• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Changing Careers

The Snob

Reaction score
So I'm 25, class of 2005, and had previously worked in banking since graduating through the end of 2007 (at which time I took a year+ off to travel). Now as I'm reentering the workforce (bad timing!), I'm finding it pretty much impossible to get a foot in the door in non-finance industries. For instance, I really would like to go into digital advertising and shooting off applications into the blackhole that is HR is getting me NO WHERE! My only glimmer of hope is with a Publicis Groupe firm I was offered a job to two years ago but couldn't take b/c of timing issues... and that glimmer, well folks, it's dim.

So I finally sucked it up and contacted folks in my old network for jobs. This means back to banking (u.g.h.). As most of the large shops are hemorrhaging, it's no surprise that at the current time, I'm looking at a very likely position as an associate at a boutique shop.

Now my question is... if I do end up getting the job (obviously I will take it; this is no time to be choosy), am I pretty much pigeonholing myself into "finance" and can pretty much kiss my dreams of being a hotshot in the glamourous world of media GOODBYE?!!! I imagine if I do get this associate job, it will mean bschool in 2 years... but coming out of bschool, i don't see anyone getting jobs as VPs at HBO--not unless they already have relevant media experience. I really don't want to be 30, with an MBA, an assload of debt, and an entry level (or near entry-level) account manager or something.

Do any of you guys have experience in switching careers? Like careers that are pretty much totally unrelated?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i switched from comic book artist to advertising, but process was remarkably similar so no biggie i guess.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Snob
So I'm 25, class of 2005, and had previously worked in banking since graduating through the end of 2007 (at which time I took a year+ off to travel). Now as I'm reentering the workforce (bad timing!), I'm finding it pretty much impossible to get a foot in the door in non-finance industries. For instance, I really would like to go into digital advertising and shooting off applications into the blackhole that is HR is getting me NO WHERE! My only glimmer of hope is with a Publicis Groupe firm I was offered a job to two years ago but couldn't take b/c of timing issues... and that glimmer, well folks, it's dim.

So I finally sucked it up and contacted folks in my old network for jobs. This means back to banking (u.g.h.). As most of the large shops are hemorrhaging, it's no surprise that at the current time, I'm looking at a very likely position as an associate at a boutique shop.

Now my question is... if I do end up getting the job (obviously I will take it; this is no time to be choosy), am I pretty much pigeonholing myself into "finance" and can pretty much kiss my dreams of being a hotshot in the glamourous world of media GOODBYE?!!! I imagine if I do get this associate job, it will mean bschool in 2 years... but coming out of bschool, i don't see anyone getting jobs as VPs at HBO--not unless they already have relevant media experience. I really don't want to be 30, with an MBA, an assload of debt, and an entry level (or near entry-level) account manager or something.

Do any of you guys have experience in switching careers? Like careers that are pretty much totally unrelated?

Why dont you find a boutique with a focus on media (assuming anything of the type is hiring), which will give you a solid exit into media when the time comes?

K

The Snob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
i switched from comic book artist to advertising, but process was remarkably similar so no biggie i guess.

How old were you and when you switched, were you placed back in an entry-level position thus needing to work your way back up again?

Also, comic book artist sounds majorly cool :p hehe

The Snob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
Why dont you find a boutique with a focus on media (assuming anything of the type is hiring), which will give you a solid exit into media when the time comes?

K

Well that would be ideal, but sadly that is not where my network lies. The job I am interviewing for now is pretty much completely unrelated to media in any way, shape, or form. And as former bankers are a dime-a-dozen right now, the offers aren't really busting through the door. If I get the job, I will definitely have to take it so I can get on with my life and NOT be where I am right now (regressing back to high school living at home... lol).

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well that would be ideal, but sadly that is not where my network lies. The job I am interviewing for now is pretty much completely unrelated to media in any way, shape, or form. And as former bankers are a dime-a-dozen right now, the offers aren't really busting through the door. If I get the job, I will definitely have to take it so I can get on with my life and NOT be where I am right now (regressing back to high school living at home... lol).

Fair enough. Further, its not an easy time for bankers or for media. Put the two together and its gotta be hard.

What about taking this gig for a year or so, leverage it to get into a top B-school, come out when the market is back up, and use it as an appropriate time to shift to media?

K

The Snob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
Fair enough. Further, its not an easy time for bankers or for media. Put the two together and its gotta be hard. What about taking this gig for a year or so, leverage it to get into a top B-school, come out when the market is back up, and use it as an appropriate time to shift to media? K
Yes, that's pretty much what I'm thinking. I guess my question wrt that is... coming out of bschool with no relevant media experience, would I be looking at some really crappy, low paying position? I don't mind the pay in theory and even now am willing to take a significant paycut to get to where I ultimately want to be--but I probably will mind it when I have 100k in debt coming out of bschool.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, that's pretty much what I'm thinking. I guess my question wrt that is... coming out of bschool with no relevant media experience, would I be looking at some really crappy, low paying position?

I don't mind the pay in theory and even now am willing to take a significant paycut to get to where I ultimately want to be--but I probably will mind it when I have 100k in debt coming out of bschool.

There is no clear answer for this. People that are driven, network well, and are able to identify and sell their transferrable skills can probably make such moves without pay / level cut. Others may need to take a temporary step back.

Media is a tough industry. Money is good in some places / roles, but a lot of people in the industry are living hand to mouth and subsist off of free wine and canapes. I dont know where you are, but London media is a brutal place to be at the best of times.

K

fashioncareer

Reaction score
I believe switching careers can be exhausting but with the correct research, drive, and positive attitude anything can be attained especially coming from a high stress career like finance. I offer tips if your looking to branch off into a fashion career on my blog.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads