• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chan suit fabric recommendations

Jsoftz

Reaction score
I just had my appointment with Patrick and Arnold of WW Chan in Chicago today. I'm looking at getting my third and fourth pieces from them, respectively and I'm looking at mid weight worsted charcoal suit and a more casual light grey summer weight suit. After doing some research here, I wanted to get them made in Lesser's tropical and the 10oz books but discovered that they only currently have the gold lumb book which is decidedly out of my price range. I already have some stuff in Minnis Fresco and H&S Crispaire and love them but would like something slightly smoother and frankly just want to try something different.

Patrick guided me to some selections from Dugdale (8960 New Fine Worsted for the light grey and 8868 from Super 120s), and I was impressed with how competitive the price was. I did some research here and it seems to be well regarded cloth but a clear notch below the Lesser line which is so heavily lauded on SF.

For the worsted charcoal, they also pointed me towards the Scabal but it was significantly more expensive even with a 2 trousers for the price of one.

Anyhow, knowing that Lesser's is not an option and that I'd like to try something different from Fresco, what would y'all recommend that might be more on par with Lesser's?

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are set on Lesser and you know the colors you want, why don't you ask Patrick to send you pictures of the swatches once the get back to HK? Alternatively, you can ask Harrison's for the swatches if you want to see them in IRL. WW Chan doesn't bring all the books on tour but can get the fabrics for you nonetheless.

Jsoftz

Reaction score
I asked him this and he said that it isn't even on their price list anymore - so not available.

I'm open to other choices including the Dugdale they recommended, Lesser was just a known-known for me so I gravitated there first.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too bad. You might get more responses from the unfunded liabilities thread.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads