Champions League '09

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by romafan, Sep 15, 2009.

1. fairholme_wannabe

fairholme_wannabe Senior member

LOL @ Man U

Moreover, LOL @ EPL dominance....0 teams in the semi-finals.

As compared to last year when it had 3? How many La Liga teams have made the semi-finals in the past 5 years (including this year)?

05/06--Arsenal, Villareal, Barca, A.C. Milan (With Barca & Arsenal Final [​IMG] )
    06/07--A.C. Milan, Man Utd., Pool, and Chelsea (With Milan & Pool Final)
    07/08--Barca, Pool, Man. Utd., and Chelsea (With Man Utd & Chelsea Final)
    08/09--Barca, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man. Utd (With Barca & Man. Utd Final)

So, since 05/06 Champions League:
    La Liga has had 4 semi-finalists (with 2 finalists, and 2 [presumably 3] winners)
    EPL has had 10 semi-finalists (5 finalists, 1 winner)

2. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

^^^

Meh. Stats always work when you pick an arbitrary year to go from. Why 05/06? Why not 00/01? Why not all-time?

Either way, I won't argue that the EPL has done very well in the CL the last few years.......

Just not this year! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Josef Seibel

Josef Seibel Senior member

ROBBEN = FUSSBALL-GOTT !! ManU, Bye und auf Wiedersehen [​IMG]

4. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

So it's Bayern/Lyon vs. Inter/Barcelona?

5. chobochobo

chobochobo Rubber Chicken Dubiously Honored Moderator

Looks like it.

Shame about the ManU match, they nearly did it. I'm half glad that my alarm to wake me up at 2.45am didn't go off.

6. ArteEtLabore14

ArteEtLabore14 Senior member

It's good to see four different countries represented in the Champs League, one of the few times when it really looks like a European competition, and not just a couple participating countries.

7. ANIKETOS

ANIKETOS Senior member

Depends what kind of football you're looking for. It's not as silky or reliant on individual skill as La Liga, but I think top to bottom the EPL is the best league in the world. And because of it's fast pace and emphasis on interplay between all team members, I think it is (on average) also the most entertaining league in the world.

This is the reason u should watch other leagues.You are totally brainwashed by EPL

8. ANIKETOS

ANIKETOS Senior member

I think SAF messed this one up big time.I mean starting an injured Rooney.Going 3-0 up and not able to come through...Doesnt sound like SAF who is usually on top of these things.Not to mention the Bayern defence was shivering in the first half

9. chobochobo

Those photos are quite old aren't they?

10. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

I don't think its really fair to mention Van Persie, as he is perpetually unfit(not just this campaign, either). I was specifically referring to individuals who played in the first leg that didn't make the second due to injury (though Cesc would have missed due to accumulation).

I hear what you're saying; would just be nice to have him on for a full season.

11. fairholme_wannabe

fairholme_wannabe Senior member

I hear what you're saying; would just be nice to have him on for a full season.

Not sure it will happen though. I really wish we could have snagged Benzema somehow. Oh well--I'm not too worried. Financially, the club is run well. We are healthily profitable and not overleveraged--we'll have an opportunity to add some great talent going forward.

12. ANIKETOS

ANIKETOS Senior member

Those photos are quite old aren't they?

All these photos are during SAF era..Tbh i didnt like that remark at all.[​IMG]

Ribery isnt German(even if he was the comment was stupid),and he has a right to do that as Rafael made a similar stupid mistake in the first half after receiving his first yellow and the ref let it go..

13. Infrasonic

Infrasonic Senior member

14. chobochobo

All these photos are during SAF era..Tbh i didnt like that remark at all.[​IMG]

Ribery isnt German(even if he was the comment was stupid),and he has a right to do that as Rafael made a similar stupid mistake in the first half after receiving his first yellow and the ref let it go..

The Ferguson 'era' is quite long though, it's been a while since the Keane brigade did that sort of thing - which is not good to see at all. Granted, SAF doesn't really have much to moan about, though it was a bit of a soft yellow to give, particularly since it led to a red. All in all, though the ending was not good, I quite enjoyed how the team performed in the first half and it was encouraging to see. Like many, I though that C Ron leaving would have a bigger effect. If we could just figure out how to get the best out of Berbatov, that'd be perfect.