• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chalk stripes at a wedding?

mic

Reaction score
It seems like SF Groupthink TM frowns on pinstripes at non-business functions, and I wonder if this extends to chalk stripes?

A family member is getting married on an April evening, on a beach in Key West. The wedding party will be in black tie.

I have two suits to choose from, and one of them (gray nailhead) is getting a serious workout as an interview suit, making it less fun to wear to a celebration.

That leaves a navy chalk stripe wool-linen blend with peaked lapels- It's a lot like this, but single breasted, with slightly narrower lapels... it's still a baller suit, though... and I'm not a baller like this guy. I'm mid-30's and trim.

beppe.jpg

nest.gif
Anything I can do (say, with shirt, tie or PS) to make it more of a wedding suit?

Cheers,
mic

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
White shirt and silver tie would dress it up IMO.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wouldn't do it.

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uh...a beach on Key West? Not many beaches there and it is a VERY casual place. Sure that something more in tune with the surroundings wouldn't be appropriate? I've been to several beach weddings (including my own, Abacos in the Bahamas). The only person I've seen wear a serious suit was the fellow performing the service. Everyone else was stylishly casual.

Annadale

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PorterInjax
Uh...a beach on Key West? Not many beaches there and it is a VERY casual place. Sure that something more in tune with the surroundings wouldn't be appropriate? I've been to several beach weddings (including my own, Abacos in the Bahamas). The only person I've seen wear a serious suit was the fellow performing the service. Everyone else was stylishly casual.

Unstructured linen suit would be good. Pinstripes hot to wear and out of place.

mic

Reaction score

Understood, but the wedding party will be in black tie as noted in the original post. Additionally, the bride has requested that male family members wear a suit.

The suit in question is, in fact, 60% linen. Edit: Whoops, my bad, it's 50/50 wool/linen.

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mic
Understood, but the wedding party will be in black tie as noted in the original post. Additionally, the bride has requested that male family members wear a suit.

The suit in question is, in fact, 60% linen. Edit: Whoops, my bad, it's 50/50 wool/linen.

Mic,
Sorry, I missed the part about black tie. At my wedding, several male attendees wore seersucker. A tan linen suit would look good in the keys as well.

saiyar1

Reaction score
Why not dress up in what you're thinking of wearing and post a pic?

Just trying to picture this in my head... What if you did the suit you are considering with a white shirt and go colorful with the tie? Maybe a lighter orangish color? Maybe a white shirt and an off white tie with a pattern? That's what first comes to mind when I think of using your darker suit in a tropical place.

Archibald Longfellow

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mic

Just because the wedding party is in black tie doesn't mean the guests have to be. Being requested to wear a suit doesn't mean black tie either.

Frankly if the invitation doesn't stioulate black tie, wear whatever suit you want

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Archibald Longfellow
Just because the wedding party is in black tie doesn't mean the guests have to be. Being requested to wear a suit doesn't mean black tie either.

Frankly if the invitation doesn't stioulate black tie, wear whatever suit you want

^ the correct answer.

smith

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mic
It seems like SF Groupthink TM frowns on pinstripes at non-business functions, and I wonder if this extends to chalk stripes?

A family member is getting married on an April evening, on a beach in Key West. The wedding party will be in black tie.

I have two suits to choose from, and one of them (gray nailhead) is getting a serious workout as an interview suit, making it less fun to wear to a celebration.

That leaves a navy chalk stripe wool-linen blend with peaked lapels- It's a lot like this, but single breasted, with slightly narrower lapels... it's still a baller suit, though... and I'm not a baller like this guy. I'm mid-30's and trim.

beppe.jpg

nest.gif
Anything I can do (say, with shirt, tie or PS) to make it more of a wedding suit?

Cheers,
mic

bigstar[1].gif
The old man look fantastic in this outfits.
musicboohoo[1].gif

Matt S

Reaction score
I'd consider chalkstripes worse at a wedding than pinstripes. Pinstripes still aren't the best choice, but the narrower spaced the better.

mic

Reaction score
Hmmm, thanks for the comments.

I do still have the other suit, which is grey and has a much more "wedding" vibe. I actually had the wedding in mind when I bought it. It's just that doing 11 interviews in 3 months has made putting it on seem like such a chore.

I might post an image of the chalk stripe outfit at some point, but I haven't got the tie.
I was thinking white shirt with french cuffs, canary yellow silk four in hand tie, white pocket square, black cap toes/belt.

Unfortunately, I wrecked my only linen suit 3 years ago, and can't afford one now, though I'd love to pick up something in slate blue.

mic

Reaction score
Mic,
Sorry, I missed the part about black tie. At my wedding, several male attendees wore seersucker. A tan linen suit would look good in the keys as well.

No prob! It's just that the bride wants a formal wedding in an informal location...
sarcasm.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads