• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chan v. Mina

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Chan: issues with shoulder lines not being clean (slight bumps and irregularities), and back of trousers still not as clean as I'd like + stylistic changes (a little more shoulder width and lapel width)

NSM: buttoning point too high, too tight at waist (pulling), quarters a tad too open + stylistic changes (take gorge a little lower and lapels a little less wide). I'm not 100% sure about the stylistic changes because I don't want to mess with the house style too much.

The bolded are issues I have as well but I don't mind. Actually I only noticed most of these after gdl brought them up and I checked to see if I had them too.
laugh.gif

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poorsod
The bolded are issues I have as well but I don't mind. Actually I only noticed most of these after gdl brought them up and I checked to see if I had them too.
laugh.gif

Are you now also obsessed with them?

I'm also wondering if there's ever a point where everything is perfect, and there isn't anything that comes next to improve. I think I know the answer to that.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you now also obsessed with them?

I'm also wondering if there's ever a point where everything is perfect, and there isn't anything that comes next to improve. I think I know the answer to that.

I don't think there is primarily because as soon as what we hoped would be perfect is we can always find something else to nitpick if we try. I've been doing my best to just let things be the way they are and have their own character.

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, what do you think?
eh.gif
She's running a business, not a charity

I figured she charged a premium, but I wanted to know if it is a large increase or if her fabric prices are reasonable.

-LR

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all for their contributions - this is a great thread.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ljrcustom
I figured she charged a premium, but I wanted to know if it is a large increase or if her fabric prices are reasonable.

-LR

To put things in perspective. Tip top is about $50/yard for wool and $100+/yard for cashmere (and these are discounted end bolts). Loro Piana sale at Soiffer and Haskin had suit length wool for about $1000 which was already 50% off. The cashmere vicuña blend stuff was $4000 for a suit length, again at about 50% off.

So I'd say NSM prices are fair.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you now also obsessed with them? I'm also wondering if there's ever a point where everything is perfect, and there isn't anything that comes next to improve. I think I know the answer to that.
I try to get rid of stuff that I no longer use and now have few RTW coats. So time will tell if these issues bother me enough for me to replace them. Once you have everything perfect, you can always move on to more "advanced" details such as the 1 piece back.
teacha.gif
http://tuttofattoamano.blogspot.com/search/label/backs

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chan: issues with shoulder lines not being clean (slight bumps and irregularities), and back of trousers still not as clean as I'd like + stylistic changes (a little more shoulder width and lapel width)

NSM: buttoning point too high, too tight at waist (pulling), quarters a tad too open + stylistic changes (take gorge a little lower and lapels a little less wide). I'm not 100% sure about the stylistic changes because I don't want to mess with the house style too much.

I actually had the same concern and went to see Patrick two weeks ago.

He told me that they generally default to a slightly longer back for the trousers because they've had too many complaints where customers ask for a clean back & find it too tight for their tastes.

He told me that if I really wanted it, he could completely straighten the back of the trousers.

On my way out, I notced his older, longer w/ WW Chan, two helpers both had slightly less than clean trousers but the new helper had very clean trousers.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well we're at the 6th or 7th iteration at this stage with multiple re-dos, so I don't think it's quite that simple for him to get it right.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well we're at the 6th or 7th iteration at this stage with multiple re-dos, so I don't think it's quite that simple for him to get it right.

uhoh.gif
unfortunate to hear

Anything unusual with your legs in particular?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to think they're in the range of the normal.

HEPennypacker

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far, especially poorsod, TC, and gdl (and edmorel and medtech for their excellent threads). I've spent the weekend looking through the old NSM threads again, and I'm pretty certain I want to try Mina next, as the Neapolitan style is something missing from my closet. This decision was probably sealed when I showed a neutral third party--my wife--gdl's comparison thread linked above and she instantly said she liked the one on the right better
laugh.gif
. Admittedly, I am still on the fence and see the merits of both, so I might still might commission a Chan later in the year...

TC11201

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEPennypacker
Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far, especially poorsod, TC, and gdl (and edmorel and medtech for their excellent threads). I've spent the weekend looking through the old NSM threads again, and I'm pretty certain I want to try Mina next, as the Neapolitan style is something missing from my closet. This decision was probably sealed when I showed a neutral third party--my wife--gdl's comparison thread linked above and she instantly said she liked the one on the right better
laugh.gif
. Admittedly, I am still on the fence and see the merits of both, so I might still might commission a Chan later in the year...

Good luck with it. Mina is very pleasant to work with and she definitely will do her best to ensure that you're happy with the end product. Let us know how you fare.

emptym

Reaction score
I tagged along w/ Binge to his appt. w/ Mina and Dino a few days ago. It was a real pleasure to meet them. They're so warm, knowledgeable, patient, humble, and passionate. I wore my Chan breanish, which they complimented a few times and asked to examine. I asked them what they would change about it. They thought the fit and styling were really excellent, but to adapt it to their style a little, they'd extend the shoulders a bit, tighten the skirt a little and make the quarters a little more open. In terms of construction, they would want it completely unlined or not stitch the lining in at the bottom, in order to allow a person who was ironing it to flip the lining up. They said that on thin fabrics, this was particularly helpful to prevent lines/marks from the lining from showing through after an ironing. Also interesting was that they said they preshrink everything so their coats and pants could be washed in cold water. They thought that to get the jacket back in shape, however, one would we need to be an expert ironer.

I was sorely, sorely tempted to get something, but it was just out of my price range for now. I may go to Italy this summer and the promise of fittings may put me over. If they were local, I wouldn't have hesitated. Binge and pocketsquareguy, what did you get? Parker, we appreciated seeing your suit and coats.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
I tagged along w/ Binge to his appt. w/ Mina and Dino a few days ago. It was a real pleasure to meet them. They're so warm, knowledgeable, patient, humble, and passionate....

I was sorely, sorely tempted to get something, but it was just out of my price range for now. I may go to Italy this summer and the promise of fittings may put me over.

Glad to hear that you were able to meet up. Sounds like you're now in a holding pattern, postponing the inevitable...
biggrin.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads