Chalk-stripe navy suit jacket with gray pants?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by DGP, Aug 25, 2006.

1. DGP

DGP Senior member

I have a navy Dolce suit with a lightish grayish chalk stripe, and was thinking about pairing it with a pair of gray slacks. Right now, the pants on this suit have gotten too big (I lost a bit of weight since I got it), and I have to have my tailor fix them. The jacket is still perfect though. Is it wrong to match a suit jacket with other pants once (no extra "wear"), and a more casual shirt for casual Friday? Or does this always look wrong?

2. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

yuck

Here is the thing, the look always look contrived. Now with jeans you might be able to pull it off but a striped jacket without matching trousers always looks horrid.

3. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

i dont think that would be a good idea, too.

4. EL72

EL72 Senior member

Is it wrong to match a suit jacket with other pants once (no extra "wear"), and a more casual shirt for casual Friday?

[​IMG]

5. DGP

DGP Senior member

I guess I'll just have to do the suit w/o tie for CF tomorrow. . .

6. EL72

EL72 Senior member

I guess I'll just have to do the suit w/o tie for CF tomorrow. . .

Wear a blazer or sportcoat. Pretty much any color will go w/grey slacks. Even a solid suit jacket (while not the best choice) will be better than a chalkstripe.

7. DGP

DGP Senior member

Wear a blazer or sportcoat. Pretty much any color will go w/grey slacks. Even a solid suit jacket (while not the best choice) will be better than a chalkstripe.

I don't have sport coats. I invest all my dress-clothes budget in suits because, as a general rule, I enjoy them so much more. I've worn each of my three work suits already this week, just wanted something different. I suppose I'll go discount shopping this weekend, see what kinds of deals Off 5th has on some more suits [​IMG].

8. Tuerney1

Tuerney1 Well-Known Member

Looks like everyone is in general agreement. Personally, I like the odd dark chalk-striped suit jacket with distressed jeans and a dark tee, but that's probably an edgier look than casual Friday intends. [​IMG] Edit: Suits are great, and I certainly don't want to butt in...but you might consider getting a blazer or navy/charcoal odd jacket. It's amazing how many more options this provides combined with the same (and different) ties and shirts that go with your suits and a few pairs of odd trousers (gray, khaki, whatever). I'd expect that one piece of clothing would provide, literally, dozens of new wardrobe options that are appropriate for both work and play.