1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Chan: dearth of swatches

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Vintage Gent, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Distinguished Member

A few weeks ago I started the process of ordering a blazer from Chan. Since, after three suits, the firm already has my measurements on file, I figured I'd be safe with ordering from swatches. I gave Mr. Wong my fabric specifications, and he promised to send them directly. Still, after two weeks, no swatches, so I e-mailed Mr. Wong back to check the status. His response? They are still waiting for their supplier to send them the swatches.

Is this sort of thing usual? I'd have thought a firm like Chan would have a surfeit of swatches to dispatch to customers ordering via e-mail.

2. whoopee

whoopee Distinguished Member

3. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Distinguished Member

You could always try sourcing the cloth yourself. You'd probably end up with better cloth and could be certain of the origin and quality.

4. whoopee

Yes, finding the cloth yourself is a good idea, especially because Chan cannot send swatches of some of the nicer fabrics.

5. thinman

thinman Distinguished Member

Interesting thread because I'm thinking of ordering a blazer from Chan during their July visit. Does Patrick bring a large selection of blazer fabrics with him? I've only looked through his suiting fabrics, and not too carefully, since I knew pretty much what I wanted.

6. Vintage Gent

You could always try sourcing the cloth yourself. You'd probably end up with better cloth and could be certain of the origin and quality.

Interesting idea. Since I live in a place with no access to good fabrics, how might I go about sourcing the cloth. Are there online sources one might consult to order some of the better British woolens? And how much would I need for a blazer: 2.5 yards, perhaps?

7. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Interesting idea. Since I live in a place with no access to good fabrics, how might I go about sourcing the cloth. Are there online sources one might consult to order some of the better British woolens? And how much would I need for a blazer: 2.5 yards, perhaps?

A bigger operation like H&S or Scabal might be willing to drop ship fabrics to Chan for you.

8. whoopee

Holland & Sherry have a mairl order service through their London agent. See their website for details.

2.5 yards should definitely be enough but best to email Chan and hear it from the cutter.

9. maxnharry

maxnharry Distinguished Member

Anyone know how much charges with fabric provided by the client? I would like my next commission to be made with something a little better than the Clayton I selected last time.

10. whoopee

I believe it is around $700 for a two piece suit.

11. JLibourel

JLibourel Distinguished Member

Getting back to the original question, though, isn't it in Chan's favor that they are making the extra effort to find you exactly the fabrics you want?

Given all that they have in inventory, they might have tried to fob something of that sort off on you instead of going the extra mile for you, as they seem to be doing.

12. Vintage Gent

Getting back to the original question, though, isn't it in Chan's favor that they are making the extra effort to find you exactly the fabrics you want?

Given all that they have in inventory, they might have tried to fob something of that sort off on you instead of going the extra mile for you, as they seem to be doing.

True enough, although what I asked for--a 10oz navy 2x2--wasn't anything out of the ordinary, and I'm a bit surprised it was something they didn't have in inventory. Still, I'm not ready to give up on them yet, but wouldn't mind exploring other sources for fabric in case things draw on.

13. kcgreg

kcgreg Senior Member

Holland & Sherry have a mairl order service through their London agent. See their website for details.

2.5 yards should definitely be enough but best to email Chan and hear it from the cutter.

Do you have their website at hand please?[​IMG] I didn't know you could just get fabrics sent on your behalf - is this true?[​IMG]

14. Vintage Gent

Do you have their website at hand please?[​IMG] I didn't know you could just get fabrics sent on your behalf - is this true?[​IMG]

I can't speak to the sending of fabrics, but here's the web site:

http://www.hollandandsherry.com/

15. whoopee