• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Champions League '08 - '09

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
I have no dog in this fight, so I don't care who actually won, but I thought I would reply to this statement.

People ALWAYS talk about the style a team plays with. No matter who many games you win, if it's robotic, bunker-behind-your-lines, kind of play, no one will credit you with anything other than "Yeah, they won--but it was ugly and they didn't deserve it."

I know you are not implying this but anyone who suggests Utd play with ten men behind the ball is quite frankly,a moron. We have consistently been the top scorers in the PL and have had some outstanding results in the CL,as Romafan can testify.
I do agree that nobody wants to see that style of play.There was a European Cup Final that was truly dreadful between Red Star and Marseille when Red Star were playing for penalties from the first minute.
However you can go too far the other way where Arsenal are playing stunning football but winning absolutely nothing.

wiscogooner

Reaction score
Originally Posted by benecios
However you can go too far the other way where Arsenal are playing stunning football but winning absolutely nothing.

True. Arsenal's best seasons trophy-wise have been littered with red cards. There's got to be a balance between the physical and fluid aspects of the game.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know you are not implying this but...

Like I said, I have no dog in your argument. I don't even recollect (and likely didn't have a chance to see) the game you're talking about.

b

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Like I said, I have no dog in your argument. I don't even recollect (and likely didn't have a chance to see) the game you're talking about.

b

I know Bob,reading it back it didn't really come across as I intended.
Apologies.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know Bob,reading it back it didn't really come across as I intended.
Apologies.

Oh no, no apologies necessary.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know you are not implying this but anyone who suggests Utd play with ten men behind the ball is quite frankly,a moron. We have consistently been the top scorers in the PL and have had some outstanding results in the CL,as Romafan can testify.
I do agree that nobody wants to see that style of play.There was a European Cup Final that was truly dreadful between Red Star and Marseille when Red Star were playing for penalties from the first minute.

No one's arguing 'scoreboard'....ManU won and overall, they deserved it. Barcelona was **** last year and were playing above their heads.

However, the fact of the matter remains that Manchester United won by playing 10 behind the ball for 180 minutes. It's a fact. They had 27% possession in the away leg and 38% in the home leg. How is that NOT bunkering?

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say Chelsea now have one foot in the final,especially as Barca have to go to Stamford Bridge with no Puyol or Marquez.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would say Chelsea now have one foot in the final,especially as Barca have to go to Stamford Bridge with no Puyol or Marquez.

...but the refree was a scandal. fffffffffffffffffffffff

wiscogooner

Reaction score
What a ******* shitpile that game was. Wenger needs to buy defenders/holding midfielders this summer.

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Utd completely dominated from start to finish.I just hope we don't regret the missed chances,I honestly believe a winning margin of 3 or 4 goals would be a fair reflection of the game.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I rarely say this but the score definitely did not tell the whole story. And I second the idea of Wenger purchasing some competent defenders.

Being a United fan, I'm still disappointed in their poor finishing.

ibleedwhite

Reaction score
Wow it looked like boys vs men out there.

Wenger needs to stop trying these useless tactics..the boys didnt know whether to attack or defend at times.

United done everything they were asked except get the second goal. Arsenal were rather fortunate not to lose this game by more than one goal.

Apart from a Fabregas effort in the first half, a chest and shot by Adebayor and a poor guided header by Bender, Arsenal didn't look like creating many chances.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ibleedwhite
Arsenal were rather fortunate not to lose this game by more than one goal.

That's the frustrating thing. What does it say about a team when their finishing is ****? Sure, it's a win but with the chances they had, you'd expect some more goals.

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say the finishing was ****,we rattled the bar and Almunia pulled off a few great saves.I haven't watch it back on TV yet but from memory I would say Tevez' chance was the only bad miss.
1-0 is still a fantastic result,we only have to score at the Emirates and Arsenal are in trouble.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I suppose I still have a bad taste in my mouth following the recent matches with Porto and Everton.

Nevertheless, I am glad for the result. A small part of me still would like a Gunners - Barca rematch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads