1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Champions League '08 - '09

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by romafan, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

I rarely say this but the score definitely did not tell the whole story. And I second the idea of Wenger purchasing some competent defenders.

Being a United fan, I'm still disappointed in their poor finishing.

2. ibleedwhite

ibleedwhite Senior member

Wow it looked like boys vs men out there.

Wenger needs to stop trying these useless tactics..the boys didnt know whether to attack or defend at times.

United done everything they were asked except get the second goal. Arsenal were rather fortunate not to lose this game by more than one goal.

Apart from a Fabregas effort in the first half, a chest and shot by Adebayor and a poor guided header by Bender, Arsenal didn't look like creating many chances.

3. Neo_Version 7

Arsenal were rather fortunate not to lose this game by more than one goal.

That's the frustrating thing. What does it say about a team when their finishing is shit? Sure, it's a win but with the chances they had, you'd expect some more goals.

4. benecios

benecios Senior member

I wouldn't say the finishing was shit,we rattled the bar and Almunia pulled off a few great saves.I haven't watch it back on TV yet but from memory I would say Tevez' chance was the only bad miss.
    1-0 is still a fantastic result,we only have to score at the Emirates and Arsenal are in trouble.

5. Neo_Version 7

I suppose I still have a bad taste in my mouth following the recent matches with Porto and Everton.

Nevertheless, I am glad for the result. A small part of me still would like a Gunners - Barca rematch.

6. wiscogooner

wiscogooner Senior member

I fully "get" Arsene's youth policy. He wants to create talent and not pay through the nose for it and all the while stroke egos just to make sure it shows up on game day. That makes sense.

But I really think that the missing element in that equation is experience. The younger guys need to play alongside other players who have seen every level of competition. And if Mikael Silvestre is the picture of Arsenal's experience then thats just sad.

When Cesc and RVP started at Arsenal they were playing alongside guys like Patrick Vieira, Dennis Bergkamp, Thierry Henry and Robert Pires. Maybe with the obvious quality and experience Arshavin has brought to the side, Wenger will take notice and realize that he needs more experienced players.

Gibbs took Ronaldo apart today and that's the only reason United didn't have 4-5 goals on the scoresheet. The rest of the team (aside from Almunia) looked dogged and lethargic.

7. ibleedwhite

ibleedwhite Senior member

I suppose I still have a bad taste in my mouth following the recent matches with Porto and Everton.

Nevertheless, I am glad for the result. A small part of me still would like a Gunners - Barca rematch.

Me too..

8. benecios

benecios Senior member

Maybe "fan" has a different meaning over there. No part of me whatsoever wants a Final without Utd. I live and breathe it.

9. Neo_Version 7

I want a Utd. that deserves to be there.

10. Chris2289

Chris2289 Senior member

I fully "get" Arsene's youth policy. He wants to create talent and not pay through the nose for it and all the while stroke egos just to make sure it shows up on game day. That makes sense.

But I really think that the missing element in that equation is experience. The younger guys need to play alongside other players who have seen every level of competition. And if Mikael Silvestre is the picture of Arsenal's experience then thats just sad.

When Cesc and RVP started at Arsenal they were playing alongside guys like Patrick Vieira, Dennis Bergkamp, Thierry Henry and Robert Pires. Maybe with the obvious quality and experience Arshavin has brought to the side, Wenger will take notice and realize that he needs more experienced players.

Gibbs took Ronaldo apart today and that's the only reason United didn't have 4-5 goals on the scoresheet. The rest of the team (aside from Almunia) looked dogged and lethargic.

I genuinely believe that if wenger can keep the core of this team together over the summer and add a centre mid to replace Song and cash in on Bendtner (who i like but i just don't think has it unfortunately) we can challenge for all of the majors. Whatever happens in the 2nd leg I think this team has done very well to get to the Semi's and there is so much to build on.

With regards to the youngsters having the likes of Bergkamp, Vieira and Henry to play with I think you have a valid point to an extent. I think Flamini & Cesc befitted from Vieira and its a shame Flamini left the club. But with the case of Henry I never felt he was captain material and I think all of the Attacking players have benefited without his overbearing presence. The amount of times I saw him moan at Cesc, Theo and Van P for not passing to him, it was not the way to nurture them and they have grown into their own players in his absence.

This team is so close to having all the elements and I am so confident that next season our attacking talent and creativity will be too strong for all.

11. wiscogooner

wiscogooner Senior member

The amount of times I saw him moan at Cesc, Theo and Van P for not passing to him, it was not the way to nurture them and they have grown into their own players in his absence.

This team is so close to having all the elements and I am so confident that next season our attacking talent and creativity will be too strong for all.

Fully agreed. Toward the end of Henry's Arsenal career he was a bit overbearing.

I think Song and Denilson are top class when they're playing well. But, Flamini they're not. Ever. I get so damn tired of watching the squad WALK up and down the pitch. I'd rather see players have to come off because they're too tired than because they're ineffective. Flamini's last season at Arsenal was brilliant and the staple of his play was how hard he worked. A Mascherano or Alonso-esque player is needed.

Cesc is more of a holding midfielder than attacking. He can tackle and is at his most creative when linking the back 4 to the strikers yet he's played up front behind Adebayor who's either constantly offside or not running (he's supposedly one of the fastest players in the squad but you'd never know.)

Toure and Djourou pair well but Djourou seems injury-prone, and Sagna/Clichy/Gibbs can cope well with any striker. Be nice to have a back-up RB also.

We'll see I suppose. I'm guessing Adebayor will be gone in the summer.

12. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

I want a Utd. that deserves to be there.

And how are you defining 'deserve'?

The days of Utd playing "we don't care how much you score, we'll just score one more than you" football is long gone.

I agree that Utd should've had more in that game but Almunia was outstanding in goal.

13. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

+1. Utd have been playing a good mix of entertaining football and getting results. It's been good being a fan and I've been a supporter and watching them since Norman Whiteside was there.

14. romafan

romafan Senior member

15. Neo_Version 7

Poor defending on Arsenal's part but I for one am content with the result.

16. romafan

romafan Senior member

Poor defending on Arsenal's part but I for one am content with the result.

Whaaa? [​IMG] Kick off is over an hour away....

17. benecios

benecios Senior member

Easy easy easy easy. Wenger's face is priceless.

18. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

19. benecios

benecios Senior member

Thats what I'm talking about. Boom!!
    Its all about the bunkering baby!!

20. Neo_Version 7

Whaaa? [​IMG] Kick off is over an hour away....

Er....I was referring to the first leg. I'm sorry, romafan.

And I'm really sorry, Arsenal fans.