Chan v. Mina

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HEPennypacker, Jan 15, 2011.

1. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Some pictures and discussion here http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=213230 Of course, that's only two examples and I don't think one can extrapolate generalities from only these. As far as I'm concerned, i still haven't really reached a conclusion. I like both but there are some very small issues that I can't seem to fully fix with Chan. There are definitely issues with the NSM coat too but I haven't ordered #2 yet so I can't comment on her ability to make changes and fix them to my satisfaction. Also, I'm scared of ordering a suit from NSM because I'm far from a stick figure and her trousers are just an inch looser than leggings.

2. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

^I preferred the jacket on the right in your thread. Nice new Chan donegal btw. I can't imagine my looking any better in Mina than in Chan [​IMG] but I do want to meet Mina and see her stuff. And these posts have been helpful guys, thanks.

3. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Senior member

Also, I'm scared of ordering a suit from NSM because I'm far from a stick figure and her trousers are just an inch looser than leggings.

[​IMG]

Fabric deets on the NSM please...

4. gdl203

Dormeuil Scottie Derby

5. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Senior member

Chapeau... lovely fabric.

6. sellahi22

sellahi22 Senior member

I'm thinking about trying a jacket from mina/NSM. does anyone know whether she carries Lesser or Smith fabrics, and if so, how much she charges?

Also are there any sources for suiting fabrics besides Andrew Rogers for Harrisons (which is a very good source indeed)?

7. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

I'm thinking about trying a jacket from mina/NSM. does anyone know whether she carries Lesser or Smith fabrics, and if so, how much she charges?

Also are there any sources for suiting fabrics besides Andrew Rogers for Harrisons (which is a very good source indeed)?

As far as I know, if you want Lesser or Smith for NSM, you have to source it yourself.

8. sellahi22

sellahi22 Senior member

As far as I know, if you want Lesser or Smith for NSM, you have to source it yourself.

I believe Lesser/Smith only sell to tailors

9. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I believe Lesser/Smith only sell to tailors

No, you can source directly from Smith. Mina only carries H&S, Dormeuil, Loro Piana and and Italian brand that escapes my memory. If you want Lesser/Smith for something particular ( like me with the Solaro) I understand but if you just want some typical navy/grey suiting, you are not missing anything by going with what she has instead of those guys.

10. forex

forex Senior member

Some pictures and discussion here http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=213230

Of course, that's only two examples and I don't think one can extrapolate generalities from only these. As far as I'm concerned, i still haven't really reached a conclusion. I like both but there are some very small issues that I can't seem to fully fix with Chan. There are definitely issues with the NSM coat too but I haven't ordered #2 yet so I can't comment on her ability to make changes and fix them to my satisfaction.

Also, I'm scared of ordering a suit from NSM because I'm far from a stick figure and her trousers are just an inch looser than leggings.

Can you comment on what you wanted to fix with Chan and couldn't fully achieve it and tell us what you want to change with NSM?

11. ljrcustom

ljrcustom Senior member

No, you can source directly from Smith. Mina only carries H&S, Dormeuil, Loro Piana and and Italian brand that escapes my memory. If you want Lesser/Smith for something particular ( like me with the Solaro) I understand but if you just want some typical navy/grey suiting, you are not missing anything by going with what she has instead of those guys.

Is there an up charge on the fabric prices of the selection that mina brings with her?

-LR

12. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Is there an up charge on the fabric prices of the selection that mina brings with her?

-LR

From CMT? Sure. Cloth will be 200-400 euro on top.

13. gdl203

Can you comment on what you wanted to fix with Chan and couldn't fully achieve it and tell us what you want to change with NSM?

Chan: issues with shoulder lines not being clean (slight bumps and irregularities), and back of trousers still not as clean as I'd like + stylistic changes (a little more shoulder width and lapel width)

NSM: buttoning point too high, too tight at waist (pulling), quarters a tad too open + stylistic changes (take gorge a little lower and lapels a little less wide). I'm not 100% sure about the stylistic changes because I don't want to mess with the house style too much.

14. ljrcustom

ljrcustom Senior member

From CMT? Sure. Cloth will be 200-400 euro on top.

I meant are Mina's prices on fabric more than if I were to find the same fabric from a fabric dealer and then bring it to mina for her use. Does she charge her cost or is, there up charge so she make some money, due to the fact that she is providing the fabric?

-LR

15. gdl203

I meant are Mina's prices on fabric more than if I were to find the same fabric from a fabric dealer and then bring it to mina for her use. Does she charge her cost or is, there up charge so she make some money, due to the fact that she is providing the fabric?

-LR

Well, what do you think? [​IMG] She's running a business, not a charity