• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Changing my style

Jadedat29

Reaction score
I'm 29 years old and I don't dress like an adult. I spent a lot of years wearing jeans (black carharts actually), black band tee-shirts decorated with demons and skulls and chains and fire and the like, and big clunky black boots. For most of my life that is how I liked it. My chosen style was an intentional lack of style.

But now I'm growing up. I'm back in school, I have formal meetings all the time, plans to go to law school etc. So my intentional lack of style started wearing thin. Since I started that way to a minor extent, I have let my wife dress me. She is very into the preppy kinda look and the transition from heavy metal rebel and country and western outlaw to your friendly neighborhood prep has not gone well. I don't even really know who I am any more.

So I figure letting my wife dress me isn't the way to go. Which means, I now with no prior knowledge of fashion, have to totally reinvent my style. I wanna dress in a manner that speaks of my maturity and the life I'm trying to create, but I also need to express the harder edge that I am more comfortable with. I'm also interested in a look that is more timeless than it is faddy. Black and purple should be the most prominent color lol

I don't know how anyone here can help me. Maybe tips, suggestions, advice or point me to resources?

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jadedat29
I'm 29 years old and I don't dress like an adult. I spent a lot of years wearing jeans (black carharts actually), black band tee-shirts decorated with demons and skulls and chains and fire and the like, and big clunky black boots. For most of my life that is how I liked it. My chosen style was an intentional lack of style.

But now I'm growing up. I'm back in school, I have formal meetings all the time, plans to go to law school etc. So my intentional lack of style started wearing thin. Since I started that way to a minor extent, I have let my wife dress me. She is very into the preppy kinda look and the transition from heavy metal rebel and country and western outlaw to your friendly neighborhood prep has not gone well. I don't even really know who I am any more.

So I figure letting my wife dress me isn't the way to go. Which means, I now with no prior knowledge of fashion, have to totally reinvent my style. I wanna dress in a manner that speaks of my maturity and the life I'm trying to create, but I also need to express the harder edge that I am more comfortable with. I'm also interested in a look that is more timeless than it is faddy. Black and purple should be the most prominent color lol

I don't know how anyone here can help me. Maybe tips, suggestions, advice or point me to resources?

If you're going into the legal field, you're moving into a pretty conservative mode of dress- navy and gray 2 button suits.

Gwarg

Reaction score
Just take some time to read around this site and learn more, and look at WAYWRN regularly for ideas. You'll soon know more than most people you know.

twistoffat

Reaction score
The advice above is good. Start browsing fashion sites and this forum to develope a feel for what you might like. As mentioned Law is pretty conservative but the change you desire will not happen overnight. Give it a bit of time and you´ll be alright

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the transition from heavy metal rebel and country and western outlaw to your friendly neighborhood prep has not gone well. I don't even really know who I am any more.

John Varvatos? Just stay away from shiny stuff and footwear from JV.

Reaction score
You can find very useful information browsing this forum.

To start building your wardrobe you will need a couple of suits. Plain navy and charcoal -as said above- are good and safe choices. They are very versatile, so you can wear them in many occasions.
Once you feel comfortable and get used to wearing suits, you can add more suits to your wardrobe to make it more complete (Prince of Wales, pinstripe, bird´s eye, etc), but to start and if you have to choose only one, go for a 2 buttons, notched lapel, double back vent Navy suit.

As for shirts, white shirts look always great, and you can combine them with almost everything. Light blue and light pink are a must have too (in plain, stripes or herringbone pattern for example).

Jadedat29

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Is there like a basic fashion tutorial anywhere on the web?

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jadedat29

I have recently made a similar transition, except my starting point was more "bro" than "cowboy/goth/rocker." Go slow, read a lot, and get over the color black. Also, follow WAYWRN to see both what to do (Spoo Poker, NiiDawg, MBreinin, Urban Composition, PandArts, Orgetronix) and what not to do (me, though even broken clocks are right twice a day).

Scotty

Reaction score
Of course, this forum but as a quick guide I like this:
http://www.atailoredsuit.com/mens-st...ored-suit.html
Also, for a transition I'd start with chinos or khakis, button down shirts and sport jackets before going to suits but maybe you need the suits right now?
About the hard edge... I don't know how can you put that together with the law business...
eh.gif
but I'm just a novice here... maybe a 40's gangster look?

etb

Reaction score
I second Gwarg's recommendation to "look at WAYWRN regularly for ideas." You'll gradually notice and appreciate details and will develop a style that is objectively excellent and coincides with your tastes. For starters, watch the heavy-hitters like Spoo, NiiDawg, Phat Guido, IST66, UrbanComposition, and NewYorkRanger. And when in doubt: buy fewer high-quality pieces.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by etb
I second Gwarg's recommendation to "look at WAYWRN regularly for ideas." You'll gradually notice and appreciate details and will develop a style that is objectively excellent and coincides with your tastes. For starters, watch the heavy-hitters like Spoo, NiiDawg, Phat Guido, UrbanComposition, and NewYorkRanger.

+1 here...

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the key is to start off gradually. It's a mistake to jump right into a new style you're not yet comfortable with. So, start off slow. Focus on basics, and fit. And keep in mind you don't have to throw out your original ascetic altogether. Just try to streamline it. You always have the weekends to dress more casually. Instead of wearing band t-shirts, wear simple, solid t-shirts, preferably ones that aren't too baggy. You can still wear jeans, just go for classic fits. Same with boots, just buy ones in a more subtle style. Lose all dragons and skulls. Once you have your casual wear mastered, move on to the more formal. I think Head Banger to Preppy is too huge jump between styles.

You said you wanted to still maintain a harder edge, while still looking grown up and professional. I think you could take inspiration from Milan Vukmirovic, who has a tough guy appearance, but who still looks comfortable in more conservative clothes. Just keep the patterns and colours subtle. Start of with greys, then see what else works and what doest.

1079Milan4375Web.jpg

6a00d8341cc8d453ef011570564c7b970c-300wi

cdocuments-and-settingsmschneiedesktopstyle-file-photosweek-of-3-8-10the-webster-louis-xiii.jpg

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dr Huh?
I think the key is to start off gradually. It's a mistake to jump right into a new style you're not yet comfortable with. So, start off slow. Focus on basics, and fit. And keep in mind you don't have to throw out your original ascetic altogether. Just try to streamline it. You always have the weekends to dress more casually. Instead of wearing band t-shirts, wear simple, solid t-shirts, preferably ones that aren't too baggy. You can still wear jeans, just go for classic fits. Same with boots, just buy ones in a more subtle style. Lose all dragons and skulls. Once you have your casual wear mastered, move on to the more formal. I think Head Banger to Preppy is too huge jump between styles.

You said you wanted to still maintain a harder edge, while still looking grown up and professional. I think you could take inspiration from Milan Vukmirovic, who has a tough guy appearance, but who still looks comfortable in more conservative clothes. Just keep the patterns and colours subtle. Start of with greys, then see what else works and what doest.

1079Milan4375Web.jpg

6a00d8341cc8d453ef011570564c7b970c-300wi

cdocuments-and-settingsmschneiedesktopstyle-file-photosweek-of-3-8-10the-webster-louis-xiii.jpg

He also said he was going to law school, which means pretty much anything approximating Milan V would be untenable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads