Changing of the threads at The Daily Show

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SGladwell, May 19, 2006.

1. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

Did anyone else notice that the credits on TDS indicate that Jon Stewart has traded in his Canalis for RLBL?

I didn't notice anything different about his suit today, just the change in the credits.

2. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Yes! Actually, I just noticed that the other day. The credits said wardrobe was provided by "Ralph Lauren Black Label." I didn't even know that there was a black label (unless I misread and it said Blue Label).

3. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

Yes! Actually, I just noticed that the other day. The credits said wardrobe was provided by "Ralph Lauren Black Label." I didn't even know that there was a black label (unless I misread and it said Blue Label).
    No, there is. It's more fashion-forward than Blue (slimmer lapels, more waist suppression, flat fronts, etc.) and somewhere in between Blue and Purple label as far as quality goes.

4. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Black label is real. It's relatively new, but there was talk here a while back that the line had been discontinued. Perhaps we were misinformed?

5. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

RL is still paying for BL ads last I checked the fashion mags.

6. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thanks, Whoopee. I should pay more attention to the ads.

7. thinman

thinman Senior member

Black label jackets are, unfortunately, fused. I've seen them at the Beverly Hills store.

8. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Black label jackets are, unfortunately, fused. I've seen them at the Beverly Hills store.

[​IMG]

don't they retail higher than Polo Blue Label?

9. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

[​IMG]

don't they retail higher than Polo Blue Label?

Yes.

I have not examined them myself, however I was under the impression that they were fully canvased.

10. thinman

thinman Senior member

[​IMG] don't they retail higher than Polo Blue Label?
    Yes, Black Label does retail for more than Blue Label, but Black Label jackets are fused. I inspected them myself in the Beverly Hills store and exclaimed several times to the assembled salesmen "It's too bad they're fused". I wanted them to tell me that at least some of the line is fully canvassed, but they only shrugged their shoulders and offered to show me Purple Label (but they didn't have any RLPL in my size). The salesmen included RL's top suit salesman in the nation, so I assume he knows his stuff and would have mentioned if _any_ of the Black Label jackets he had seen were fully canvassed. Edit: Z, I was also surprised, as I went to the store with great anticipation, knowing they were one of the few RL stores in the country that carry Black Label. The price point made me think the jackets must be fully canvassed, so I was shocked and _very_ disappointed to learn otherwise. It's _so_ hard for me to find RTW jackets in my size and I was hoping Black Label would provide a good option.

11. kronik

kronik Senior member

I just received a Black Label flyer in the mail from my Ralph Lauren salesman.. still alive and well as far as I know.