1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Champions League '08 - '09

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by romafan, Oct 21, 2008.

1. benecios

benecios Senior member

Benecios, at some time you have to stop with how you're the true fan because you go to the games. It's great that you get to go; many are jealous.

What I really find interesting about this though, is there's a real social statement here. For most teams, then, you have to have a certain income level to be considered a supporter, according to your logic. What if you just can't afford the tickets for even a home match? How much are tickets to ManU games?

In the US there are plenty of professional sports teams that cost a lot of money to attend home games. Heck, even a $30 ticket could be a serious luxury to some people.

b

My season ticket is £684 which gives me entry to home games. I can't afford to go to many away games.I earn around £26k which is very modest and probably 10 times lower than a lot of guys on here.You find the money if you want to go to the games,I know people who spend every single penny of their disposable income on getting to the games.
    I don't have a problem per se with people who don't go to games.
    What has got to me is,as I have mentioned more than once,the fans outside the stadium were fantastic.I came on here without any excuses to congratulate Barca and have to read the rantings of a plastic fan.
    As I said not going to the game is no crime but watching a repeat of a live semi-final is a piss take.

2. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

"Everyone get in real close....no, Puyol you stay on the left....ok, that looks good....everyone smile and say 'Benecios is a crybaby!" [​IMG] Hey, Einstein...I don't know if you've heard of this little concept called TIME ZONES. You see when it's all darky dark where you are, it's still brighty bright where I am. And when they play the Champions League games when it's dark, well, plastic dudes (whatever the fuck that means) like myself, are still at work earning MUCH more than you do. In cases like, this I'd rather not follow games on the internet and wait to watch them at home. I'm still not sure why I feel the need to make a case to you. I realllllly don't give a shit what you think. Besides, you're probably #1,000 on the list of things that can come close to wiping the smile that's been stuck on my face since Wednesday.

3. greekonomist

greekonomist Senior member

My season ticket is £684 which gives me entry to home games. I can't afford to go to many away games.I earn around £26k which is very modest and probably 10 times lower than a lot of guys on here.You find the money if you want to go to the games,I know people who spend every single penny of their disposable income on getting to the games.
    I don't have a problem per se with people who don't go to games.
    What has got to me is,as I have mentioned more than once,the fans outside the stadium were fantastic.I came on here without any excuses to congratulate Barca and have to read the rantings of a plastic fan.
    As I said not going to the game is no crime but watching a repeat of a live semi-final is a piss take.

It's not a "piss take." On the East Coast of the US, we're 6 hours behind Rome. Embowafa is in LA--even further behind. That means most of us are at work or in class during weekday CL matches. Did you skip work to watch England play in the 2002 World Cup? I woke up at 3 or 4 in the morning to watch the early games (not the England ones), but then I had to go to school. Don't tell me I'm a plastic fan because I didn't go to Korea or Rome or London or Barcelona. You can be a true fan without it consuming your life or spending a disproportionate amount of your income. It's great that you do that and love your club, but please don't disparage those who don't do as you do.

4. benecios

benecios Senior member

It's not a "piss take." On the East Coast of the US, we're 6 hours behind Rome. Embowafa is in LA--even further behind. That means most of us are at work or in class during weekday CL matches. Did you skip work to watch England play in the 2002 World Cup? I woke up at 3 or 4 in the morning to watch the early games (not the England ones), but then I had to go to school. Don't tell me I'm a plastic fan because I didn't go to Korea or Rome or London or Barcelona. You can be a true fan without it consuming your life or spending a disproportionate amount of your income. It's great that you do that and love your club, but please don't disparage those who don't do as you do.

Every male I know,and I do mean every single one,skipped work to watch England in 2002. However I don't go to many England games,Utd fans aren't usually the biggest followers of the national team but thats another story.
    Look I am fighting a losing battle here,I get 33 days holiday a year so even if you can't get to a game you can at the very least watch the thing live on TV regardless of the timing.

5. benecios

benecios Senior member

"Everyone get in real close....no, Puyol you stay on the left....ok, that looks good....everyone smile and say 'Benecios is a crybaby!"

[​IMG]

Hey, Einstein...I don't know if you've heard of this little concept called TIME ZONES. You see when it's all darky dark where you are, it's still brighty bright where I am. And when they play the Champions League games when it's dark, well, plastic dudes (whatever the fuck that means) like myself, are still at work earning MUCH more than you do. In cases like, this I'd rather not follow games on the internet and wait to watch them at home. I'm still not sure why I feel the need to make a case to you. I realllllly don't give a shit what you think. Besides, you're probably #1,000 on the list of things that can come close to wiping the smile that's been stuck on my face since Wednesday.

If you earn all that money treat yourself to a game you might like it. Its a bit different to watching it on TV,you get to see all the great movement off the ball from your wonderful midfield etc...
    GET THE DAY OFF WORK AND WATCH THE THING LIVE ITS A CHAMPIONS LEAGUE SEMI FINAL FOR FUCKS SAKE.
    P.S.I reckon I could wipe that smile off in under a second.

6. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

If you earn all that money treat yourself to a game you might like it. Its a bit different to watching it on TV,you get to see all the great movement off the ball from your wonderful midfield etc... GET THE DAY OFF WORK AND WATCH THE THING LIVE ITS A CHAMPIONS LEAGUE SEMI FINAL FOR FUCKS SAKE. P.S.I reckon I could wipe that smile off in under a second.
    Nice! Now we've ventured into the Internet Tough Guy Zone. This keeps getting better. [​IMG] BTW, your assumption that I've never seen FC Barcelona play with my own 2 eyes is funny.

7. Germanicus

Germanicus Senior member

@embowafa

On TV they mentioned that Barca played around 60 games this season. How many have you seen?

8. greekonomist

@embowafa

On TV they mentioned that Barca played around 60 games this season. How many have you seen?

I'll answer. I don't have an accurate count, but I've seen around 90% on TV (not all live--the horror!). And I have seen them in person.

9. benecios

benecios Senior member

Nice! Now we've ventured into the Internet Tough Guy Zone. This keeps getting better. [​IMG]

BTW, your assumption that I've never seen FC Barcelona play with my own 2 eyes is funny.

Now we,ve ventured into the Internet Liar Zone. You have never been to a competitive Barca game,you are a plastic clown who watches REPEATS of live games. There will possibly have been more guests on the site than usual because I have received texts from 7 friends who have had a look because they didn't believe someone like you exists.
    Enough is enough now it got futile about 2 pages ago.
    FACT: A team I support got beaten in the Champions League Final,that I was at,by a team you watch 6 hours after they have played.
    FACT:After the game while Utd fans were crying/looking miserable/heads in hands etc...you still didn't know the score,you were in your office earning thousands and thousands which you wouldn't dream of spending on a ticket to see Barca.Congratulations.
    Arguing with such a muppet is pointless so my contribution to said argument ends here.

10. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

@embowafa

So, now I have to prove my fanhood? Uh, shurrr...

I've seen every single league, Copa Del Rey, and CL game on either GolTV, ESPNDeportes, ESPN2, ESPN, or BarcaTV this year. The only game, to my recollection that I did not watch was a league game a few weeks ago that GolTV did not broadcast.

That doesn't count the Joan Gamper Cup vs. Boca Juniors (preseason) that I also watched on ESPN.

Tadda!

11. greekonomist

Attaboy. Do you watch Gol in English or Espanol? Sometimes I just have to get away from Ray Hudson's nuttiness.

12. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

Now we,ve ventured into the Internet Liar Zone. You have never been to a competitive Barca game,you are a plastic clown who watches REPEATS of live games. There will possibly have been more guests on the site than usual because I have received texts from 7 friends who have had a look because they didn't believe someone like you exists. Enough is enough now it got futile about 2 pages ago. FACT: A team I support got beaten in the Champions League Final,that I was at,by a team you watch 6 hours after they have played.
    CORRECTION!!! I watched them 10 hours after they played!! Ahhhhhhh, I can feel my penis shrinking by the second as your coolness grows ever so strong!!!
    CORRECTION!!! I was NOT in my office. I was at lunch with my team. One other correction, the Man U fans were crying/looking miserable/heads in hands WAYYY before the game ended. Somewhere around the 10th minute is when it started, I believe [​IMG]
    Yay!!! I win again!!!!!! embowafa 2 - 0 benecios. Now where have I seen this score before???

13. Germanicus

Germanicus Senior member

So, now I have to prove my fanhood? Uh, shurrr... I've seen every single league, Copa Del Rey, and CL game on either GolTV, ESPNDeportes, ESPN2, ESPN, or BarcaTV this year. The only game, to my recollection that I did not watch was a league game a few weeks ago that GolTV did not broadcast. That doesn't count the Joan Gamper Cup vs. Boca Juniors (preseason) that I also watched on ESPN. Tadda!
    Why are you so bitter?

14. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

Attaboy. Do you watch Gol in English or Espanol? Sometimes I just have to get away from Ray Hudson's nuttiness.
    I have TimeWarner in LA. Most of the time it's in Spanish...every few weeks it'll magically switch to English. I'm fluent in Spanish, so I have no problem. I actually like Ray Hudson...he's very very very very over the top, but IMO he's the closest thing to an English speaking Latin/Spanish style commentator, and I like that.
    Why are you so bitter?
    Not bitter. Maybe I misinterpreted the reason for your question. Sorry. Like I said, nothing's wiping the smile I have away any time soon!!!

15. greekonomist

I have TimeWarner in LA. Most of the time it's in Spanish...every few weeks it'll magically switch to English.

I'm fluent in Spanish, so I have no problem.

I actually like Ray Hudson...he's very very very very over the top, but IMO he's the closest thing to an English speaking Latin/Spanish style commentator, and I like that.

Not bitter. Maybe I misinterpreted the reason for your question. Sorry. Like I said, nothing's wiping the smile I have away any time soon!!!

Yeah, I like him most of the time. But I often watch with friends who don't understand Spanish, so it gets tiring. But his man-crush rants on Deco from a few years ago were some one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

16. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

Yeah, I like him most of the time. But I often watch with friends who don't understand Spanish, so it gets tiring. But his man-crush rants on Deco from a few years ago were some one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

You'd love this...

Hudsonia - The wisdom of Ray Hudson

17. greekonomist

You'd love this...

Hudsonia - The wisdom of Ray Hudson

Indeed I would. Thanks. There was a similar site but its URL has escaped me.

18. Germanicus

Germanicus Senior member

It was just out of interest. IMO we're all gloryhunters but that's normal so I won't make that much of a fuss about it as benecios.

19. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

I have TimeWarner in LA. Most of the time it's in Spanish...every few weeks it'll magically switch to English.

I'm fluent in Spanish, so I have no problem.

I actually like Ray Hudson...he's very very very very over the top, but IMO he's the closest thing to an English speaking Latin/Spanish style commentator, and I like that.

i'm mexican and i hate the announcers in spanish. i would love the tv to have an s.a.p. channel without announcers, just the sound of the environment. that's why the best announcers are the old time british ones. they spoke very little.

the announcers are usually watching the game on a screen, just like you, so why would you want some guy babbling on the whole time? can you imagine going to the game and having some guy babbling on the whole time about what's happening in the game? that's obnoxious. you see what's happening for yourself.

20. ibleedwhite

ibleedwhite Senior member

There's a wikipedia page with the silliest stuff he's ever said.

hes funny though and entertaining to listen to.