• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Chan NYC Trip, First-Timer

OTR

New Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hi all

Long time lurker here, making my first post. I've tried to get in touch with WW Chan to see if there are any spots open during their upcoming NYC trip. I recall some posts a while back about their email being broken - has there been any follow up with this? I sent something a few days back, but wasn't sure if they'd be all booked up by now.

I'm planning to get a new suit made by them - I'm a law student, and need something for interviews, and while I'd planned to get something OTR, despite my hatred of 'bag suits' but when I saw the prices I realized I could just as easily get the suit that I really wanted instead. There was a post a while back advising law students not to wear custom suits for interviews, but I'm thinking that if I get something fairly conservative and don't mention it, the chances of the interviewer noticing are minimal. The commenter on that post was an older nyc lawyer, so I'd love to hear his thoughts on it.

At any rate - has anyone had any interaction with Chan lately, good or bad?
 

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2005
Messages
4,203
Reaction score
840
Originally Posted by OTR
Hi all

I recall some posts a while back about their email being broken - has there been any follow up with this? I sent something a few days back, but wasn't sure if they'd be all booked up by now.


It usually takes them a few days (or more that a few) to get back to you. If you don't hear from them, you can always call the Hilton when Patrick is around and speak to him to see when he can fit you in.
 

OTR

New Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
Um, try a search. I regularly post pictures of my Chan suits and jackets on here, the most recent being just a few weeks ago.

Thanks vintagegent, and I've enjoyed many of your pictures. I was more wondering if anyone had recently been in touch with them.
 

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2005
Messages
1,173
Reaction score
107
Originally Posted by OTR
There was a post a while back advising law students not to wear custom suits for interviews, but I'm thinking that if I get something fairly conservative and don't mention it, the chances of the interviewer noticing are minimal.

I'd say you are correct that very few interviewers would notice, but I would advise you to avoid certain things if you are in the US. In the US, ticket pockets, slanted pocket flaps (like the British wear), and working cuffs (also called surgeon cuffs) left unbuttoned are generally signs of custom (or very expensive) suits that an interviewer might very well notice. I would also not wear cufflinks, a pocket square or handkerchief, or a tie clip or pin to a law firm interview. And don't wear loafers.

Just my suggestions. Other than that, I think a plain color (recommended) or conservative pattern custom suit would be fine, although make sure you leave enough time to get it made. Custom suits can take a while.
 

OTR

New Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Thanks for the advice, very helpful. Do you think that it's ok to get working cuffs as long as I don't leave one open or in any way make it obvious that's what they are? Thanks also for the help on cufflinks - I'll need to be careful of that.


Originally Posted by knittieguy
I'd say you are correct that very few interviewers would notice, but I would advise you to avoid certain things if you are in the US. In the US, ticket pockets, slanted pocket flaps (like the British wear), and working cuffs (also called surgeon cuffs) left unbuttoned are generally signs of custom (or very expensive) suits that an interviewer might very well notice. I would also not wear cufflinks, a pocket square or handkerchief, or a tie clip or pin to a law firm interview. And don't wear loafers.

Just my suggestions. Other than that, I think a plain color (recommended) or conservative pattern custom suit would be fine, although make sure you leave enough time to get it made. Custom suits can take a while.
 

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2004
Messages
9,464
Reaction score
18
Originally Posted by OTR
Thanks for the advice, very helpful. Do you think that it's ok to get working cuffs as long as I don't leave one open or in any way make it obvious that's what they are? Thanks also for the help on cufflinks - I'll need to be careful of that.

Yes. Don't unbutton. Nobody in your interviews will notice. Good luck!
 

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2005
Messages
1,173
Reaction score
107
As the other poster noted, if you don't unbutton them, no one will notice. They might not notice anyway, but I wouldn't do it.

Some people disagree with me on the cufflinks, but I know others who feel that even associates shouldn't wear them. I think that's going a bit too far, although I wouldn't wear them in court or if I was meeting a client I didn't already know.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 144 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 278 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 132 15.7%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 71 8.4%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 49 5.8%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 25 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 22 2.6%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.0%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 8 1.0%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 9 1.1%
  • 100+

    Votes: 54 6.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
429,242
Messages
9,231,063
Members
193,770
Latest member
Alex2045
Top