• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chan Problem: Need Your Help

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
Why, however, do you suppose a second set of corrections wouldn't satisfy my expectations? Do I come off as difficult to please? I'm trying to come to an amicable resolution with our friends in Kowloon, and at this point I'm more miffed than outright angry.
Not to say anything about your expectations per se, but somewhat agreeing with Vox that despite having had a fitting to specifically fix the issue, and it not being fixed, I find it doubtful that Chan will be entirely successful even on the second attempt. I'm sure it can be pretty close, but, you might notice something else that should be corrected. I'm also speaking out of experience. For example, I had Chan adjust the shoulders at the sleevehead on a finished garment. While the shoulders were fixed it, the alterations created ripling/bubbling across the top seam along the top of my shoulders/traps (more on one side than the other) for whatever reason. I sent it back and they fixed it for the most part. It wasn't perfect (or returned looking like it did initially), and it looked as if the fabric itself became worn due to all the handling and alterations. All in all, I was glad they corrected it. I'm anticipating similar results for you. Perhaps you will be perfectly satisfied with such an outcome, but you have expectations for an 11th commission. What I described was for my first.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sorry I haven't read all the posts. Except for the few odd folds ... the fit is otherwise acceptable. Still, I do understand your concern.

Have you worn the suit a time or two at this point? I find that some minor problems work themselves out as new clothing is worn. After all, wearing the suit puts different forces to work ... tugs on the cloth ... puts the seams to work ... etc. EDIT: I only began doing this because one of my former tailors used to demand that I wear clothing before returning for adjustments. One of my current two tailors recommends similarly.

When I had lunch with Manton a while back ... I was wearing a recently delivered coat from Anderson & Sheppard. It had ripple near one sleevehead. As Manton noted it was a quick fix ... something that wouldn't affect the fit otherwise. Well, I wore the coat several more times ... and the problem disappeared without the need of Anderson & Sheppard's attention. When next John Hitchcock saw me in that particular coat ... his first words were ... "Now that's perfect." Indeed it was as far as I was concerned.

I'm not sure that will happen with the back of your coat, sleevehead and trousers ... the ripples of cloth are a bit more pronounced ... but it might be worth a try if you haven't done this already. It could reslove some degree of the issue ... if not all.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
VG, I think one thing you'll have to consider is whether this incident has sharpened your eyes too much, such that you'll always see the flaws in future Chans. If that's the case, I'd find another tailor, not so much to strike at Chan as to save additional grief and hassle.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
VG, I think one thing you'll have to consider is whether this incident has sharpened your eyes too much, such that you'll always see the flaws in future Chans. If that's the case, I'd find another tailor, not so much to strike at Chan as to save additional grief and hassle.

That may very well be the case.Perhaps another tailor can do a better job,on the other hand any tailor might have made a mistake without any fittings.You can not expect to have a good garment based on your previous fittings or patterns.
Having said that,I hate these nit-picking threads,it makes me such a snob that I can not find any RTW garment that I like so it is either custom or dont buy anything for me.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
Having said that,I hate these nit-picking threads,it makes me such a snob that I can not find any RTW garment that I like so it is either custom or dont buy anything for me.

That's been a issue for me as well- you see what is,, for all intent, "perfect/near perfect that it make sthe world of OTR M-L-XL unacceptable.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday

It's possible, Doc, but I still think my dissatisfaction with this particular garment is well within bounds. I'm going to see what Chan says, and proceed from there.

As for another tailor, I may give Nick Lopez in Houston another chance this fall.

Mr T

Reaction score
Can you wait a few months? I believe Chan will visit Houston in the fall.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr T
Can you wait a few months? I believe Chan will visit Houston in the fall.

I'll probably have to do that to address these issues, but I won't commission another jacket from Chan at least until this one is made right.

Mr T

Reaction score
That's understandable. I think marking the suit in person will finally allow them to fix it correctly.

If you end up giving Mr. Lopez another commission instead of Chan please post photos if you can. The photos of the previous commission were appreciated (I believe the photographer was Ms. Vintage Princess). As you can imagine, many of us like seeing the artisans in their workshops.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's possible, Doc, but I still think my dissatisfaction with this particular garment is well within bounds. I'm going to see what Chan says, and proceed from there. As for another tailor, I may give Nick Lopez in Houston another chance this fall.
I don't mean to imply that it's not, VG. I just know that when I reach a certain point of exasperation, my tolerance for future mistakes goes way, way down. Suddenly even the little things that might not have bothered me start to niggle. At a certain point, it becomes a hassle, and that's no good for either party.

Flamboyant

Reaction score
The suit has come back, and while there are some improvements, it is still not right. Some rippling on the back, particularly on the left side, and the trousers do not have a clean line. Thoughts?

The casual observer will not see the minor issues with fit. They will see a resemblence to this
dr-evil.jpg

Lower the gorge, get a 2 button, and get some color - you need it.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flamboyant
The casual observer will not see the minor issues with fit. They will see a resemblence to this
dr-evil.jpg

Thanks for the advice, troll. As for getting more color, I've already had one bout with skin cancer, so I think I'll pass on your helpful words.

I suppose that there are some around here who will never pass up the opportunity for an insult; the thrill of pissing in someone else's thread is just too appealing.

As for the topic at hand, I've heard back from Chan, and they've suggested that the particulars of this fabric (mohair/wool) may be causing the "rippling" on the back. This may be true. I'm going to wear the suit for the next few months and see how things settle. If the problems endure, I'll address them during the November tour.

instep

Reaction score
VG, all the best. Wear it in good health. And remember to use sunscreen.
smile.gif

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flamboyant

I would agree with lowering the gorge (although that could be the angle from which the photo was taken).
The number of buttons is personal preference.
Your last comment is, quite simply, pathetic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads