• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Changing jobs -- references

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of applying for another job. The announcement for the job in which I am interested requests a list of three professional references. I have been at my current job for almost four years, so it is unavoidable that a few of my supervisors will be on that list. What is the most delicate way to broach this subject to those individuals?

lifersfc

Reaction score
I would not list any references. After you have been in for interviews and they are thinking about hiring you, then you can go ahead and provide names of colleagues and superiors. But having these people know you are out looking for a new job is not going to be pleasant.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what I have done is the following

References

1. my direct suporvisor (name and contact details to be provided immidiatly following interview) has known me for years and has given me above satisfactory evaluations every year
2. previous suporvisor - John Smith, 555 8787, has known me for 8 years, and ......
3. head of department (name and contact details to be provided immidiatly following interviet) has interacted with me extensively and awarded me MVP in 2007
4. etc.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clients? People who have worked with you, but not from your firm?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Clients? People who have worked with you, but not from your firm?
I work for the federal government. I know two criminal defendants who I kept in prison who can attest to my legal acumen.
smile.gif

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
C, if I may ask, is it a government or private sector position? In my experience (quite recent in fact, today's my last day at my firm) the potential employer often will agree to hold off on contacting references until the point at which they are the last hurdle in the process. Otherwise, I think it depends a lot on your relationship with your supervisors and with the firm in general. Obviously, the more different the position is from what you're doing (e.g., it's a public sector job) the easier it is to approach a current colleague or supervisor and say, "I would have no interest in leaving for a comparable position elsewhere, but this is a unique opportunity . . ."

I don't think I agree with lifer. Again, every situation is different. But it doesn't have to be destructive of your relationship with current colleagues, and not providing references when they are specifically required could kill your chances of getting the new position.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
AC, if I may ask, is it a government or private sector position? In my experience (quite recent in fact, today's my last day at my firm) the potential employer often will agree to hold off on contacting references until the point at which they are the last hurdle in the process. Otherwise, I think it depends a lot on your relationship with your supervisors and with the firm in general. Obviously, the more different the position is from what you're doing (e.g., it's a public sector job) the easier it is to approach a current colleague or supervisor and say, "I would have no interest in leaving for a comparable position elsewhere, but this is a unique opportunity . . ."

I don't think I agree with lifer. Again, every situation is different. But it doesn't have to be destructive of your relationship with current colleagues, and not providing references when they are specifically required could kill your chances of getting the new position.

Oops, just read your post. For some reason I thought you were currently in private practice. It's not unusual, in my experience, for government attorneys to consider other opportunities, and most supervisors are likely to understand the reasons for that. Depending on where the new opportunity is, is there an opportunity to raise directly with them the issue of when references are to be provided or contacted?

Good luck, by the way.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
I know two criminal defendants who I kept in prison who can attest to my legal acumen.
smile.gif

Not exactly an endorsement if you're now working on the other side of the fence.
laugh.gif

GL.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Are you going private? Heeding the call of Mammon???

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads