• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chalk-stripe as odd jacket?

acole

Reaction score
My impression has always been that one should not wear pinstripes as odd jackets, because they look like orphaned suitcoats.  Of course, I've also see a lot of pinstriped offerings by Banana Republic and the like which run counter to that rule.

What's the consensus on a bold chalk-stripe on navy/black/gray?  "Must" it also be worn as part of a suit, or can it survive the untimely demise of its matching trousers?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
What are you trying to do, get me banned?

Strictly speaking, it is against the rules.  The only exceptions would be tropical weight awning stripes, which look really ... out there, and shetland tweed stripes, which look nothing like suit stripes (much wider, and usually doubled or tripled, with multiple colors in the stripe), and aren't made much any more.

But -- like black suits, a lot of guys love the look, and as the authority of the rules continues to erode, it is gaining wider and wider acceptance.

acole

Reaction score
If it makes a difference, Manton, it wasn't an academic question; I was pondering this jacket:
chalkstripe7jf.jpg
I like the SB peak lapels and the chalk stripe...but of course there are no matching trousers. Â
confused.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
If it makes a difference, Manton, it wasn't an academic question; I was pondering this jacket:
chalkstripe7jf.jpg
I like the SB peak lapels and the chalk stripe...but of course there are no matching trousers. Â
confused.gif
To me, that screams "I am a suit coat."

acole

Reaction score
Yeah, I let it go.  That's always been my intention for a bespoke/MTM suit if I were to visit Chan--a SB peak lapel with chalk-stripe.  Probably dark gray rather than black, which this was.  Trying to find matching trousers separately would've been pretty unrealistic.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Actually I bust out a similar jacket (by Corneliani) with jeans from time to time... I think it can work... but then again, it's probably not for everyone. I really like bold pinstripes though.

Brian SD

Reaction score
My vote is against it. I think pinstripe suits look great but just a coat looks out of place without matching pants.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
To me it's the opposite - pinstripes definitely not, but a bold chalk stripe could work as long as the jacket is slim and short with a soft shoulder. If it looks like an orphaned suitcoat, I'd skip it...

stache

Reaction score
Slightly off topic but I have seen a couple of guys this winter who were wearing pinstripe pants with leather jackets and they looked terrific.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, the pinstripe blazer look (sportscoat, I would say) is the typical jackass attire. Pair it with distressed diesel jeans and puma sneakers to complete the look.
So, my vote is a big no.

I don't like chalk stripes, so I won't tell you anything about them : for me, stripes should only be seen from upclose.

I have gorgeous pinstripe (subbtle) dark navy blue Costume National pants, and I occasionally pair them with a Costume National brown leather jacket. It's a very italian look, so I save it for special occasions.

.luc

ChanFan

Reaction score
What about the opposite: I have a pair of light pinstripe charcoal trousers. Would wearing these with a navy blazer on top be appropriate?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, the pinstripe blazer look (sportscoat, I would say) is the typical jackass attire. Pair it with distressed diesel jeans and puma sneakers to complete the look. So, my vote is a big no.
For once, I agree with Luc. Â
biggrin.gif
That the odd pinstripe/chalkstripe jacket is becoming popular at BR and the like is another reason to eschew the look. Â I try to avoid looking like I take my style cues from the mannequins at BR. dan

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Personally, I abhor the look of a striped odd-jacket with trousers, which are usually jeans. But it's a very shrewd move on the part of retailers: get men to spend more on a garment, but don't deprive them of their beloved denim.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
What about the opposite: I have a pair of light pinstripe charcoal trousers.  Would wearing these with a navy blazer on top be appropriate?
No. Striped odd trousers are for daytime formal wear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads