• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Changing pleated trousers to flat fronts.

tgfny

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this? Can you recommend a tailor in NYC to remove the offending fabric?

stache

Reaction score
IMO this would be more trouble than it would be worth unless you have gained weight in the belly. Even then you would have to make sure that there is enough waistband in the back to accomodate the new front. Otherwise you get into recutting the front pockets etc.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
why would you want to? how much did the trousers cost originally?

tgfny

Reaction score
I thought you would just recut the trousers at the fly to get rid of the extra fabric. Is this wrong?

tgfny

Reaction score
Well, they are RLPL and PS's that I got at the sample sales, Retail was $250-$350. Paid little for the trousers.

stache

Reaction score
It would be far easier to recut the pockets than the fly.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
(m@T @ April 20 2005,07:37) why would you want to? how much did the trousers cost originally?
Well, they are RLPL and PS's that I got at the sample sales, Retail was $250-$350. Paid little for the trousers.
so youre prepared to destroy them without being too upset about it?

tgfny

Reaction score
(tgfny @ April 20 2005,07:43)
Originally Posted by m@T,April 20 2005,07:37
so youre prepared to destroy them without being too upset about it?
yavoul. I know nothing.

tgfny

Reaction score
"Len" is the eminent NYC tailor Leonard Logsdail:
What'd he know about the subject??? Thanks for the reference. Question still seems not resolved.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
i think the best answer you will get is "take them to a tailor and ask" - especially if you are not scared to destroy them. see if its cost prohibitive - alterations may end up more expensive than the pants.

id take one pair (the ones I liked less) and let him have a go at it, see if you are happy with how it turns out, before sticking the others on the chopping block

tgfny

Reaction score
see if its cost prohibitive - alterations may end up more expensive than the pants.
Given what I paid for 'em, $30-50, I am quite sure the alterations will be more. My old girlfriend used to laugh because I'd spend twice what I paid for a coat (was getting RLPL cashmere sportcoats for $70) on alterations.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads