1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Chambray - is it denim or oxford?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by a-rock, Apr 30, 2009.

1. a-rock

a-rock Senior member

What type of fabric exactly is chambray? Is it a soft denim? An oxford?

I want to have a MTM chambray shirt done but not sure what fabric I should be choosing. I asked Tailorstore and they said one of their blue oxfords. I'm afraid it'll end up looking like an oxford BD shirt.

Is there something specific about chambray fabric I should be looking for?

2. Drinkwaters

Drinkwaters Senior member

cham·bray
    Pronunciation:
    \\ˈsham-ˌbrā, -brē\\
    Function:
    noun
    Etymology:
    irregular from Cambrai, France
    Date:

: a lightweight clothing fabric with colored warp and white filling yarns

It is also available in colors other than Blue.

It is not an Oxford weave.

3. zissou

zissou Senior member

Chambray has a white weft and a colored warp like denim, but in denim each warp thread goes over two wefts and under one, whereas with chambray it is over one, under one. Probably the main difference I can see between oxford cloth and chambray is that chambray should a looser weave of larger (heavier) thread (but I could be making this up). Isn't oxford cloth where two warp yarns are woven together, and often a synthetic blend with a bit of lustre?

4. KlezmerBlues

KlezmerBlues Senior member

What type of fabric exactly is chambray? Is it a soft denim? An oxford?

I want to have a MTM chambray shirt done but not sure what fabric I should be choosing. I asked Tailorstore and they said one of their blue oxfords. I'm afraid it'll end up looking like an oxford BD shirt.

Is there something specific about chambray fabric I should be looking for?

My guess is on what Tailorstore call "fil-Ã -fil". I'm really not sure though.

5. greekonomist

greekonomist Senior member

oxford is a type of basket weave, if that helps.