• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chalk-stripe flannel pants to go with odd jacket?

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Following advice received on this forum (thanks), I recently refrained from getting myself a chalk-stripe flannel odd jacket; instead I got myself a charcoal "cashco" odd jacket and a herringbone mauve "shetlair" odd jacket (both MTM by Ermenegildo Zegna) (I was not to happy with the original fit of the "cashco" jacklet when it arrived, but after some adaptations I am now very pleased with the result; the "shetlair" one just arrived at the shop and I still have to go and try it on) .
With the charcoal one I ordered a pair of grey flannel pants that I just love; wonderful cloth.
Now, as none of the jackets has a very prominent pattern (the herringbone is quite subtle), I am thinking about the possibility of wearing striped pants with them. Especially, I am attracted by the idea of getting a pair of grey chalk-stripe flannel pants. What do you think? Would it look to "odd" or "extreme"? Are there any "rules"?

taillfuzz

Reaction score
It should look fine as long as the striped pants don't appear to be the remnants of a suit. If the trousers appear to be part of a suit you will look strange.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Striped odd trousers seem more difficult to pair. If you want patterns on the pants, I would go with flannel windowpane instead.

How about something like this?

Attachment 1875

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks nice, allthough I am not too fond of the colours (I like the colours of shoe and belth, though). Yeah, you may be right, it may be difficult to get something that does not look like orphane suit trousers (or is there any "trick" that can be used?).
That is, I understand from the comments above that the problem with chalke-stripe flannel odd trousers would be approximately the same as those with a chalke-stripe odd jacket... The kind of cloth I was thinking about was actually a cloth intended for a suit.
In any case, if anybode has suggestions on a nice cloth for odd trousers with some kind of pattern, I would be thankful for suggestions (and pics). All of my dress pants are plain, that is, I mean, no pattern, and I think I would like something different, for a change.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks nice, allthough I am not too fond of the colours (I like the colours of shoe and belth, though)
The pic is just an example of windowpane with odd trousers. Forget about the colors, as you can buy whatever color in the world you want.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like striped odd trousers - ever. They always look like orphaned pants. Windowpanes, plaids, checks, houndstooths... can work but they are tricky to pulll off, ymmv.

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
I don't like striped odd trousers - ever. They always look like orphaned pants. Windowpanes, plaids, checks, houndstooths... can work but they are tricky to pulll off, ymmv.
My experience is very much the same. I have one subtly-striped pair of odd trousers, but I don't feel comfortable wearing anything more conspicuous. My only patterned odd trousers are prince of wales glenchecks, which I find work pretty well. Maybe I'll try some windowpanes next.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master Shake
My experience is very much the same. I have one subtly-striped pair of odd trousers, but I don't feel comfortable wearing anything more conspicuous. My only patterned odd trousers are prince of wales glenchecks, which I find work pretty well. Maybe I'll try some windowpanes next.

Interesting. I find the PoW patterned odd trouser hardest to pull off. What do you wear it with, Shake?

taillfuzz

Reaction score
Windowpane trousers are wonderful. I also like a bold plaid flannel if the colors are right, very stylish.

Stax

Reaction score
i think olive glen plaid odd trousers are pretty easy to pull off with a solid navy or dark grey herringbone odd jacket.
3168.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads