1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Chan v. Mina

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HEPennypacker, Jan 15, 2011.

1. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I'd like to think they're in the range of the normal.

2. HEPennypacker

HEPennypacker Senior member

Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far, especially poorsod, TC, and gdl (and edmorel and medtech for their excellent threads). I've spent the weekend looking through the old NSM threads again, and I'm pretty certain I want to try Mina next, as the Neapolitan style is something missing from my closet. This decision was probably sealed when I showed a neutral third party--my wife--gdl's comparison thread linked above and she instantly said she liked the one on the right better [​IMG] . Admittedly, I am still on the fence and see the merits of both, so I might still might commission a Chan later in the year...

3. TC11201

TC11201 Senior member

Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far, especially poorsod, TC, and gdl (and edmorel and medtech for their excellent threads). I've spent the weekend looking through the old NSM threads again, and I'm pretty certain I want to try Mina next, as the Neapolitan style is something missing from my closet. This decision was probably sealed when I showed a neutral third party--my wife--gdl's comparison thread linked above and she instantly said she liked the one on the right better [​IMG] . Admittedly, I am still on the fence and see the merits of both, so I might still might commission a Chan later in the year...

Good luck with it. Mina is very pleasant to work with and she definitely will do her best to ensure that you're happy with the end product. Let us know how you fare.

4. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

I tagged along w/ Binge to his appt. w/ Mina and Dino a few days ago. It was a real pleasure to meet them. They're so warm, knowledgeable, patient, humble, and passionate. I wore my Chan breanish, which they complimented a few times and asked to examine. I asked them what they would change about it. They thought the fit and styling were really excellent, but to adapt it to their style a little, they'd extend the shoulders a bit, tighten the skirt a little and make the quarters a little more open. In terms of construction, they would want it completely unlined or not stitch the lining in at the bottom, in order to allow a person who was ironing it to flip the lining up. They said that on thin fabrics, this was particularly helpful to prevent lines/marks from the lining from showing through after an ironing. Also interesting was that they said they preshrink everything so their coats and pants could be washed in cold water. They thought that to get the jacket back in shape, however, one would we need to be an expert ironer.

I was sorely, sorely tempted to get something, but it was just out of my price range for now. I may go to Italy this summer and the promise of fittings may put me over. If they were local, I wouldn't have hesitated. Binge and pocketsquareguy, what did you get? Parker, we appreciated seeing your suit and coats.

5. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Senior member

I tagged along w/ Binge to his appt. w/ Mina and Dino a few days ago. It was a real pleasure to meet them. They're so warm, knowledgeable, patient, humble, and passionate....

I was sorely, sorely tempted to get something, but it was just out of my price range for now. I may go to Italy this summer and the promise of fittings may put me over.

Glad to hear that you were able to meet up. Sounds like you're now in a holding pattern, postponing the inevitable... [​IMG]

6. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I had my very first meeting with Mina and Dino on Saturday. What nice, friendly people.

After reading this and other threads I was concerned that Mina might push me into a jacket that was too short and with too high a button stance. I wore my best fitting Borrelli Jacket (Sorento model). I ordered a lightweight wool/cashmere blend herringbone in navy for a jacket with patch pockets and horn buttons.

To my delight, Mina and I were in complete sync. She suggested a slightly lower button stance and keeping my jacket length the same or maybe a centimeter longer. She did want to trim the sleeve a bit in the upper arm, which should be ideal.

I am looking forward to seeing them again in two months for my first fitting.

BTW, the room was decorated with Parker's clothing. I think he should get an endorsement deal.

7. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Senior member

I ordered a lightweight wool/cashmere blend herringbone in navy for a jacket with patch pockets and horn buttons.

Did you end up pulling the trigger on peak lapels?

8. niidawg3

niidawg3 Senior member

BTW, the room was decorated with Parker's clothing. I think he should get an endorsement deal.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. GusW

^^^I think grey houndstooth suits with patch pockets will soon be called the "Parker" model. [​IMG]

10. GusW

Did you end up pulling the trigger on peak lapels?

No. I needed a standard navy jacket first. Will do the peak for a patterned jacket similar to my avatar.

11. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

No. I needed a standard navy jacket first. Will do the peak for a patterned jacket similar to my avatar.

Please post pics when completed.

12. GusW

Please post pics when completed.

Will do.

13. kcc

kcc Senior member

^ Hope you resisted the temptation of ordering the notch on the trapezius? [​IMG]

14. Michael Ay329

Michael Ay329 Senior member

[​IMG] unfortunate to hear

Anything unusual with your legs in particular?

Just look at GDL's avatar...he's got frog legs...no tailor can cure this [​IMG]

15. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Just look at GDL's avatar...he's got frog legs...no tailor can cure this [​IMG]

I need something that can flex up and down comfortably. pyon pyon !