• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Changed Sizes, What to do with old clothes?

Keon

Reaction score
I lost weight, not to mention I used to wear most of my casual clothes baggy unfortunately. So right now I'm pretty much a medium, whereas most of my clothes are large and even XL. I can still wear some of it, but others are just too big.

I haven't gotten rid of much of it in case I regain weight. Many people think I'm too skinny now and I think I need to START working out.

Anyway, should I get rid of the clothing that doesn't fit me? Most of it was from mall stores and Macy's. Not bad but nothing really expensive either. Should I wait until spring time to try things on, and if they don't fit get rid of them? What do you guys suggest? I have a problem with not wanting to throw perfectly good things out.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i'd give it a bit to see if you maintain the weight loss.

hamish5178

Reaction score
If you've got room keep them (unless you think throwing them out will motivate you to keep the weight off).

I tossed out several pairs of pants that were too small for me about 2 months ago, I regret that now since they'd easily fit me now.

indy116

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
i'd give it a bit to see if you maintain the weight loss.

That, and then off to the Goodwill store. I donated all my larger pants last week to force me to keep the weight off. It had been a few months since I'd last worn any of them..

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Get a nice cardboard box and packing tape, put all the decent clothes in the box, seal it tight and write FAT CLOTHES across the top with a big marker. It's oddly satisfying. I have two of those boxes (seasonal, of course).

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's nice stuff in good condition people here would want, sell it on the forum.

wiscogooner

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eshu
I suggest you donate them to the poor. You can purchase again, if you loose your control and become bulky.

Originally Posted by JoeWoah
If it's nice stuff in good condition people here would want, sell it on the forum.

Or sell them here and donate the money. Probably do a bit better than just donating them, depending on how much they're worth.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
yes i agree keep them to see if you maintain. if you rollercoaster like me, it is best to keep to sets of clothing.
for me it is:
a wardrobe of petite clothing, and another of bulky boxy XL
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics