• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Changing degrees

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Currently i'm studying maths and statistic at the LSE, but i'm thinking of switching to either straight economics, statistics and finance or accounting and finance. Basically i'm just trying to get away from the maths because i'm not too good at it, but i'm great at statistics and economics. Economics would be my first choice because it has no maths at all and it still a difficult degree then either accounting and finance or stats and finance because accounting is an easy degree, but its not very prestigious, but stats and finance still has maths. All the degrees are BSc. Basically what i'm asking is am I going to **** up my career prospects by switching degrees particularly to accounting and finance because the department would most readily accept me.

Last edited:

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Firstly, there is math in Economics. It may not teach a new type of math, but there's quite a bit of mathematical application.

Secondly, changing your major is seriously business; don't do it on a whim. The big reason for going to college (grad. school) is to help your career. Think about what type of work you want to do for a living and think about the types of jobs that are available in that field. Go to your school's career center and talk to them about your situation. Work out some of your interests and what you think you'll get from changing your major. They can help you separate the facts from the fiction.

You (your parents) are paying a lot of money for your degree. Take advantage of the career services and academic advisors. Don't be one of those people who's afraid to meet with advisors in person and just floats along, hoping that things will work out. Math and Statistics are pretty good resume-builders though.

Last edited:

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not real maths though, it's all fairly simple. Not like I would learn doing real maths courses, I could probably do most of it now. All those degrees are pretty much all aimed for the same career, I don't think there are people at my uni doing quantitative degrees who are not trying to get into finance. I don't know what its like in the states, but changing degree here is really simple. Pretty much everyone does the same first year so I literally just book an appointment with the head of the department and it takes maybe 20 minutes if they're willing to take me.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not real maths though, it's all fairly simple. Not like I would learn doing real maths courses, I could probably do most of it now. All those degrees are pretty much all aimed for the same career, I don't think there are people at my uni doing quantitative degrees who are not trying to get into finance. I don't know what its like in the states, but changing degree here is really simple. Pretty much everyone does the same first year so I literally just book an appointment with the head of the department and it takes maybe 20 minutes if they're willing to take me.

Economics math is mainly basic calculus and statistics; it's the analysis, forecasting and decision-making that's important.

Changing majors is easy in the U.S too. What I meant is that it can have a serious impact on your life and your career. What you choose to study can determine whether or not you get the jobs that you want, so you shouldn't just make a decision on a whim. If you're interested in Finance, then statistics and economics or finance may be good options, but there are a lot of jobs in Finance. I'd talk to someone in the Career Center to narrow down the types of jobs that you want and to figure out what classes are going to help you reach your goals. The actual major is a lot less important than the skills that you develop.

Last edited:

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sounds like you've already decided on the switch. If you're looking to be a quant on the square mile, then I'd also say you're not ******* up your prospects. As I understand it, most mathematicians in IB have PhDs anyways..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads