• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Champagne

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would agree that it's more common for Champagne to be had before the meal, and I think you'd have to have something fairly insubstantial to drink Champagne throughout, as I can't imagine it standing up to say, lamb, or filet mignon.

Styleman

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
(Styleman @ Jan. 17 2005,17:22) I understood what you were saying about the champagne with the foie gras, and scallops. As I thought, wine is better, but quite often with the company I am with, wine does not meet their tastes.
Here are suggestions, taken from a French website. Â I think it's pretty self-explanatory, or does it need translation? Pour les entrÃ
00a9.png
es : poissons, crustacÃ
00a9.png
s, jambon un champagne très sec, un BRUT. Par exemple : GASTON CHIQUET tradition Brut, DEVAUX cuvÃ
00a9.png
e D, PIPER-HEIDSIECK cuvÃ
00a9.png
e rare. Pour le foie gras, un demi-sec, plus rond s'impose : VEUVE CLIQUOT 1/2 sec, pour les plats à base de truffes, plus aromatisÃ
00a9.png
e, un Brut millÃ
00a9.png
simÃ
00a9.png
d'au moins 10 ans. Pour les plats : poissons, crustacÃ
00a9.png
s chauds, un champagne jeune 92-93 MUMM CORDON ROUGE, NICOLAS FEUILLATTE cuvÃ
00a9.png
e Palmes d'Or, FLEURY cuvÃ
00a9.png
e Fleur de l'Europe. Pour les gibiers à plumes : un champagne fruitÃ
00a9.png
, puissant, millÃ
00a9.png
simÃ
00a9.png
: RENE GEOFFROY cuvÃ
00a9.png
e SÃ
00a9.png
lection, BOLLINGER grande annÃ
00a9.png
e de 90. Pour la volaille et viande blanche : champagne Brut millÃ
00a9.png
simÃ
00a9.png
de 85 Ã 93. Fromages : le champagne se marie bien avec POMMERY WINTERTIME Desserts : c'est plus dÃ
00a9.png
licat. Il vaut mieux Ã
00a9.png
viter le champagne et le servir après le repas. A ce moment-là , on choisit du sublime KRUGG 88, DON PERIGNON rosÃ
00a9.png
90, BOLLINGER R.D 81, POMMERY cuvÃ
00a9.png
e Louise 88, etc... Autres choix : Avec du saumon lÃ
00a9.png
gèrement fumÃ
00a9.png
: une VEUVE CLIQUOT RosÃ
00a9.png
. Avec une viande comme l'agneau, une poularde ou du gibier à plumes, une VEUVE PONSARDIN RosÃ
00a9.png
A few words please: crustacÃ
00a9.png
s très sec, un BRUT à base de truffes, plus aromatisÃ
00a9.png
e, crustacÃ
00a9.png
s chauds les gibiers à plumes puissant, millÃ
00a9.png
simÃ
00a9.png
00a9.png
gèrement viande comme l'agneau

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although I do not wish to be disrespectful, and I would say though the finest cuisine is indeed French, etiquette is a British, and even more so a Swiss forte.
Britain and Switzerland can do whatever they wish with French champagne, but France is allowed continue with its own traditions and etiquette.
wink.gif

Styleman

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
(Styleman @ Jan. 17 2005,17:33) Although I do not wish to be disrespectful, and I would say though the finest cuisine is indeed French, etiquette is a British, and even more so a Swiss forte.
Britain and Switzerland can do whatever they wish with French champagne, but France is allowed continue with its own traditions and etiquette. Â
wink.gif

I know its very stupid that we take your drink, and drink it in a different way.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
crustacÃ
00a9.png
s = any of those little critters from the sea covered with a hard shell.
très sec, un BRUT = Very dry
à base de truffes, plus aromatisÃ
00a9.png
e, = dishes with truffles (I suppose any variety of black or white), whose aroma is very pungent
crustacÃ
00a9.png
s chauds = above critters served hot
les gibiers à plumes = game with feathers. :O))
puissant, millÃ
00a9.png
simÃ
00a9.png
= powerful, vintage year
00a9.png
gèrement = slightly, lightly
viande comme l'agneau = meats such as lamb

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Fabienne @ Jan. 17 2005,22:42)
Originally Posted by Styleman,Jan. 17 2005,17:33
Although I do not wish to be disrespectful, and I would say though the finest cuisine is indeed French, etiquette is a British, and even more so a Swiss forte.
Britain and Switzerland can do whatever they wish with French champagne, but France is allowed continue with its own traditions and etiquette. Â
wink.gif

I know its very stupid that we take your drink, and drink it in a different way.
No, it's not, it's beautiful. Make it yours, enjoy it.

Styleman

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
On Saturday evening I had This menu which consisted of a palet clensing dish of lentils followed by seared Foie Gras, followed by scallops, followed by Venison, followed by Red Mullet, followed by Prune and Amarac soufle, finishing with a cheese board. We began with Martini dry at a nearby bar, followed by a bottle of Dom Perignon 95, and then a Krug Grand Curvee 88, and then Alain Thienot NV, and then Paradis Cognac. What are the views? Perhaps too heavy a meal for just Champagne (Similar style dishes)

Styleman

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
crustacÃ
00a9.png
s = any of those little critters from the sea covered with a hard shell.
très sec, un BRUT = Very dry
à base de truffes, plus aromatisÃ
00a9.png
e, = dishes with truffles (I suppose any variety of black or white), whose aroma is very pungent
crustacÃ
00a9.png
s chauds = above critters served hot
les gibiers à plumes = game with feathers.  :O))
puissant, millÃ
00a9.png
simÃ
00a9.png
= powerful, vintage year
00a9.png
gèrement = slightly, lightly
viande comme l'agneau  = meats such as lamb
Thank you.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In my opinion, that's too heavy a meal to serve with Champagne, but if you enjoyed it, that's all that matters. I would have served a nice bordeaux or cab with the venison.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On Saturday evening I had This menu which consisted of a palet clensing dish of lentils followed by seared Foie Gras, followed by scallops, followed by Venison, followed by Red Mullet, followed by Prune and Amarac soufle, finishing with a cheese board. We began with Martini dry at a nearby bar, followed by a bottle of Dom Perignon 95, and then a Krug Grand Curvee 88, and then Alain Thienot NV, and then Paradis Cognac. What are the views? Perhaps too heavy a meal for just Champagne (Similar style dishes)
Why not? I wouldn't, but that's only because of my lack of appreciation for champagne. It was a prune and armagnac souffle, wasn't it? Prune as in liqueur de prune, or prune as in plum? They served cheese last?.

Styleman

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Styleman,Jan. 17 2005,17:58
On Saturday evening I had This menu which consisted of a palet clensing dish of lentils followed by seared Foie Gras, followed by scallops, followed by Venison, followed by Red Mullet, followed by Prune and Amarac soufle, finishing with a cheese board. We began with Martini dry at a nearby bar, followed by a bottle of Dom Perignon 95, and then a Krug Grand Curvee 88, and then Alain Thienot NV, and then Paradis Cognac. What are the views? Perhaps too heavy a meal for just Champagne (Similar style dishes) Why not? Â I wouldn't, but that's only because of my lack of appreciation for champagne. It was a prune and armagnac souffle, wasn't it? Â Prune as in liqueur de prune, or prune as in plum? They served cheese last?.
Yes, prune and armagnac souffle, prune as in plum. No cheese was before the desert, sorry for the error. What are your views on seared Foie Gras, personaly I find it a horrible way to serve it, I much prefer it spread on melba toast from the musolin with a knife diped in warm water.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really like seared foie gras, especially with the right wine pairing. It is nice served country style as well, when I was at restaurant "Alsace" in Paris, they served it country style with baguettes and it was surprisingly good.

Styleman

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I really like seared foie gras, especially with the right wine pairing.  It is nice served country style as well, when I was at restaurant "Alsace" in Paris, they served it country style with baguettes and it was surprisingly good.
How do you preffer it?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
seared with a port wine reduction, served with a nice Sauternes. I had this exact combination at Prime several months ago, looking forward to something similar at Bouchon this weekend.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I might order a raw one through D'artagnan, invite a full table of friends, and see how it goes over. I've never had foie gras other than in the traditional jar presentation. It's good enough for me, and I'm a little apprehensive about cooking a raw one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads