• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Champions League '08 - '09

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
frown.gif

I left work knowing it had gone to penalties. Saw a dude in an a typical Arsey get-up (team hat, jersey, jacket & scarf) on the platform @ Canal Street looking very glum. Yessss, I thought to myself and cheered up immensely for the rest of the ride. Got out @ Astor and accosted a very red-faced asian guy wearing a Roma scarf and a huge grin. "What happened w/ penalties?!?" Still grinning, he took a drag from his smoke and shook his head "Don't even ask - you don't want to know!"
confused.gif

i miised the inter match, and when i got home i looked up the inter website. i was afraid to look, but as the site loaded the first thing i saw was a picture of a smiling face, and for a second, i thought we had won.
frown.gif

in more important news, guadalajara defeated caracas 1-0 in the copa libertadores and now lead their group with 7 points.
smile.gif

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quarterfinals (April 7th-8th, April 14th-15th, 2009)
1. Villarreal vs Arsenal
2. Manchester United vs Porto
3. Liverpool vs Chelsea
4. Barcelona vs Bayern

Semifinals (April 28th-29th, May 5th-6th, 2009)
5. Winner of Match 2 vs Winner of Match 1
6. Winner of Match 4 vs Winner of Match 3

Final (May 27th, 2009, Rome)
Winner of Match 6 vs Winner of Match 5​

Once a-*******-gain Man U has a clear shot to the final while Chelsea/Pool/Bayern/Barcelona have to play the best of the best.

Can't wait to watch the Bayern/Barca games.

Gherkins

Reaction score
No single team left I feel like rooting for. :-(

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm a Man U fan and even I'm surprised (and a little distraught) that we're given such an easy fixture. Where was this type of drawing-luck last year when France was in the Group of Death?

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All right, let's hear it. Predictions, hopes, thoughts?

Hopes: Porto, Villareal, 'Pool, Bayern

Prediction: ManU, Arse, 'Pool, Barca

I am strangely unexcited we enter the exciting stages....

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As long as Liverpool don't make it all the way, I'll be happy. Unfortunately, Riise isn't on their team to botch it up this time around.

Hmm....

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
As long as Liverpool don't make it all the way, I'll be happy. Unfortunately, Riise isn't on their team to botch it up this time around.

Hmm....

I'm quite looking forward to Barca knocking out Liverpool.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Riise finally hitting his stride @ Roma. OK, that may be going a little too far. He has finally had a couple of decent games of late, and socred a goal.

Anyway, Liverpool are hot now, plus they seem to have Chelsea's # in cup competitions. They will go through.....

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
Riise finally hitting his stride @ Roma. OK, that may be going a little too far. He has finally had a couple of decent games of late, and socred a goal. Anyway, Liverpool are hot now, plus they seem to have Chelsea's # in cup competitions. They will go through.....
I don't know why Spalletti wanted Riise in the first place. But God if I have to read one more report about Gerrard being the best player on the planet I'm going to puke.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa

Quarterfinals (April 7th-8th, April 14th-15th, 2009)
1. Villarreal vs Arsenal
2. Manchester United vs Porto
3. Liverpool vs Chelsea
4. Barcelona vs Bayern​

Here are my hopes

1. Arsenal
2. Porto
3. Liverpool
4. Either

Here's my prediction

1. Villareal
2. ManU
3. Liverpool
4. Barcelona

I think Arsenal will manage to not do anything good. ManU will win. Blech. Although: did you see that 17 year old's goal on Sunday--holy crap! As long as Chelsea loses, I'll be happy, even though I'm not necessarily a Liverpool fan. As for the fourth game, I don't really care as long as whoever it is, if they're put in the position, can beat ManU.

I fear ManU will win the whole thing. Then they'll be even more arrogant. Someone kick C. Ronaldo in the teeth for me.

b

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Here are my hopes

1. Arsenal
2. Porto
3. Liverpool
4. Either

Here's my prediction

1. Villareal
2. ManU
3. Liverpool
4. Barcelona

I think Arsenal will manage to not do anything good. ManU will win. Blech. Although: did you see that 17 year old's goal on Sunday--holy crap! As long as Chelsea loses, I'll be happy, even though I'm not necessarily a Liverpool fan. As for the fourth game, I don't really care as long as whoever it is, if they're put in the position, can beat ManU.

I fear ManU will win the whole thing. Then they'll be even more arrogant. Someone kick C. Ronaldo in the teeth for me.

b

I'm with you, except for the Barca ambivalence. And also for thinking Villareal will go through; they're on a run of bad form and have lost Cazorla, while Arsenal got Cesc back.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Having Messi on your club is almost unfair at this point. The guy plays like he's using his hands -- the 6-1 defeat notwithstanding.

And Gerrard has a history of dives. Liverpool is Botch City. Nothing but controversial victories. Although they have stepped it up a notch recently.

Chris2289

Reaction score
I would expect arsenal to get through these games. Having a fresh Cesc should do the trick, plus we can flood the midfield and over-run Senna, who seems to make them tick. Plus i think Villareal lack a top notch striker capable of out pacing or out muscling our back four.

United will coast through.

I think everyone seems to think its a given that liverpool will go through. I am not so sure. Remember Hiddink got PSV within a whisker of the CL final and Chelsea may revel in the underdog status.

Barce should be good enough, I think that it is the tie of the round and be the most open of the 4 games.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wiscogooner
I'd relish an Arsenal v Barca rematch for the final.

As would I.

Seeing Henry play for the other club this time around would be interesting.
bounce2.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads