem, but the welt will. There are too many grooves in the top of the welt to sand the color out. Also, I would be worried than any chemicals would compromise the adhesive that holds the sole on.

This is what I was thinking. It seems like it would be very difficult.

Northampton Novice

Reaction score
I'm beginning to appreciate the gravity of what appears to be a relatively simple task...

I'd love to take them to a decent cobbler if there were such a creature within 100 miles of my location. (No, I don't reside in Northampton as my nick might suggest).

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You can get them re-welted and re-soled, but that is costly. Unless of course you are so sold on the idea that it doesn't matter. I am sure Nick V. could do it. You can ship them to B. Nelson.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads