• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

champagne as shoe polish

Allen

Reaction score
OK, so how is this done? I guess you're not supposed to just soak a cloth in champagne and get to work. So, how does this work?

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of it, but would imagine the alcohol in the champagne would cause damage to the shoe finish, and who knows what other damage. Why don't you give it a try and let us know??

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have also heard this, something along he lines of Berluti customers beige invited to a VIP gathering at which they admire their shoes and polish them using champagne and wax polish.

I beg forgiveness fir spelling errors, alchohol, chubby fingers and an iPhone are not easy bed fellows.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Swann Club evidently uses Dom Perignon champagne as a polishing agent, which to the cynical, would seem like an extravagant marketing stunt given that Dom is a product of Moet and Berluti is owned by LVMH.

fletch

Reaction score
This is all down to Beau Brummel being a smart arse. its nonesense and you shouldn't do it.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
I have also heard this, something along he lines of Berluti customers beige invited to a VIP gathering at which they admire their shoes and polish them using champagne and wax polish.

I beg forgiveness fir spelling errors, alchohol, chubby fingers and an iPhone are not easy bed fellows.

The Swann club...They use Dom Perignon to polish their shoes...

Essentially a club for very posh people...

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I own Belutti shoes that I purchased in London and Paris so I had a chance to talk to the store managers about polishing their shoes with champagne. In each case, they smiled, rolled their eyes and suggested that polishing with champagne is fun but water is suggested. It was the Paris store where the manager said with a grin, "it makes a good story, no?". The London store said, "(British) GQ had just mentioned it in a recent article so everyone is asking us. We don't even use champagne, we use water. Water helps to open up the pores of the leather to accept more polish and wax."

So, when I polish my shoes, if I want a high gloss shine, I drink champagne and use water on my shoes.
smile.gif

Allen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MoosicPa
I've never heard of it, but would imagine the alcohol in the champagne would cause damage to the shoe finish

Not really. The amount of alcohol in champagne is small, like in a beer. I spilled beer on my shoes a couple of times, wiped it off, no harm done.
Anyway, thanks for the answers, I'll stick to my banana peel
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads